Best Running Shoes???

Options
I have owned Nikes and New Balance my whole life. I like both, BUT depends on the style. I have Horrible ankles and I was told to go with the New Balances. Well Lets be honest, Nikes are SO much cuter. I have fallen in love with the Nike Dual Fusion, but they are pricey. What are some of your guys favorite running shoes? And what are some that you WOULD NOT own ever again?

Im going to be going this weekend to purchase some new ones and Im looking for some advice on which ones to test out!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes are the ones that fit you and your activity level. Honestly, when I pick out running shoes, how they look is my last concern.

Now, for cross-training I get what I like. But all I care about with running is: does it match my pronation? is the toe box sufficiently wide for my splay? Does it feel comfortable right out of the box?

If the answer to those three questions is "yes" I buy the shoe ;)

I learned this the hard way. Spending $120 on shoes I cannot run in comfortably but like how they look is a baaaaad plan.

If you're a runner, I really suggest you go to a running store and work with the staff there to find the right shoe for your foot. Once you've found a few pairs that fit the bill, go with what's most comfortable. If you have more than one that suit you, THEN choose based on looks. Your knees and ankles will thank you.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Hi,

Well it depends on your body/foot configuration I'd say. I've used nike for years and I like them but I started using Asic probably for the last five years and they are the best by far, in my case of course. Try Asic to see if they work for you.

Cheers
    wink:
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am glad Nike is so much cuter, but which ones would be more functional? I prefer Asics, they provide excellent support, which I need, as I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. Remember to go with what FEELS good, not what looks good. If you have horrible ankles like you say, then a cute looking shoe isn't going to help you on those long pounding runs. Good luck to you.

Though I would be lying if style/color doesn't play a part, it's just not my main focus
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well Yeah I understand it depends on the person. I just would hate to shell out money and hear that something is cheap and falls apart. Was hoping to hear some info on brands like that. I never know what to look for in a running shoe.

to cwick56 I have bought the most hidious shoe and was suppose to be good. The felt great and then they fell apart on me. Thats what im trying to say. My nikes fusions felt great just need a new pair but dont wanna shell out that much. The style and stuff isnt my main focus at all. I Have horrible ankles thats what im worried about the most. I just want something that isnt hidious because there are so many options out there that I should have to get something that I think is ugly. Thats all Im saying.
  • thelton01
    Options
    I love my reebox realflex shoes. they breathe when I run so my feet don't sweat and they are so flexible and have lots of cushion. i suffer from knee, ankle, hip and back pain. since i started doing more core training and strength training and cardio with jillian michaels, i can now run again and these shoes are wonderful!!! i have 0 pain after my runs.
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    I prefer Asics, they provide excellent support, which I need, as I am 6'4" and 240 lbs.
    Thats the kinda stuff im looking to hear.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Brooks Running Shoes!!! I have only had them a week but they are by far the best I have ever had.
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    I love my reebox realflex shoes. they breathe when I run so my feet don't sweat and they are so flexible and have lots of cushion. i suffer from knee, ankle, hip and back pain. since i started doing more core training and strength training and cardio with jillian michaels, i can now run again and these shoes are wonderful!!! i have 0 pain after my runs.
    Thank you! This is the kinda info I was looking to hear, Not to get judged by people. I just want other peoples opinion on their favorite or not so favorite.
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You've been given the ABSOLUTE BEST ADVICE!

Go to a shoe store and have the staff to FIT you with what works best with your feet and pronation!

LOOKS IS THE LAST THING YOU WANT & A GOOD RUNNING SHOE IS WORTH THE COST!

REMEMBER....cheap is weak!!

BTW............I LOVE THE NIKE DUAL FUSION
    FELT LIKE I COULD JUST RUN and RUN and RUN!
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    I plan on going and trying a ton on.I was just posting this to hear everyones thoughts on THEIR favorites or not so favorite.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with Asics and Mizunos in the past, Adidas makes a comfy ride, but the midsole breaks down quicker, and I've had problems with New Balance soles popping off the mid (something about the way I run). But as somebody else already said, go to a proper running store (not a general athletics store) and get fitted there. I live in Canada, and swear by the Running Room. They will let you try the shoe out running around the block, and if there are any problems that are not the result of normal wear and tear (like the sole popping off!), they'll take them back. Some of the larger big box stores sell "reject" versions of the exact same shoes for cheaper that are fine for walking around in and for general exercise, but have something weird going on that means they didn't pass the rigorous testing for a proper long-distance shoe. What's more, they usually won't accept returns on shoes that have been worn.
  • I don't know if you have a store like this in your area, but my husband went to a store called the Runner Store and they measure your feet and listen to your needs and fit you in a shoe just for you.
    http://www.therunnershop.com/index.php
    He initially bought a pair of Brooks and wore them for a week, but they didn't work, so he went back after trying them for a week, and they gave him a full refund and he switched to a pair of Asics.
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    I have the Asic Gel Blur 33 and they changed my runs completely. I used to run in Nike and got shin splints every time, but from the moment I slipped on the Asics, they completely disappeared. I wear them everywhere. It's like running on a sponge, and so so shock absorbent.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The running store hooked me up with a pair of Saucony Omni11. Very lightweight and comfy, good arch support. Holding up well.
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I won a pair of Brooks shoes so have the RAVENA 3. Then I bought another pair the same because I love them. I think I will look at Brooks for my next pair too. Fit my foot...NIKE is too narrow for me. Fit my pronation and light weight.
    I do 25-35 miles per week.
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

to cwick56 I have bought the most hidious shoe and was suppose to be good. The felt great and then they fell apart on me. Thats what im trying to say. My nikes fusions felt great just need a new pair but dont wanna shell out that much. The style and stuff isnt my main focus at all. I Have horrible ankles thats what im worried about the most. I just want something that isnt hidious because there are so many options out there that I should have to get something that I think is ugly. Thats all Im saying.

I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences. I have broken both my ankles twice, and like I said, prefer asics. They can be found relatively cheap as well. Just have to shop :) Sorry for the misunderstanding
  • Kttyler87
    Options

I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences. I have broken both my ankles twice, and like I said, prefer asics. They can be found relatively cheap as well. Just have to shop :) Sorry for the misunderstanding

Haha No problem, Yes my right ankle is VERY bad been putting off surgery for years. Im trying to strenghten it myself so I can avoid that all together!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Both the New Balance and Asics I have are quality shoes. They are holding up. I prefer my New Balance (how they feel when I run), but I'll admit the Asics are prettier.

Either way - I chose my shoes based solely (ha) on how they feel, and if they are appropriate for my gait. I spent a lot of time at the running store with a knowledgeable salesperson, and tried on a ton of shoes to find the right ones - it was worth the time.

A good pair of running shoes usually isn't cheap - so it's worth spending the TIME to get the right pair. And if they are cute, well - bonus.

I save my 'cute' for kicking around town. The running shoes are on my feet for less than an hour at a time.
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    I have the Asic Gel Blur 33 and they changed my runs completely. I used to run in Nike and got shin splints every time, but from the moment I slipped on the Asics, they completely disappeared. I wear them everywhere. It's like running on a sponge, and so so shock absorbent.

omg, I have Never thought about the NIKES with Shin Splints....I used to get them alot with my NIKES. Thats the kinda thing I was hoping to hear.

And to everyone else with the Soles breaking on you ect, Thats what the forum was meant to be. Stuff like that I just wanted experience with shoes so I just have an Idea about quality ect.

Thanks!
  • chalcraft
    Options
    I have always found Asics to be very comfortable. They have a superb website which will guide yoiu through your needs and then offers you a selection. Once you have decided on a pair then do shop around.