Cardio or lifting first?

Options
13»

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    On a short day, i do a 5 minute warmup, weight training and 5 minutes cardio after.

On a full workout day, I do my warmup, weight training and then 20 minutes HIIT. If I did the HIIT first there is no way I would have the energy to do the weight lifting, and it feels good to run it out after I've done weights. Then I have my protein shake and voila!! Workout complete!

Above all, enjoy it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Throwing something slightly different in the ring here; it depends what your goals are. If, for example, your cardio is training for a running race, you'll want maximum energy for that, so do it first then do resistance training; say a regular upper body workout and lower body concentrating more on leg stabilisation and core for injury prevention

Ideally, do them on separate days. You have five or six training days a week, and you will get more out of putting all your effort into each type of workout three times a week rather than going at it half-heartedly more often.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on the rower first for about 20-30 mins to warm up, then I do the lifting, then, if I'm still going at the end of that, I'll go on the bike for the end for another 20-30. And if I'm still going, I might do a yoga type class afterwards for an hour or swim.

Mind you, I am lifting at the moment for joint stabilisation, as weightbearing cardio isn't suitable with borked joints. Doing it that way round means I'm minimising chances of injury and it's a sort of interval training. When I am certain my joints are stable, then I can look at additional cardio.

So that might not work for everybody.