Fast Food - Call Out!

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a Subway close by? That's the only "fast food" I will eat.

Eww. Their chicken.......It's even farther from real chicken than the other places listed above. If you want a veggie sub I guess that's fine.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    im not going to jump on the bandwagon and tell you to avoid these places, that even the "good for you" is loaded with sodium, etc. I eat fast food....sometimes a lot....sometimes i make good choices there...sometimes i don't...having said that:

Mcdonalds-probably can get away with a grilled chicken something and a yogurt parfait, but i always go nuggets and fries:)
    carls jr-turley burger isnt bad...also the charbroiled fish right now during lent is pretty tasty
    burger king-i get whopper junior no mayo (or sometimes mayo) and fries and make it fit into my day or week
    wendys-my go to fast food, ultimate grilled chicken, no sauce and a side salad
    chick fil a-grilled chicken and side salad
    i dont think i have any of the others around me
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    IMO try and stay away from the Fast Food joints as long as you can as it's better for your weight and cholesterol ..
  • Obey46
    Obey46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IIFYM!

Cuttin on Carne Asada Fries ftw
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wendys grilled chicken apple pecan salad. Delicious!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Along my journey I was trying to include a daily fast food item, now I've almost completely excluded them. Here are some suggestions:

Qdoba or Chipotle Crispy (not soft) Tacos (any meat) lettuce and cheese only - salsa is FULL of sodium - just like most of subway meats! You can also remove the shells and dump it all into a pile and eat like a salad to reduce carbs. Or crumble 1 taco shell into this salad you just made. You can also add fajita vegetables to anything.

1 Steak taco is:

180 calories
    9 carbs
    11 fat
    14 protein
    185 sodium

Soft Tortillas are high in carbs and sodium so not good to eat burritos/soft tacos very often. Also If you're having a burrito use the queso cheese instead of shredded unless you tell them how much cheese to put on it. Remarkably, queso has less than shredded when in that volume. If eating tacos use shredded. Qdoba has brown rice and whole wheat tortillas, but again tortillas are high in carbs/sodium.

You can also find chicken in the deli sections of local grocery stores, usually an 8 piece for about $6.99 (baked, bbq, fried - remove skin) or KFC Grilled chicken or Popeyes (remove skin).

a Burger King hamburger patty by itself - no bun or condiments is:

90 calories
    0 carbs
    7 fat
    7 protein
    30 sodium

I would take 2 double burgers and put them on 1 bun, so 4 patties and 1 bun (top & bottom), or use 1 side of the bun and fold it in half to reduce carbs. Of course this varies per your calories/goals - I'm a big boy and was looking for high protein.

I would at times put my own cheese on the burger because theirs is pretty high in fat/calories. There's some thin sliced cheddar/mozzarella from Sargento you could use instead.

McDonalds burgers are full of salt and high sodium.

Pickels are also loaded with sodium, skip them if you can.

Of course as everyone will say, it's best not to eat it, and make your own food so you know what's in it. :tongue:
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Cup of water

haha....

I personally will not step foot in those places - not even for a salad - I feel like my money should go to supporting those businesses that actually care about what they are serving us, not just their CEO's pockets.

Subways is a somewhat healthier/fast foodie kinda place, as is Cosi's, Prett, and Panera's.

Mind you, their sodium is still sky high, but at least ingredients are healthy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Qdobas Naked Queso burritto was my favorite. Its about 550 calories but you are FULL from that 1 burritto. And there are many good ingredients like grilled chicken, veggies and beans in it. You can reduce the calories even more by reducing the queso cheese but thats no fun. Another way would be reducing the rice amount
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    McDonalds I used to order protein platters, which they no longer do :(

But a grilled chicken sandwich add slivered onions with no bun (on a pancake platter) with a side salad and the shot of mayo on the side, no dressing (I use the mayo instead even though it's higher in fat haha).

It's pretty much a grilled chicken salad with onions in it and mayo as the dressing, I love it to be honest.

But if you're going to go out to eat, fast food, then a salad without dressing, croutons, taco strips/ bacon is the best bet.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There are a few options at Wendy's. Check out their website - they have a fantastic online meal calculator.

I got nuthin' for the rest.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Chick Fila is the only fast food ill eat.
  • swil4
    swil4 Posts: 19
    Options
    At Mcdonalds I will get an egg mcmuffin, no ham for breakfast! If it's lunch, usually a chicken wrap and small fries... The lunch is still high in calories but Mcds' fries are my favorite and I would rather get a small order than none at all...

