Chalene Extreme vs P90X

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Neither of those is really very good at anything in particular. They're solid cardio, but they mix pretty poor strength training in and cram it all together in ridiculous high-intensity workouts that are designed to just make you feel super exhausted.

Strength training and cardio have different goals and don't belong in the same workout - you compromise the effectiveness of both.

They're also not sustainable. They're "quick fixes" that don't fix anything.

The better thing to do is moderate cardio 2-3 times a week and, strength train on 2-3 different days, and have 1-2 rest days.

You might want to tell that to the millions of people who have gotten fit with these programs. Both CLX and P90X do exactly what they are designed to do... maintain lean body mass through weight training and HIIT as well as increase flexibility and endurance through yoga. They aren't quick fixes, you get stronger and can maintain healthy lifestyles. Not everyone likes to be a gym rat. And if you want to bulk, you can also to Body Beast.

Both are these programs are great. CLX is just shorter. I like both and have great success with both.
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing a lot of people hate on beachbody because of its MLM. Or, they just don't have the guts to do it and stay consistent with it. I personally love it. But like anything else. If you want to maintain, then your diet and exercise needs to be a lifestyle change. It is not a quick fix. But, the results speak for themselves. P90X...BRING IT!
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Neither of those is really very good at anything in particular. They're solid cardio, but they mix pretty poor strength training in and cram it all together in ridiculous high-intensity workouts that are designed to just make you feel super exhausted.
    ^^^this not accurate ChaLEAN is NOT solid cardio...its a great program geared toward Women (IMO). I'm currently doing it and on the 2nd phase -- I feel like Superwoman!!!!! P90X I would not recommend...just my opinion.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ^^^this not accurate ChaLEAN is NOT solid cardio...its a great program geared toward Women (IMO). I'm currently doing it and on the 2nd phase -- I feel like Superwoman!!!!! P90X I would not recommend...just my opinion.

Just curious why you wouldn't recommend P90X? It's almost 100% exactly like CLX.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Just curious why you wouldn't recommend P90X? It's almost 100% exactly like CLX.

I'd like to know this as well.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Strength training and cardio have different goals and don't belong in the same workout - you compromise the effectiveness of both.

They're also not sustainable. They're "quick fixes" that don't fix anything.

The better thing to do is moderate cardio 2-3 times a week and, strength train on 2-3 different days, and have 1-2 rest days.

this post is truely worthless

what do you know, he's a local, lucky me
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I'm guessing a lot of people hate on beachbody because of its MLM. Or, they just don't have the guts to do it and stay consistent with it. I personally love it. But like anything else. If you want to maintain, then your diet and exercise needs to be a lifestyle change. It is not a quick fix. But, the results speak for themselves. P90X...BRING IT!

whats mlm?
  • psuLemon
    Options

whats mlm?

multi level marketing.. Essentially, people sign up to be a "fitness coach" and then they sell the products to their friends, family and others to make money and in turn BB makes a lot more money. Almost like a pyramid scheme.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    How much space do I need to do the Chalean?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    multi level marketing.. Essentially, people sign up to be a "fitness coach" and then they sell the products to their friends, family and others to make money and in turn BB makes a lot more money. Almost like a pyramid scheme.
    Not a pyramid scheme because you aren't moving money through the pyramid. It is essentially the same approach to money making and marketing as AmWay (remember those guys from back in the day?) or any of the at home sales stuff for jewelry, candles, etc. It's not a bad way for folks to make some money from their passion and it works fine for BeachBody, of course.

Personally, the MLM stuff isn't for me, so I don't register on Team BeachBody and all that. I use MFP for my coaching and support network, which works great and avoids the BeachBody marketing stuff that I'm not interested in.

Also, the other poster talking about CLX and P90X being a mix of cardio/strength on the same day, being "quick fixes" and being ineffective pretty clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm currently doing Power 90, will be moving from there to P90X. Both P90 and P90X are broken in to strength and cardio days, as any good workout routine should be. Both (and CLX, too) are intended to embed habits and routines for life, including fitness regimens and nutrition. And, if you commit and follow the program, they work.

I'd guess the P90X workouts are going to be too long for the OP. CLX is 35-40 min long, from what I know. I am thinking that CLX, like P90, P90X, etc. requires somewhere between 6'x6' and 10x10'.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    lol yea, the most annoying thing was being asked over and over if i wanted to be a coach, but that mainly only happens when you hang out on teambeachbody.

