ouch

Options
so I joined MFP in January and have lost 19 lbs (yes, I'm bragging and I don't care haha) but I'm currently only walking as my work out - the problem is that I get horrible shin splints from walking!!! within 10 minutes of being on the treadmill, I have to get off and stretch before I can continue. It's really limited my walking endurance as I'm fine otherwise and not tired but just in so much pain in the legs. Any other people have this issue when "starting" and how can I help prevent it or at least make it better?

Replies

• nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may be wearing the wrong type of shoe.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If it is shin splints the only thing you can really do is rest and let them get better. I am running, and I had to start very, very slow because I have problems with my calf muscles (every one thought it was shin splints it wasn't). But yeah, rest...use something with less impact for a few weeks.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Its probably because you eat 1,200 calories or less...just kidding :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Stretching after every walk - full various 2 x 1 minute stretches for each leg muscle.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I switched from the treadmill to the elliptical and no more shin splints (and way easier on my knees). I can now run without pain (well, without shin pain!) on the treadmill. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Its probably because you eat 1,200 calories or less...just kidding :laugh:

No, it's probably because muscle weighs more than fat! :tongue:
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion that might, maybe, help, go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. One with a good reputation, ask around your local running community, to find where they shop, chances are, they have sales people that can look at how you walk, and look at how your current shoes are wearing, and might be able to come up with a better shoe, that might aggravate your shin splints less.

Of course, your mileage may vary!! :-)
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    so I joined MFP in January and have lost 19 lbs (yes, I'm bragging and I don't care haha) but I'm currently only walking as my work out - the problem is that I get horrible shin splints from walking!!! within 10 minutes of being on the treadmill, I have to get off and stretch before I can continue. It's really limited my walking endurance as I'm fine otherwise and not tired but just in so much pain in the legs. Any other people have this issue when "starting" and how can I help prevent it or at least make it better?

Go to an actual shoe store to be fitted for shoes. This happened to my husband. He had horrible shin splints. We went to a New Balance store. The guys there really knew what they were talking about. We found out that he doesn't have much of an arch too. They were able to direct us to a pair that helped with the arch problem, and then added some inserts that helped with the shin splints. It was pricey, but he can run now with no pain. The good thing is that if you find a good pair, you can get the model number and then look online to see if you can find them cheaper.

Good luck and great job so far!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow shin splint sufferer(?) and the only way to relieve the immediate pain is through rest, ice and stretching. While you are resting from walking try yoga or pilates or something with little to no impact on shin splints that will keep you active. I would look into getting some new shoes, and also make sure you take rest days in between walking and don't do too much too soon. Mine always are aggravated when the weather breaks because I get so excited to run outside that I overdo it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How much walking do you do? How much do you weigh?

Large quantities of walking by people who are overweight and untrained can lead to all kinds of problems, not the least of which is shin splints. As others have noted, properly fitting shoes is crucial.

Do something lower-impact, and also do strength training. You don't want to start getting in shape by constantly stressing your joints.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I get them too. Mostly when I walk with my husband at his pace (he's 14 inches taller than me). I've read a lot about it as a result of wanting to avoid the pain. Some things that I learned:

Make sure that your shoe does not have a sole that protrudes backward at the heal. Some shoes have a sole that is slighly longer than the foot part of the shoe itself. That makes you land wrong and brings the shin splints. Look for a shoe with a rounded heal base.

Also, check how you move your legs when you stride. Are you thrusting the lifted foot far forward to try to take a very long stride? Don't. It makes you slap your foot down too hard and that causes shin splints. Concentrate on the foot that is already on the ground, concentrate on pressing that foot behind you. That's where the focus needs to be.

Shorter steps will almost always be more gentle than long steps.

Start slowly and build up speed slowly. Each time. Even if you feel like you have the energy to go faster, don't. Start slowly to warm up the muscles.

When they hit, rest for several days. They aren't something that you can 'work through'. It just makes it worse. (I tried once. On vacation with my husband. I didn't want to ruin the vacation, so we just kept on doing our sightseeing tours and museum walks and walking through the city. I ended up in constant pain for almost 2 months. Don't do that.)
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can actually google through youtube and find out a lot about propper Running shoe fitting" or walking shoe whatever. In my opinion running shoes make the best walking shoes. I was at a Sketchers store last week and saw they came out with a new line of foot wear that strongly promotes Mid-sole support. (M- series) they feel a bit flat at the heel, and designed that way to discourage you from landing with most of your weight on the heel. This will allow for greater distances with less pain for some runners.

Weather you have an over pronated, underpronated, or neutral foot will say a lot about the way you step/run and if you're lucky than there will be someone in the shoe store of your choice who can explainvthis to you. Most of these places higher teens and have absolutely no idea and are to young to understand our older folk pains, LMAO.

I myself experiene shin splints after a few miles, whenbit hits hard I change up the way my foot strikes the ground by landing on a more mid to toe plain versus landing on my heel and rolling off. The mid range always allows greater speed, distance, and overall endurance.

Good luck!!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Go to a good shoe store and get them to fit you with shoes.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    stretch, stretch, STRETCH! I just started back running a few weeks ago....and i was dying! i had shin splits after 5min jogging and my calves were killin me. they felt like they were made of concrete! i finally started stretching and its gone away :)
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will look into getting new shoes for sure.

Current weight is 275 and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I started in January walking 30 minutes at 2.5 and each week would increase by .1 and only walk 3 days a week.

example:
    week 1 - 3 days at 2.5
    week 2 - 3 days at 2.6
    etc

I'm now at 3.1 this week and I can't go longer than 10 minutes without having to get off and stretch. Hopefully new shoes will help - and I'll add some other training as well.

You guys are the best! =)