Subway, I get the sweet onio chicken teryaki sub...

Any other time, I bring my breakfast, lunch and snacks...

Grilled chicken, rice, apples and lots of water...
  • tnt7787
    Options
    Go to their websites and look up the calories in everything. I was a fast food junkie when I started this. I went onto the sites of the places I frequented most and made a cheat sheet for myself. Not only did this help me make a better decision about what I get if I get fast food, but it has also kept me away from it more. Also, surprisingly, things that I would normally get were sometimes lower in calories than things I thought would be better. For example, I always get the 8 nuggets at Chick Fil A, deicded to get the chargrilled chicken sandwich and it actually has more calories than the nuggets. I will also stay away from the wraps because the calorie count on those is ridiculous.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    mickey d's - crispy grilled chicken wrap ranch

Under 300, fat is around 12 grams
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Weinerschnitzel. So you're telling me you have a fast food hot dog place out west? GOD. DAMN.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    For those who recommended Subway: I did some research on Subway, and the information I received about their healthy foods (although much better compared to many fast food chains) isn't that great. I still am partial to Subway over any of these fast food chains, but I am curious about for those who are more disciplined at this than I am (no excuses here), what are some healthier alternatives (if any) from these restaurants? It's more of a research poll than anything else. Not to mention, for those rare (EXTREMELY RARE) days where I crave a burger, what would you suggest? (I haven't eaten any burger in over a year -- I usually substitute chicken sandwiches over a burger any day).

I suggest if you are craving it then you get one.
    If you haven't eaten a burger in over a year then you've already made a lifestyle change. Don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy, 1lb is 3500 calories, so one burger to satisfy a craving when it's not part of your regular diet is really not going to change your progress.
    Again, don't deprive yourself because then you are treating this like a diet and it should be a change to your eating habits that you stick to for the rest of your life!
  • pinkflower2885
    pinkflower2885 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    in-n-out has a protein style no cheese and a vege alternative. most places you can opt out of the fries and get a salad instead. Try for grilled items skip the starches and ask for veges. Good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    McDonald's - any of the grilled chicken salads without the dressing. Will be high in sodium, but calories and protein amounts are good. Also, a kids meal has around 400 calories for just the food items, depending on which choice you get. So if you get one of those with water, it's not bad calories-wise, but the fat/carbs/sodium will be higher than the salad

Carl's Jr - Their salads, without the dressings, would be the best options. But the fat is still kind of high on all of the regular portion ones, for a salad. Their turkey burgers by themselves are almost 500 calories and loaded with fat, and not that filling on their own.

Burger King - never eat here, no idea what's on the menu

In-N-Out - not really anything great, but your best option would be to get whatever burger you get "protein-style" so it'd wrapped in lettuce rather than between a bun. And their "sauce" is just ketchup and mustard, no mayo or anything, so not terrible.

Wendy's - I haven't eaten here in a while but the last time I checked their menu they have some salads now, that all seemed high in calories and fat for a salad. And the sodium is especially high for salads as well. The sour cream and chives baked potato is tasty, but is around 350 calories, no protein, and definitely not filling enough as a meal. The nice thing about their nutritional info is that it has a section for each of the sandwich components, so if you want to customize a sandwich to fit your needs, you can get the exact nutritionals for it.

Fred's Burgers - don't have these near me

Weinerschnitzel - haven't found a single better option other than sticking to just a single item and nothing else.

Roberto's - don't have these near me
    Alberto's - don't have these near me

Add Subway to your list - you can get any of the sandwiches turned into a salad. The plain chicken breast is the lowest sodium meat option and you can still stack the salad full of veggies like you do the sandwiches. If you really want a sandwich, go for the same meat option. My favorite thing is to order the footlong chicken breast, load it with veggies (no sauce, no cheese) and then ditch half of the bun, move all of the stuff from the second half onto the first half and have a bunch of meat and veggies in just the six-inch size bun. It's around 430 calories and the amount of protein equalizes the carbs a bit more.
  • mprat210
    mprat210 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    McDonalds- Grilled BBQ Chicken Wrap
    Burger King- Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich with no mayo...I ask for BBQ sauce
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Closest thing to fast food I'll ever do it a quesadilla at Salsarita's, and that is once every few months. All the others make me incredibly ill, including Subway.

Not to mention after doing a little research of ingredients at all of them, I refuse to ever eat them again. I'd rather not eat food cooked in petroleum based oils, but that's just my preference. To each their own!

Also, Panera Bread. Not fast food I suppose, but I love Panera!