Sugar free chocolate? Thoughts?

Options
ts1717
ts1717 Posts: 101 Member
Calories I know! But what you all think about the health of sugar free candies?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think sugar free chocolate tastes gross, though artificial sweetener's funky aftertaste is not my cup of tea in any product, let alone chocolate. Life is too short to eat crappy chocolate. Eat the real stuff in moderate portions so you can fit it into your calories.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think sugar free chocolate tastes gross, though artificial sweetener's funky aftertaste is not my cup of tea in any product, let alone chocolate. Life is too short to eat crappy chocolate. Eat the real stuff in moderate portions so you can fit it into your calories.

Couldn't have said it better!
    What's the point of eating chocolate if you are not going to enjoy it?
    However Lindt uses a large amount of real coca bean and is lower in calories. It is a bit more expensive but absolutely delish!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    chemical crapstorm
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Much rather have half as much as the real stuff.

My mum is diabetic would prefer one square of regular stuff over sugar free stuff too :)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    stay close to the bathroom if you eat to many! the real stuff is better and worth it in my opinion!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to eat crappy chocolate. Eat the real stuff in moderate portions so you can fit it into your calories.

^^ This right here!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love it! Thats all I buy. It makes me feel better about my eating choices
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go for normal chocolate, just less of it.

The sound of sugar free chocolate sounds depressing, not to mention gross.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Get the real stuff, organic 70-80% dark chocolate is amazing and way better for you. Chocolate is supposed to be a decadent treat.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    chemical crapstorm

This. I try to avoid the low fat, low cal sugar free stuff. I figure they are adding something else to give it the sweet taste...and I don't know what it is. :flowerforyou:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, and I won't do sugar-free stuff. The sugar alcohol tears up my stomach if I eat too much of it.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the brand.

A lot of local candy places make sugar free chocolates and they're pretty darn good...
    Others taste like wax...or wax covered crap.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to spend the calories on a treat, I'd rather eat the good stuff. I don't like the after-taste of diet candies and there's a laxative effect for some of them, depending on the sweetener used. A lot of people think diet candies are better for you or lower in calories, but this is not always the case. Many of them are geared more toward people who can't have sugar than people on low calorie diets. Russell Stover peanut butter cups have 80 calories per cup. Reese's miniatures have 43 calories per cup. I think the Russell Stover may be a bit bigger... but still. Not worth it to me. Unless I develop diabetes, give me the real stuff!

ETA: As for the "health" there are really no conclusive studies that I've found done on people that show whether artificial sweeteners are good or bad. You can find plenty of sensationalized magazine and news stories that claim they'll give you cancer, but I dare you to find one REAL study with a large and varied human population.

That might be a real dare. I'm tired of looking.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think they taste nasty.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    crapstorm

QFT
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Makes as much sense to me as non-alcoholic beer or decaffeinated coffee ... but hey, if you like the taste ... here speaks someone who is not averse to chugging down a Coke Zero which has to be the mother and father of all chemical nastiness ...
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Lindt Dark 72% or 85% chocolates are fantastic! One ounce of the 85% is 163 calories and not very high in carbs/sugar.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm a type- I diabetic, and when I was first diagnosed, a lot of people gave me sugar-free chocolates as gifts. In my experience, the effect of the sugar alcohols on my blood glucose is unpredictable and not in line with the claims of the products. They also taste weird and cause intestinal distress. I personally would not eat them ever again.

Then again, if you consider laxatives recreational drugs, you may enjoy eating sugar-free chocolate.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yuck. Don't bother!