Lifting heavy for a beginner...

Options
Hi,

I've decided that lifting weights - in particular heavy ones - is exactly what my body needs...the question is, how do I get started?

Ideally I'd like to do 30 minutes a day, most days a week. But I need some sort of exercise plan to follow - does anyone know of any online?

Also, any general advice for a newbie to liftng heavy or awesome success stories would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go to a bookstore or Amazon and buy "Starting Strength". It gives you super detailed instructions on how to do the basic important lifts, and has a workout program to follow in order to build your strength level.

The "program" involves eating a lot more calories than I'm used to, so I'm not following it to the T, but I'm doing the lifting workouts and getting stronger, though probably not as fast as I would be if I was eating 4000 calories/day.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or 5X5Strong Lifts is a good starting point.
  • Lbriggs82
    Options
    Look up Stronglifts 5x5. I did it for a while and have just started it up again, it's brilliant for building strength and lifting heavy in a speedy but sensible way. :)
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, Satrting Strength, 5/3/1 would be a good starting point (google will take you to the right places!)

Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press, Pullup\Chins. BOR (Bent Over Row's), Dips.

Base your workout around those, and throw in some Iso (Isolation) moves at the end after a while - the Iso's shuold be one's that help the main above lifts.

Learn the Form, then learn the form, then learn the form (see where I'm going?). Get the form Nailed before you start going heavy. Take video's, get a PT to check your form.

You can go into more detail after that, but I'd nail the above for a few months at least first.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice everyone! I'll let you know how I get on! :happy: