Unrealistic weight loss goals

Options
I want to make a general comment. People, unrealistic goals aren't "super" or "great motivation." 50 pounds in 3 months - unless you're morbidly obese - doesn't make you a superhero. It makes you an idiot.

Setting unrealistic weight loss goals does no one any good. It sets you up for either abject failure, which is incredibly discouraging, or pyrrhic victory.

Set realistic goals for yourself. Set healthy goals for yourself. If you're overweight and want to get to a healthy weight, why on earth would you want to do so in an unhealthy or impossible way? Think about it: you're not overweight because you have a history of making good, healthy choices for your body. You're overweight because you don't make good, healthy choices. Starting your health journey by doing something stupid and unhealthy is wrong and counterproductive.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A little early in the morning to be double fisting it, eh Doug?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I work a global job - it's always after 5 for someone on my team...
  • mmoister79
    Options
    I totally agree! I set a weekly goal to lose 1.5 pounds. If I can meet or beat that, I feel awesome! So far I have been doing well and I am proud of myself. If I set a goal to lose 40 lbs in 3 months and failed, it would be hard to motivate myself to keep trying. Settiing weekly goals, at least for me, allows me to make little strides towards the bigger picture!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I work a global job - it's always after 5 for someone on my team...

:drinker:
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I hope to lose about 5 pounds a month. If that happens, great. If not, as long as I'm working hard, no big deal. I'm in this to get healthy and fit, the scale going down is just a wonderful side effect
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Yup. Not only setting personal goals but having unrealistic standards is a surefire way to feel like crap. As I've recently come to realize. :)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    One thread in particular is making me bite my tongue today