mfp calories burned vs. machine calories burned

Options
I am just wondering if which method people use in counting calories burned. I'm using a gym machine where you enter your weight and age and it shows half the calories burned as MFP says. Im not sure which method to take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i never knew which one to use so i actually went out at got a polar heart rate monitor and it tells you how much you burned exactly...thats the only thing i really trust. i suggest get a heart rate monitor that shows u how much u burned when you workout
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    People usually say use the machine as long as you CAN enter your own height and weight, but I always just use the smaller number. Only because I don't want to overestimate and then end up eating over my calories. Have you tried using a heart rate monitor? That might be the most accurate way to count burned calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I go by the machine because it has me put in my weight... but if I have a pocket, I'll use my phone because it has me enter in my height and weight so it's more accurate - and about an 80 calorie difference.