Results from Chalene Extreme vs. New Rules for Women?

Options
I am debating between the two....

I want to start lifting heavy - Is Chalene Extreme a heavy lifting program? Will it get me similar results to the New Rules for Lifting for Women workouts?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Replies

• kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Im doing Chalean CE at the moment. At month two my range of weights used is 8-30 lbs. I like CE because its a structured program. All I have to do is press play and I get a great workout. I've had some pretty good gains as far as muscle definition goes and I'm much stronger now.

I've never done NRLW but from what I understand you kinda of have to make up your own program based off of the its guidelines. I'm also guessing its a program best done in a gym. You probably have more freedom to customize your program with NRLW, and gym access might allow for better results. I prefer CE because its quick and easy to press play and I don't need a gym membership.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've never done NRLW but from what I understand you kinda of have to make up your own program based off of the its guidelines. I'm also guessing its a program best done in a gym. You probably have more freedom to customize your program with NRLW, and gym access might allow for better results. I prefer CE because its quick and easy to press play and I don't need a gym membership.

You don't make up your own workouts, the book has them for you but unless you have a barbell and plates at home, you probably need the gym to make the most of it. There are db modifications but they're not great.

I did do it for a few months, nearly finished it before deciding I could make up a better routine on my own without bench presses! I hate bench presses. It's good for a beginner but I got tired of it once I knew what I was doing and researched my own routine.

You could try Starting Strength instead, my boyfriend started off with that one and he seemed to think it was a good program.
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    I LOVE CLX! Haven't done the other. I have however done my own lifting workouts at the gym and had good results but got stuck after a couple years. That's when I picked up CLX and oh boy.... did it work! It was great. It's still one of my top programs that I recommend.

GO HEAVY OR GO HOME... as Chalene Johnson says.

Another program to consider... BODY BEAST. It has lifting too. I haven't done it but I see many people who are, women too, and they seem to like it as well.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I want to start lifting heavy - Is Chalene Extreme a heavy lifting program? Will it get me similar results to the New Rules for Lifting for Women workouts?

Thanks!

ChaLEAN Extreme is not a heavy lifting program. It is a circuit training program. Heavy lifting programs cannot be conducted out of your home unless you have the resources to convert a whole room of your house/apartment into a gym as they require equipment such as a bench, squat rack or power rack, and barbells with very large amounts of weight.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have not done CE but every other Chalene workout! :) I do like her workouts, a lot! Not knowing how CE is different I can't imagine it being too similar to NROL4W as she is not a weight lifting gal as more as toning and endurance. I JUST started reading NROL4W and they have a very clear cut workout plan for listing and very clearly talk about ALL the differences between cardio, lifting and endurance training. Check it out for further deets but it might answer more questions for you.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Thanks!

ChaLEAN Extreme is not a heavy lifting program. It is a circuit training program. Heavy lifting programs cannot be conducted out of your home unless you have the resources to convert a whole room of your house/apartment into a gym as they require equipment such as a bench, squat rack or power rack, and barbells with very large amounts of weight.
    Very true....NROL4W does require a gym as you need an actual weight room! I just started reading the book and it made me decide I need a gym membership stat!