Coutnin' calories for the rest of your life?

Replies

• tif83
    tif83 Posts: 85 Member
    This sounds a bit all-or-nothing in approach, like either you "are" or you're "not" counting calories, and then having to beat yourself up when you take a day off when you currently "are" counting. Why not enjoy your cheat day with your friend and just move on. I take weekends off every few weeks. Honestly, I probably go over by very little but it's the mental break that I need. I also don't worry about it on holidays and birthdays. If you truly pay attention the other, what? 345 days a year? You will be fine. That is unless you go on 10,000 calorie binges but then I think the mental breaks help prevent that sort of thing.

^exactly what he said. well put.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Why not?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    This sounds a bit all-or-nothing in approach, like either you "are" or you're "not" counting calories, and then having to beat yourself up when you take a day off when you currently "are" counting. Why not enjoy your cheat day with your friend and just move on. I take weekends off every few weeks. Honestly, I probably go over by very little but it's the mental break that I need. I also don't worry about it on holidays and birthdays. If you truly pay attention the other, what? 345 days a year? You will be fine. That is unless you go on 10,000 calorie binges but then I think the mental breaks help prevent that sort of thing.

I completely agree with this.

I enjoy counting calories most of the time, but sometimes I simply take a break for a day or two. I still measure absolutely everything because that allows me to at least rough estimate everything in my mind. I've been counting calories for 3 years now.
  • Santerre1984
    Santerre1984 Posts: 60 Member
    If it counting calories is what it takes to lower and maintain my weight. Then I def will count calories for the rest of my life.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    I don't get this.

Is counting calories REALLY that difficult for you? Is it SO hard, SO much of a terrible inconvenience in your busy, busy life that you are that put off by taking THREE MINUTES (tops) a meal to log what you ate? I would like to know what you do for a living that makes your time THAT valuable. MFP makes it so easy and simple, why would you even waste time thinking about not doing it anymore? Is it worth slipping into your old habits without being held accountable (almost everyone does) and getting fat again? If it is, then give up. As for me, I choose to take a short moment a few times a day to log, in order to guarantee that I I stay fit and trim, for the rest of my life.

I didn't get that vibe from OP. I don't think she said she didn't have time to do it, either. It was more of a "will I have to be this worried about counting calories" type of thing. She then even goes on to say that if she learns portion control in this journey, she won't really need it anyway.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    For me, im hoping that i learn about portions and can stay on track without having to count calories. I've been counting calories so long, that i think i could guesstimate through out the day and maintain. This is what i am going to try when i reach my goal weight. I dont think someone should have to do this forever. Good luck!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Yeah, pretty much, if I want to keep the weight off, I will be logging. It's what has worked for me my entire life - way before there were these nifty internet sites… way before there was an internet! :happy: I started with a calorie book and a steno pad, then progressed to an Excel spreadsheet, then the wonder of the smartphone and these apps! When I didn't log, that's when the weight came back. It's just my 'in your face' approach to maintenance.

My caveat is that I will not forever log EVERY day. Right now, I don't log weekends, and it's not because I think weekends are free-for-alls, but they are just busy. Yes, I let myself have things I don't during the week (booze, hot wings :), but I still watch portions and my overall consumption. This is my life-balance plan.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

This seems like a healthy approach. I'm afraid I would gradually slip into less days logged as I went along though. Kinda like flossing-- right after I go to the dentist I do really well with it for a few weeks. Then I skip a day, then another day, and before I know it, no more flossing. (erm, I mean I totally floss every day. Sometimes twice a day. I swear.)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I don't get this.

Is counting calories REALLY that difficult for you? Is it SO hard, SO much of a terrible inconvenience in your busy, busy life that you are that put off by taking THREE MINUTES (tops) a meal to log what you ate? I would like to know what you do for a living that makes your time THAT valuable. MFP makes it so easy and simple, why would you even waste time thinking about not doing it anymore? Is it worth slipping into your old habits without being held accountable (almost everyone does) and getting fat again? If it is, then give up. As for me, I choose to take a short moment a few times a day to log, in order to guarantee that I I stay fit and trim, for the rest of my life.