Other then that they are a kick *kitten* company IMO
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Also, the other poster talking about CLX and P90X being a mix of cardio/strength on the same day, being "quick fixes" and being ineffective pretty clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm currently doing Power 90, will be moving from there to P90X. Both P90 and P90X are broken in to strength and cardio days, as any good workout routine should be. Both (and CLX, too) are intended to embed habits and routines for life, including fitness regimens and nutrition. And, if you commit and follow the program, they work.
    yeah that post was pretty silly.

not sure why doing cardio and strength on the same day would be a bad thing anyway. a lot of people do that quite often at the gym with good results. hell insanity does it basically at the same time and you certainly get results from that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    lol yea, the most annoying thing was being asked over and over if i wanted to be a coach, but that mainly only happens when you hang out on teambeachbody.

100% agree. I love all their workout programs... but I think their supplements are over priced and not worth it. But for people who like working out at home, there is a program for everything.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

100% agree. I love all their workout programs... but I think their supplements are over priced and not worth it. But for people who like working out at home, there is a program for everything.

Nice to know! Thanks!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I'd say the gear is over priced too. Get on Amazon and find decent resistance bands for half the price of Tony's, for example. That said, BeachBody is an awesome company. Tony Horton and his team make fantastic workout videos and nutrition programs that really work. They aren't annoying bullies like Jillian Michaels, either. I love working out with Tony leading me through it. He is matter of fact, shows you how to do what you need to do, and actually find him still motivating me after watching his videos every day for weeks on end. I still laugh at his corny jokes, too.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

i never tried any other thier stuff but the heavy emphasis on the the results and recovery drink made me do some research.

It seemed incredibly counter intuiative to think that 40 grams of pure sugar was a good thing, but i managed to blindly believe in the research artilces i read lol.

I ended up copying the ingredients of the R&R drink and buying them seperately. for the cost of two tubs of R&R drink i got two 50 lbs bags of dextrose and maltodextrin. I dump those into my whey (in the propper proportions). its much cheaper but a pain in the *kitten*, at least in the begining because you'll need a scale.

to me its worth it though and i do think the 4:1 high GI carb to protein ratio does provide a benefit post exercise. if nothing else i think it does help you recover faster, so its apply named at least lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I'd say the gear is over priced too. Get on Amazon and find decent resistance bands for half the price of Tony's, for example. That said, BeachBody is an awesome company. Tony Horton and his team make fantastic workout videos and nutrition programs that really work. They aren't annoying bullies like Jillian Michaels, either. I love working out with Tony leading me through it. He is matter of fact, shows you how to do what you need to do, and actually find him still motivating me after watching his videos every day for weeks on end. I still laugh at his corny jokes, too.

thats a good point. In fact, i forgot to say that they must use the absolute cheapest crap dvds possible, recommend backing up any dvds you get from them immediately

i've only gotten a jump rope and agility ladder with asylum. they didn't seem to bad but its hard to f that up lol.

i've heard there bands break easy, but so have the ones that i've used.

i searched high and low for a cheaper version of the p90x bar that was exactly like it (with all the different grip options). couldn't find one so i just went with the basic one. wish i just watched the video first because they only use the straight bar lol, would have saved me time.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Beachbody DVDs do suck! My P90X discs vibrate horribly in my player. Absolutely no other DVD has ever been a problem, so I am confident that the balance issue is being caused by the discs and not the machine. I have to tip the player on it's end to make the chattering stop.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Beachbody DVDs do suck! My P90X discs vibrate horribly in my player. Absolutely no other DVD has ever been a problem, so I am confident that the balance issue is being caused by the discs and not the machine. I have to tip the player on it's end to make the chattering stop.
    I haven't had that problem at all ... I wonder if you just got a bad set?
  • psuLemon
    Options

thats a good point. In fact, i forgot to say that they must use the absolute cheapest crap dvds possible, recommend backing up any dvds you get from them immediately

i've only gotten a jump rope and agility ladder with asylum. they didn't seem to bad but its hard to f that up lol.

i've heard there bands break easy, but so have the ones that i've used.

i searched high and low for a cheaper version of the p90x bar that was exactly like it (with all the different grip options). couldn't find one so i just went with the basic one. wish i just watched the video first because they only use the straight bar lol, would have saved me time.

The iron gym just came out with a pull up bar similar to BB. The first one was ok but their grips were really chip. I have the pushup bars from Tony Horton and I have to say, i have tried a bunch of others and none provide the stability that TH's. Their bands do snap easy (already broke one that came with CLX) and their med balls have soft spots. Also, their reinforced med ball is very impressive but I haven't found another company that would compete. So I would say, some of BB products are worth it but many can be substituted easily.

skylark, I have CLX, P90X, P90X2, Body Beast, Hip Hop Abs (the wifes, lol), and Les Mills Combat and none of my DVD's do that. Maybe you should call BB to see if they can replace your set. It could have been a bad batch.