Insanity/Weight Loss Help

Options
A friend asked me to do the Insanity program with her. We are currently in week three and I already feel so much healthier!
I know the program is more about building muscle and losing inches as opposed to pounds but I was wondering what suggestions everyone had on how to knock out both.

I am 23 years old, 5' 3" and currently weigh 203 (I started off Insanity at 207). I want to go down to a healthy size for my age and height. Weighing as much as I do worries me as it impacts my health. I understand it is a process and will take time, I just want to know how I can best go about it.

What should my food/caloric intake be a day? I have a very strict budget in this season of life too which makes it complicated on what I can eat.

Is it okay to do extra workouts or weight training on the lighter Insanity workout days? Also my friend mentioned possibly repeating the program right after we complete it, any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Ashley

Replies

• Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Make sure to measure!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi there -
    Don't focus on the scale, the weight will come off. I have heard that the most noticeable changes occur in month 2. I'm starting the first week of March! I think if you feel UP to doing more and it's not too much for your body to handle, then go for it. But I have a feeling if you have extra energy to burn, you're not pushing hard enough during the workouts!

It's absolutely fine to do multiple rounds... I think most people who do the program complete more than 1 round. I know I plan on doing it at least twice, and then doing Asylum and Asylum 2.

As far as caloric intake, I'd go with the program guide. I believe it asks you to do carbs/protein/fats at 40/40/20, so I'd focus on that. If you have any questions, feel free to add me, just made sure to have a message in the request.

Good luck and stick with it. losing 4 pounds is something to be proud of... don't discount that! Month 1 gets your prepped for month 2!
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    def follow Shaun T instructions and caloric guide. i complete p90, p90x, insanity and now doing les milles combat.
    you will loose the weight and tone up
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    More working out won't help you if you're not on track with your eating. If I were your size (although many won't agree), I'd eat 1200-1500 calories a day with no cheat days until you're done. At least 100g of protein.
  • smsdmd
    smsdmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 1 of Insanity. I'm 5'2" and 160. Im following the booklet that came with the DVDs. When I track it on MFP it winds up being around 1200 calories a day and over 100g or protein. It'll be a few weeks until I know how that's working!
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    SMS you should be good to see some great results
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I lost 24lbs with Insanity, but it was almost ALL in month 2 and after! I started losing 2-3 lbs/week. I'm repeating Insanity over again (after a 2 week break). Eating healthy DOES not have to mean expensive. I eat chicken wraps, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, veggies, fruits, whole wheat pasta and an obnoxious amt of hershey kisses.
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also think the eating is a trial & error. I eat between 1300-1500/day, over if the workout day is a high burner. Also, I measure myself & measure my foods. Not to be misleading, but my 24lbs was pregnancy weight, but I lost it in 4months total as opposed to 9months like with my first. Now at the restart of Insanity I'm at my prepregnancy weight...hoping to lose 15-20 more.
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you all so much! We start month two next week. I am looking forward to it.

I don't have the guide that comes with it, but you've been helpful. I am going home for spring break and asked my mom to help me plan out my meals for the month so I can put everyone's advice to use and other information I've learned from research.

Thanks for the encouragement too! I push myself as much as I can during the workouts. There are a few exercises I will get frustrated on because I can't do them well yet but then I remind myself how much weight I carry and to be patient in the process. I can do so much more than I could when I first started and will be able to accomplish more when I've finished. While I'm anxious to reach my goal weight I know more than anything I feel so much healthier and that's what is more important right now.