I didn't get that vibe from OP. I don't think she said she didn't have time to do it, either. It was more of a "will I have to be this worried about counting calories" type of thing. She then even goes on to say that if she learns portion control in this journey, she won't really need it anyway.

To be honest, I didn't get that vibe either. I was putting things into perspective, saying to OP that even if she did have to count calories for the rest of her life, so what? So you stay fit and healthy forever. Oh, the calamity. :wink:
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    I used to think the same way you did, which is why I quit using Weight Watchers. I didn't want to spend the rest of my counting points. (I never could get the hang of their conversion system.) Since I started using MFP I've been paying close attention to how many calories are in the foods that I like to eat, and I'm adjusting my portions so that I can still eat what I want but stay within my calorie goals.

I'm trying hard to learn and remember what foods work and what foods don't. I believe that I'm going to have to pay close attention to nutritional information for the rest of my life. I don't always like that thought, but to me its a small price to pay to insure that I don't balloon back up to my heaviest weight. I'm down 20 pounds total and that feels so good. I know the minute I quit counting, I'll stop caring and start gaining.

I will say this, I do have cheat days once a week. For example, I'm getting together with my friends tomorrow and I know there will not be healthy food options there. I'll pick from the lesser of the evils and enjoy it for the night. Then I'll be back on the band wagon on Sunday. I think its important to allow yourself to indulge from time to time because I have found that total deprivation does not work at all.

Long story short: Calorie counting teaches more than just counting calories - its portion control and teaches you just what you can eat and what you shouldn't. If you feel you don't need to count calories to maintain your weight loss, then good for you. Just be careful not to stop counting and then start gaining.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Once you are done losing weight, you will have more calories. If you keep exercising a few days a week, keep eating clean (for the most part), keep an eye on how much you eat, you should be fine. Keep track of your weight and measurements, say once a month... if you see a serious gain, track again and see what you are doing wrong... otherwise, enjoy your life!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    It's going to by reality until I die just because I have a food addiction and going back up to 365lb would probably be very easy
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Personally I like it. It keeps me firmly accountable for both my cals in and cals out. I find it fascinating and I hope I always do. This is the 3rd time on the roller coaster ride and with any luck my last (my first time with mfp). I find I wake up every morning and look forward to logging.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I think *I* will have to go on logging for the rest of my life, or for a very long time. Is that the case for everyone? No. But I know how I am, and I think this will be necessary for me.

However - once I'm in maintenance, I suspect I'll probably take the weekends 'off' from logging. I went up to maintenance over the Christmas holidays (for 2 weeks), and I didn't really log much at all. Didn't gain a thing. I will likely do the same thing when I go visit my family this summer.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    I suspect I will have to count calories for the rest of my life, perhaps not daily but a few times a week to ensure I'm within a reasonable amount otherwise I will regain weight. It's not an appealing prospect but if that's what it takes to stay healthy then so be it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    I thought once I got to where I wanted to be I could stop counting and as a result I have added 20lbs back on =(
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    I've come to the realization that counting calories may not be a life long deal for me, but that nourishing my body is. I now know what makes my body work better and what makes me feel like crap. I definitely do not to stuff myself to the point of being uncomfortable. I have never had an off switch that lets me know when I have had enough food, but paying attention to my body's clues I am able to eat less than I have in the past.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    I think I will stop logging and begin guestimating eventually. I'm pretty good with numbers, so I'm sure it will just be a passing thought about whether or not I should eat something that day.

PS- Why do you hate the "g" key so much? :(
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    bumping for later
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    I think I will probably count calories for the rest of my life, I am ok with this. I feel like if I stopped the weight would creep back on and I am never ever going back to the way i was before. Just my pinion