alternative to Nutella? need spreading recs

Options
I've cleaned up most of my diet. My only downfall is spreading a thin layer of Nutella on whole grain bread everyday for a snack. I know it's not nutritious and full of sugar so I want to cut it out.

Anybody have any healthy recs for spreading?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Peanut or almond butter. Look for the kind with just peanuts/almonds in the ingredients (though I prefer mine salted). Calorie-dense but without the sugar and palm oils in nutella.
  • jam080866
    jam080866 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just tried PB2 with chocolate this morning. Very tasty only 45 calories with 1gram of fat and 4grams of protein.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This lady says how to make your own and that way you can control what goes into your nutella:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/09/how-to-make-your-own-homemade-gluten-free-nutella.html

With that being said everything is ok in moderation :drinker:
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Try Chocolate PB2. You can get it on Amazon. It's delicsious and satisfies cravings.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for sunflower butter or homemade pumpkin butter. Both are delicious.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This lady says how to make your own and that way you can control what goes into your nutella:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/09/how-to-make-your-own-homemade-gluten-free-nutella.html

With that being said everything is ok in moderation :drinker:

Awesome site, thanks!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    PB2 with CHOCOLATE!!! Or Justins Almond Butter with Chocolate.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Peanut or almond butter. Look for the kind with just peanuts/almonds in the ingredients (though I prefer mine salted). Calorie-dense but without the sugar and palm oils in nutella.

Peanut butter or almond butter won't quell a craving for Nutella. It's not even close to the same thing.

OP: Justin's chocolate hazelnut or almond butter is really good, and slightly healthier than Nutella. Really though, a thin layer (probably a tablespoon) of Nutella every day is fine. If you want to reduce it, have it a few times a week. If it fits into your calories, then enjoy it. Cutting out things that you love will only frustrate you and make you feel like you're restricting. Nutella easily fits into my calories and it's something I grew up with, so I enjoy it a few times a week for breakfast.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't get chocolate PB2 and expect it to be an awesome replacement. I know people here wax poetic about it, but really, it blows. It's okay in smoothies/protein shakes because it's a powder and tastes mildly peanutty, but it won't make you feel like you're eating the real thing. Anyone who says that is trying to convince themselves so that they won't eat the real thing. It tastes like a weird, slightly watery, vaguely peanut butter-esque paste.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you love Nutella, you might like Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter. I think it's pretty good (and the ingredient list is shorter/more natural)
    Peanut Butter & Co's stuff holds a special place in my home as well :)
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've made "homemade nuttella" before and it was pretty gross. I typically LOVE all of the home made versions of bad food, ha. I bake and cook all of the time. But this was an exception. I'd try the peanut butter, or almond butter, or PB2 like others are suggesting. Even though peanut butter and almond butter have the same cals as Nutella, it is much better for you. Or if you need something sweet, try greek yogurt with cocoa and stevia mixed in, turn that into a spread. Or what I love is greek yogurt and PB2, that is AMAZING, I eat it like yogurt, or as a fruit dip, putting it on bread would be good too. Or maybe a fat free cream cheese, flavored how you like it. Good luck!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm just surprised no one made a joke about needing " spreading recs".

Sorry I hadda!

I use " Go Nuts" nut butters. it's all natural, made with whey!! Super yummy!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chocolate PB2. It's not Nutella by a country mile, but it is tasty, and relatively low calorie. 45 Cals in two TBSP. Three servings of this and a serving of whole grain crackers has become one of my 'go to' snacks.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just tried this for the first time this morning too! On a whole wheat waffle...not quite as good as Nutella, but for 45 calories, it makes up for it!!!

EDIT: Wow, I'm having issues today, meant to copy the person's quote above about using the Chocolate version of PB2...
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Avocado. It's way healthy and tastes awesome when spread on toast and topped with a liberal grind of pepper, and a dash of salt. Mmm...
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    thanks everyone, great suggestions! I feel bad eating Nutella every single day although it does fit into my daily calorie allowance. I'm trying to get ripped and I'm afraid all that sugar will hinder my progress.. but if I could still eat it and gain nice muscles I'd love that!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder
    Peanut or almond butter
    A little bit of water or milk

Mix together to form a goo/spread

Serve on whatever you like or eat as it is, just like Nutella.

Enjoy!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I just tried PB2 with chocolate this morning. Very tasty only 45 calories with 1gram of fat and 4grams of protein.

what i was gonna say :D
    however not too sure how it would be spread. i like to add it to smoothies and oatmeal
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, great suggestions! I feel bad eating Nutella every single day although it does fit into my daily calorie allowance. I'm trying to get ripped and I'm afraid all that sugar will hinder my progress.. but if I could still eat it and gain nice muscles I'd love that!

I say enjoy it. :) As long as the rest of your day includes enough protein and fresh produce to fuel your body, then a piece of Nutella toast won't do anything. I PROMISE you'll be happier with that than any of these suggestions.
  • Rhinoyoda
    Options
    What about hummus? You can even make it yourself.