I hate setbacks :(

Options
Just last week I lost around 3 lbs .. I got down to 207. Then, over the weekend I got a little stupid and kept going over my calorie intake and wasnt exercising... really wasn't doing well on the water drinking either.. I quickly learned that I just CANNOT do that anymore if I want to get where Im trying to get. While Im back in the flow (if not doing better) I still feel angry with myself. Monday morning I weighed 210. Today I weigh 209.. Im glad Im losing it again.. but I can't help to beat myself up and keep saying "It COULD be 206 or less if I didn't skrew up...".. Just wanted to get this off of my chest. Thanks for reading.

-Nicole.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same this week. What I try to remind myself is, this isn't a change you can wake up and be perfect at sticking with everday from that point. It is a process of learning to change to a healthier lifestyle and it takes time, and there will be slips. We didn't get out of shape in a week, we certainly aren't going to get back in shape quickly either.

That said, I know I fluctuate anywhere from a pound to three pounds in a day, so all I focus on is that I am making better choices and continuing to exercise. I will look at the overall progress over a month's time and then start looking at what I like and where I need to improve.

Best of luck!
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Why, thank you. Your words helped a lot.
  • ballerinagrl2
    Options
    Was thinking your words could have been mine. I did the exact same thing-lost 3 pounds, slacked off over a weekend, gained back 2. What I took out of it was why I had felt the need to slack off in the first place. I was feeling deprived-like I hadn't had something special for a while. Now I know I need to learn to work on NOT equating food with a treat, but instead, perhaps an event. Instead of treating myself to a bag of M&M's, I'm going to treat myself to a downhill ski trip, or a visit to friends/family. I need to get out of thinking food is fun, and get into thinking life is fun, so that food doesn't become the center of my universe forever. It doesn't make me feel less stupid for having gained back the weight, but I do know I can't go back and do it over, I can only go forward, so I'm taking a lesson with me on the march. Have you thought at all about what was different about that weekend for you?
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Two steps forward and one step back will still get you there, just slower. When you slip up, and we all do, just do the next right thing and you are back on the path.
  • I think if you could take anything away from this it would be that we all have set backs! All of us, even those guys with pictures of their seemingly photoshopped abs... I wouldn't fret over two pounds, that two pounds could be anything! Sodium, water...etc... in my experience small gains like that usually dissapear quickly... the important part is that you always keep in the back of your mind that are going to get back on track... I've had set backs that have lasted as long as 23 years of my entire life, months, weekends, but recently I've realised that as long as I keep my goals in mind that I have nothing to worry about! Granted I've had to do a lot of soul searching, and finding out what really makes me tick, why I was over eating, and how to come up with better coping skills...but all of that is part of the Journey, set backs are a huge part of the journey, how else would we learn?

I'm sure you are doing just fine, and you will get back on track as soon as you find some peace and stability :)
  • Velv3tkisses
    Options
    It's okay! Try not to weigh yourself everyday, it makes you feel worse. It's normal to have the little ups & downs...don't let it get to you.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've started doing 1 great meal a week with no qualms about calories. I do try to make smart choices though...like last night, I really wanted Thai food and went and ate Green Curry with veggies and a side of brown rice. It did help that I started the meal with a large bowl of soup. I am super satisfied but am not guilty of shoving down a whole pizza.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I know that feel. I've been very "two steps forward, one step back" lately. My weigh ins over the last couple months have looked like this: -2, 0, -2.5, +.7, -1.8, +.4, -3, 0... and so on. I'm trending down, and at an average of 1-1.5 pounds a week, so I don't sweat it too much, now that I've noticed the pattern anyway.

The jump in your weight *might* be a gain from food, but it might also be water weight from more sodium and less water over the weekend. Drink a lot of water, give it a few days and see where you are at. It's a marathon, not a sprint and sometimes you are ahead, but sometimes not. Don't let it get you down and just keep at it, you'll get there!
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    You aren't going to be perfect all the time. No one is. You have to let that go. Besides, do you think that you will be able to maintain your weight loss if you never eat out, never go over your calories and work out every day? I know I can't because I have been there, done that. I can do it for so long, but then I break, binge, and give up.

Think 80/20. Do great 80% of the time and you will get to your end result even if you slack the other 20%.