Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    oh sweet jesus

yeah, def this.
  • apostle22
    Options
    Yeah i'm just going to focus on calories. I'm having a hard enough time as it is eating 2000 a day. I dont have high blood pressure or any problems sugar causes. 95% of my sugars are natural with the only bad thing i take in is about 1/2 tbsp of chocolate to make chocolate milk because i cant stand plain milk.

I need to stop overthinking. thanks for the replies.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're worrying to much.

I can't even get my macros right but as long as they seem ok it will do!!
  • Natelywills
    Options
    I would suggest you give yourself a break. The nutrition information is there as a healthy guideline. It's the calories that really matter. Stick to your numbers and you will lose weight. If you find you're over in your sodium, counteract it with a high potassium food (bananas are a quick fix) and drink a ton of extra water that day to counteract bloating. I've lost 18lbs, my sister lost 40 and my Mum lost 20 just sticking to the calories. It's do-able, just hang in there.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    give yourself a break, if all the macros are stressing you out then display fewer macros, eat a balanced diet, try not to go overboard on the sugars and drink lots of water and you'll be fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sugar is part of carbs, so I don't track it. Sodium I track but only so that I'll know if I'm likely to retain water.

My thoughts are to first just worry about calories. Once you get that in check start trying to hit your macros. After that you can worry about the micro-stuff, if you so desire.
  • Natelywills
    Options
    As others have said, I don't really believe natural sugar, within reason, or sodium, without a medical issue, is a big deal. However, if it really bothers you, the easiest way to manage your sodium is to never buy food where the amount of sodium exceeds the amount of calories. Since your caloric goal is under your sodium goal, you'll never have to think about this again.

This^ Yup, yup!!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This site is just a guide.. sodium only makes you retain water unless you have an underlying medical issue it's not a huge issue to go over.

Fat/sugar from fruits and veggies is the problem, its added sugar that is the problem. You can't differenciate between the two on here.

If you eat *healthy* *whole* foods you'll have no problems staying within good ranges for all those.

I worry more about getting the calories where I want them.

This

I track my sodium but I don't freak out if I go over unless it's a HUGE amount.
  • SmileGirl26
    Options
    Don't worry to much about! Calorie counting and working out will work.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have always applied the K.I.S.S method (Keep it Simple Stupid) over thinking it will be your biggest downfall. From the beginning I have never tracked anything more than my Caloric intake and my 3 main Macro's (Carbs, Protein, and Fats) beyond that I have never tracked a single gram of Sugar or Sodium. I get in around 120 ounces of water a day and get my butt off the couch and exercise 6 days a week with Sundays off... So far it seems to be working...... Best of Luck.....
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Stop tracking sodium and sugar. put some other nutrients on your diary...like potassium and fiber and try to reach those numbers every day. Unless you have a medical reason for reducing sodium there is no reason to be concerned about it. And sugar...forget about that number if all your sugar is coming from real food and not from baked goods and candy.

I looked at your diary. You would do well to concentrate on eating more fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables and more whole foods cooked at home. Kudos on the whole wheat pasta.

If I could have 2,000 cal per day I'd be eating pasta almost every day. I can easily polish off a triple serving in no time flat.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    dont be so extreme about it. No one is going to have perfect numbers, its just not practical. That being said, figure out where your sodium is coming from and stop eating that food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason you're micro managing and not macro managing. If you don't have a medical condition that warrants that kind of management, then just stop..it's very difficult and cumbersome to manage your micro nutrients. Customize you macros and you will be fine. I go over on sugar all of the time and I WAS pre-diabetic...I get very little refined/added sugar in my diet and most of my sugar (still over) comes from a couple servings of fruit per day, my veg, and some whole grains and other starches...my blood work is much improved even though I'm over on sugar.

To reduce sodium, you pretty much have to forgo anything pre-packaged or processed...and just go low sodium when you do get those things. I'm hypertensive and have to watch my sodium...I'm usually within 2,000 Mg to 2,500 Mg per day if you want to look at my diary. I can rarely get it below 2,000. For my hypertension, getting it below 2,000 never made a bit of difference...but if I go much over 2,500 I can pretty much feel my BP go up.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath....

Don't try to change everything at once. Start with portion control. Then make healthier choices. Slowly cut back and eliminate the things that are the worst offenders. Ignore the macro's as others have said until you get a grip on your calories. Make changes you can sustain long term. It's much easier to accept them if you ease into them then to change everything.

Read nutrition labels. The buzz words diet, light, low fat, no fat, healthy, sugar free, nutrition rich, whole, organic, all natural, x number of grains, probiotic does not necessarily equal low calorie or healthy. Many of these things add in other stuff that's worse for you than eating the regular version of it. For a lot of things I'd rather cut my portion size by 10% than save 10% in calories to be eating things that don't taste as good and contain unknown ingredients that may be harming me. There is to much good food out there to eat things that don't taste as good as they can and be as healthy for me as they can be.

If your serious about cutting sodium cut out the fast food and cut back on processed food. There is also a big difference in sugar if it is coming from fruits and vegetables versus candy bars and processed food.