Almond Milk...

2»

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    I've switched to almond milk just because I like it better - the less cals is just a bonus. We've not switched the kids to it as they are still little & benefit from the extra cals & fats (my kids are tiny, very tall & skinny)
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    I just bought almond milk for the first time this week and I really like it! The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have much protein content like regular milk.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Here's a link to making your own Almond milk http://www.noveleats.com/drinks/raw-homemade-almond-milk/ I'll admit I've not tried it yet, but I'm planning to.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    I like the fact that the unsweetend almond milk is very low in sugars. Much lower than regular milk or soy. Plus I can't stand the taste of Soy.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    have to try!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    K I just put some in my tea and it didn't curdle and I liked the taste!

~Leash :heart:
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    We eliminated lactose based milk from our diet and noticed an increase in our digestion. We as humans aren't really meant to drink cow's milk. Think about it: would you feed human milk to your dog or cat? Probably not. Why should we drink other animal's milk? Same idea. Our bodies aren't really meant to digest animal milk.

I've tried soy, rice, and almond milk, and very much prefer the taste and texture of almond over the others.

That's why I gave up cow's milk over a year ago. I learned about how bad it is for humans & just because it has a lot of calcium, that doesn't mean it's healthy. Plus, animal protein is different than plant protein. Plant protein is healthier & easier for our bodies to digest. At least that's what I've read in nutrition books.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 646 Member
    I put my son on rice milk because he was having earaches and it was recommended it saved him from having to get ear tubes I wish I could tell everybody!!! I do not like rice milk I think it's way too sweet but my baby boy loves it! I recently bought some almond milk for me and it sat in the fridge for days because I was afraid. Finally tried it in some shredded wheat and it was awesome! I still like regular milk better straight almond milk is a little too sweet in my opinion to drink alone.
  • I use it in my smoothies for breakfast....1/2 cup with some nonfat plain yogurt, a banana, some blueberries, and some whey protein powder. Yum!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Milk-an-Almond-fresh-homemade-almond-milk/

That's a great sight on How to make Almond Milk. The only thing I've heard you can't use Almond milk for is instant pudding. I was using vanilla soy milk but I really like the flavor of the original Almond milk better.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Well, I tried the Almond Milk for the first time last night, got my hubby to taste it as well. His response was "nut juice" LOL. He thought it tasted like paste water. I wasn't feeling particularly well last night, so I don;t think I gave it a fair try. I had a couple of sips of it. I was kinda indifferent to it. I'll try it again today, as my tummy is happier today.

:drinker:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I don't drink the almond milk. I just put it on my cereal and cook with it. That's all you really need regular milk for, same for almond milk.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I put my son on rice milk because he was having earaches and it was recommended it saved him from having to get ear tubes I wish I could tell everybody!!! I do not like rice milk I think it's way too sweet but my baby boy loves it! I recently bought some almond milk for me and it sat in the fridge for days because I was afraid. Finally tried it in some shredded wheat and it was awesome! I still like regular milk better straight almond milk is a little too sweet in my opinion to drink alone.

We have our daughter drinking rice milk too for ear infections. I don't care for it at all, but I've tried to get her to drink almond milk and she doesn't like it as much. Ha!
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    We use it in baking and things like pancakes. My son is allergic to soy and dairy. It gives a little more complexity than the rice milk. We don't drink the almond milk plain. My son also drinks chocolate hemp milk -- which is way more nutritious, but without the chocolate doesn't taste good at all.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    The only one that is not 100 % loving this is my good ole farm boy husband...i.e. "milk should come from cows not nuts"

Wonder how they milk nuts...

I've actually had almond milk. It's pretty good but I don't think I could get my fam onboard with it.

I come to MFP to pick up chicks - look at you!! :wink:

Maybe you could present it as an additional beverage instead of replacing milk with it. You never know just what will happen! :drinker:
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    I love almond milk - i have found the vanilla flavor is way too sweet for me. I don't use sweetners or sugar, so it was a little intense for my taste buds. I do love the original flavor though!

I am lactose intolerant and used to drink soy milk. However, now I try to stay away from soy products (I have crazy hormone imbalances) as much as I can - i looove it!!!!
This discussion has been closed.