TDEE and BMR

Options
I have been doing alot of reading on TDEE and BMR and was just wondering which site to use the calculate these numbers. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    This is a really good one for TDEE.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Does BMR and such as well
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I lost half my weight before even learing what those terms meant. MFP's calculation worked wonders.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

This. It breaks way down for you, explaining calories, macros, etc...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I prefer a calculator that takes your lean body mass and body fat % into account. The spreadsheet in the "in place of a roadmap" group has this.

It is an excel spreadsheet with several calculators built in....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    MFP works great. The Mifflin St Joer calculation that MFP uses is widely believed to be the most accurate of calculators.

The problem people here run into is being too aggressive in their goals.

Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You are responsible for choosing an accurate activity level. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

Then, when MFP prompts you to recalculate (every time you reach a ten-pound loss milestone) recalculate. Eat the calories earned by exercise. It works...if you are not too aggressive. So basically, EAT!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

If you have a desk job, or go to school or spend a portion of your day sitting, you are sedentary. Sedentary doesn't mean laying in bed, it means not having an active job that has you on your feet all day. You're confusing BMR calories with a sedentary lifestyle. Exercise is included separately in MFP's calculations.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    . not worth it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    None, they're all "estimates" just pick one and try it out.

x 2.

It will eventually come out in the process no matter what calculator you use.