Glutamine?

Anyone take glutamine as a supplement to help with DOMS? Does it help you recover faster?

Replies

• Carrie_704
    Carrie_704 Posts: 24 Member
    I take it daily. It's helped a lot! I'm not cured, but its a lot better than when I started!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    FWIW, about 20% of the amino acids in whey protein are glutamine. That means that a scoop of whey with 23g of protein has about 5g of glutamine. It's the most abundant amino acid in natural protein.

Regular ol meat (chicken, turkey, etc) similarly has a ton of glutamine.

Think about that before you spend $10 on a bottle of glutamine pills.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    FWIW, about 20% of the amino acids in whey protein are glutamine. That means that a scoop of whey with 23g of protein has about 5g of glutamine. It's the most abundant amino acid in natural protein.

That's why I'm asking. I know my protein powder has some in it, I just didn't know if taking any extra would help. I mainly would only need it after my deadlifting days...my hamstrings are super weak, and can hurt for a few days afterwards, which limits my flexibility for other workouts.
  • jonnythan

That's why I'm asking. I know my protein powder has some in it, I just didn't know if taking any extra would help. I mainly would only need it after my deadlifting days...my hamstrings are super weak, and can hurt for a few days afterwards, which limits my flexibility for other workouts.

I wouldn't worry about any special amino acid supplements. If you get 100g of protein in a day, you're already getting like 20g of glutamine.

As for hamstrings, deadlifts are great but you can really only do those heavy once a week. Totally a good idea to target the hamstrings with some accessory stuff like leg curls on other days.
  • dare2love81

I wouldn't worry about any special amino acid supplements. If you get 100g of protein in a day, you're already getting like 20g of glutamine.

As for hamstrings, deadlifts are great but you can really only do those heavy once a week. Totally a good idea to target the hamstrings with some accessory stuff like leg curls on other days.

I'm only deadlifting one day a week right now, Mondays. But it's taking until Thursday before all the DOMS are gone. My trainer has me doing strengthening exercises and hamstring curls to get them stronger as I'm very quad dominant right now. They'll strengthen up slowly but surely! Thanks!
  • jonnythan
    Sounds like you have it squared away.

I will say this about DOMS: enjoy them. Before long you won't get them anymore. Makes you feel useless on rest days. At least when you have DOMS you can feel all sore like you deserve the rest.
  • dare2love81
    I do love DOMS. I just don't care for it when it hurts to sit down for days on end. One, maybe two days max I'm fine with. I get annoyed when it hinders my ability to do other workouts.