Do I need a therapist??

Options
I have been fighting weight gain since college about 25 years now. I get motivated and lose weight only to revert back to old habits. Sometimes I stay focused for months. Sometimes weeks and sometimes a day. I have thought about going to a therapist to get down to why I do this so maybe I can find the answer of how to stop. I.am not getting any younger and motivation is harder and harder to come by. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My thought is that if you have to ask yourself that question then the answer is probably yes.

Personally, I wouldn't see a therapist for that reason, but you and I are two different people, and I don't really have that kind of insight into your personality. Best of luck!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think seeing a therapist should be mandatory and free for everyone. We're all ****ed.
  • christypaxson
    Options
    I think seeing a therapist should be mandatory and free for everyone. We're all ****ed.

Agreed! :smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's up to you... but it seems like you want the therapist to "fix" you so you stick to a diet/exercise regimen. I would not put money there, personally... much like I wouldn't put money into HCG.

I think you just need to realize that perhaps you're making excuses, and simply need to stop.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

And this :)
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Many of us need a therapist. There is no shame in it. I have a friend who is a member of OA and that worked really well for her. Just a suggestion!
  • jessimacar
    Options

I agree as well. It can't hurt anything but your wallet to look at yourself and see what makes you tick.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love my therapist!!

I initially started seeing a therapist years ago to deal with my divorce and addiction problems. While those issues aren't completely resolved, I can now start to work on other issues. I do think that some of us hide behind our weight for reason we aren't conscious of. I am excited to dissect this a little more and see what I can learn. I think you should do it! Therapy is never a bad thing. Like a poster said earlier, everyone should do it.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think that is a very personal question only you can know the answer to.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    It sounds like seeing a therapist could help you discover underlying issues that may be leading to self-sabotage. I don't know that it's necessary but it sounds like it would be worth a try. If you have insurance, you can call your insurance company and ask for a list of mental health providers in your area that they will cover.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been working with my therapist going on 4 years now... We started with my food addiction and have worked through so much more... For myself it was a no brainer and I look forward to my monthly sessions... In the beginning we met more often but as I healed we spaced out our appointments. Best of Luck.....
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting weight gain since college about 25 years now. I get motivated and lose weight only to revert back to old habits. Sometimes I stay focused for months. Sometimes weeks and sometimes a day. I have thought about going to a therapist to get down to why I do this so maybe I can find the answer of how to stop. I.am not getting any younger and motivation is harder and harder to come by. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Choice is yours. But I don't think you're alone in terms of reverting to old habits. You have to ask yourself if you really want weight loss to happen for you. Maybe it would help to reflect about each time you "stopped." What was going on in your life at the time and list possibilities that could have contributed to you reverting to old habits?

Did you feel too deprived? Was it affecting your social life in terms of dining out? Were you eating the same things over and over and bored? These are questions you can ask yourself while deciding if you want to see a therapist or not.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I am not saying you need one because of those habits, but if you are asking about it, maybe you know the answer for yourself and your needs!

Good luck, and we are all cheering you on no matter what!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options

Sounds about right.
  • lyniemac
    Options
    Thanks!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I saw a counselor for severe OCD. I see routinely see him... I went from 2 times per week to once every 2 months in a matter of like 3 months. I'm not holding my breath my any means :)

I believe in the power of counseling with my whole heart. Even counselors see counselors. I'm a social worker and in my free time I see couseling. Boom. There ya go. I'm hoping your insurance will cover costs. I do pay for some co-pays each visit, but I would pay all the money in the world to work on my OCD and to talk to someone who cares. Its nice. :)
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I also see a dietician.. I struggled with my weight because I went through a lot of life changers in high school, and it was a habit I developed to feel better by eating. I am now type 2 diabetes because of it. I see a dietician when I feel like I'm slipping.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My belief is that weight loss is mostly habits. We have to change our habits or adapt to them and it's possible that a therapist can help you do this, but it might be cheaper if you can figure out how to change your own habits.

Habits are hard to change, that's why they're habits. A lot of times it's not something big, it's something comfortable that we like to do. My bad habit is eating potato chips at night, I like the salt and crunch. It all starts when I sit down in front of the tv at the end of the night. I ate well all day, worked out, and then I add about 500 - 600 calories before bed.

I like sitting down in front of the tv after a full day of work and evening of fun or working out ;) I tried to break this habit and couldn't so I worked with it. I now eat microwave potato chips and my 500 - 600 calories is now 200 calories of a much healthier snack.

The difference means my six pack dream is getting pretty close to a reality, and I will be 47 this summer.