Lose skin

Options
Someone please help me! I have been overweight my entire life. I hit my highest last year at 314 lbs. I am now eating healthier and going to the classes at my local gym 5 days a week. I have had 3 kids. I would like to know, if I am exercising good and eating good and lose weight at a healthy rate, how much extra skin will I end up having? I am so scared that it will be a large amount since I have been so heavy. Please someone help me with this. Even if it is not the answer I want, I would like to know. Thank you!

Replies

• SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I guess that this cant be answered accurately because we are all different.
    I lost 2 and half stone a couple of years ago and I am now really slim BUT iIhave loose skin around the abdomen area and no matter what I do it wont go away.
    I do cardio every day loads of tummy toning and abbs work and it just stays there laughing at me. It is so frustrating.

I guess the only real answer is to go under the knife and thats not an option.

Remember we are all different. Once that skin is stretched and the weight is lost there is nowhere for it to go. True it will shrink back a little but not all the way.

Probably not what you wanted to hear Im sure but Im being honest about MY situation.

Keep smiling and keep loosing the weight honey you will fell so much better about yourself and the loose skin is just a side effect which is inevatable.
    XXX Trev
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It is hard for anyone to say. It depends on many factors.

Lose the weight slowly will help. Lifting heavy weights will help. Staying hydrated and getting enough protein, fats and water should help.

Unfortunately, you will end up with some. It depends a lot on your genetics.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will be a "large amount" because you are not undergoing a gastric bypass that causes you to lose 100lbs in a few months. You are doing it the right way with healthy eating and exercise so the skin should shrink with the fat. Being big like us will of course leave a little extra at the end, but that is nothing compared to a 100lbs of fat clogging every part of our body! Keep exercising + weight lifting and how we feel on the inside will outweigh anything else!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The elasticity of your skin depends on several factors including your age, sex and ethnicity. I've lost 149 pounds and have a lot of loose skin but it is much easier to hide under clothing when it is fairly flat than when it is extended. i hope that is encouraging. Of course you can have excess skin removed through plastic surgery. My insurance co will not cover cometic surgery. Congrats on your success.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is hard for anyone to say. It depends on many factors.

Lose the weight slowly will help. Lifting heavy weights will help. Staying hydrated and getting enough protein, fats and water should help.

Unfortunately, you will end up with some. It depends a lot on your genetics.

This... Also, I know Omega3 is good for the Skin as well.

I also read an article that suggested that lose skin is still fat on the body. that you want to push yourself to get down below 10% BF (for guys) and that it will also help with loose skin. After my large loss, my "drooping" areas are Fat deposits.

Keep drinking your water and doing weight lifting.

Good Luck.
  • gordismami
    Options
    Thank you so much...yes not really the answer I want but I am appreciative. I wanted to see how many have and haven't. I will hate it if I do, but I will know what I am getting into lol I am happy to see everyone's progress on here as well. Thank you all for your tips...happy monday :)
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Someone please help me! I have been overweight my entire life. I hit my highest last year at 314 lbs. I am now eating healthier and going to the classes at my local gym 5 days a week. I have had 3 kids. I would like to know, if I am exercising good and eating good and lose weight at a healthy rate, how much extra skin will I end up having? I am so scared that it will be a large amount since I have been so heavy. Please someone help me with this. Even if it is not the answer I want, I would like to know. Thank you!

Its hard to tell, because genetics factors into it, but I had all of my weight in my belly. I have gnarly stretch marks from my love handles to belly button but no lose skin. Just work out, eat enough, and stay fully hydrated.