Full Timers: What's your favorite lunch to bring?

Options

Replies

• wildfirediva
    Options
    Breakfast (at work) Protein Shake

Lunch is usually leftovers (meat, veggies, salad). I also love the Wholy Guacamole 100cal packs.

I bring a container of liquid egg whites on occasion and fix that up or I have been known to bring a dozen eggs (half boiled, half raw) and use them for breakfast lunch or snacks during the week.

Especially love chopped hardboiled egg with tuna and some mustard. Sometimes I will bring in a quality bagged salad or spinach.

Don't hate but I really enjoy sardines for lunch. Yes there are ways to enjoy them without getting the oil and they are not that "stinky" if you disposed of everything properly. They are higher in protein, trace minerals and have less mercury.

My desk drawer....tea bags for hot tea, almonds or mixed nuts and a jar of peanut butter
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love salads; all different kinds but my favorite is an avocado, a red onion, romaine lettuce and salt/pepper. It's amazing.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

The rotisserie chicken idea is fantastic! I've never thought of that before. Thank you for this!

If you have a crockpot make your own it will save you tons its a weekly staple of mine.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like the weight watchers flatbreads or some of the 'Healthy Choice' gourmet entree bowls as my main lunch. Snacks are dark chocolate almonds, fruit, greek yogurt, hummus with cut up veggies to dip.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Baked oatmeal 'muffins'
    english muffin with turkey sausage & egg beaters
    berry protein shake with chia seeds

Morning Snack:
    orange or granny smith apple slices with lemon juice on them.

Lunch:
    I RARELY have time to eat it, but if I do, it's typically soup.

I also keep raisins at work if I get hungry, the problem that I have is that I get so busy that I typically don't end up eating lunch until after I get home - which is fine I guess, because I don't realize that I'm hungry until I get home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers most days. If no leftovers, it's usually a sandwich wrap (homemade) or cottage cheese with tomatoes and leafy greens. If I have a snack it's usually low sodium V8, dry roasted edamame or an apple.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i like when i have leftovers from the night before to bring for lunch; i try to do that as much as possible

aside from that, though:
    avocado & cucumber salads with either hemp hearts or tofu for protein
    tuna with veggies and rice
    eating right soups when i am really in a pickle (their split pea one is high protein, low cal, and delicious!)
    peanut butter sandwiches
    .... that's all i can think of right now

my biggest focus is lots of fruit, veggies, and nuts for snacks throughout the day; usually a Vega bar as well.
    and breakfast: i always bring either plain greek yogurt with an assortment of things added to it (chia, hemp hearts, cinnamon, honey, berries, etc.) or some egg whites which i then add cheese, peppers, and other veggies to for a quick microwave omelette =) ETA: my 3rd breakfast option is a protein shake.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I buy a rotisserie chicken on the weekend and use the breasts for 2 lunch meals during the week. My lunch for the remaining days comes from leftovers at home, usually chicken or pizza.

I pack fruit almost daily - strawberries, grapes, blackberries.

Snacks include: reduced fat peanut butter, low-fat string cheese, almonds, 100 calorie popcorn, and Nature Valley granola bars.

I only drink water.

Genius on the rotisserie chicken! I must start doing that.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I also eat breakfast at work: fat free yogurt or eggs

Lunch : usually leftovers from dinner (meat and veggies) or smoked turkey spread from the deli in the building

snacks: peanut butter, unsalted crackers. nuts, fat free sugar free jello

to drink: water or occasionally an unsweetened iced tea with lemon
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    chicken avacodo salad. Replace mayo with mashed avocado and slap between to pieces of bread.

Also, I love to make Chicken Tikka in grilling weather.

Another favorite: Grilled salmon on a bed of spring mix salad. Topped off with sesame seeds.

Another fave: Chicken Waldorf salad made from leftover rotisserie chicken.
  • Helenavee42
    Options
    I normally cook up some chicken with some pepper and oregano on the weekends that way i have it all week. For lunch it's usually a big salad with lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, carrots, and some chicken, or 1 or 2 chicken pitta pockets with a small side salad, or a make shift pizza using pita bread with roasted or fresh raw crushed tomatoes with some chicken and mozzarella microwaved so its hot and the cheese is melted (add some avocado slices and bake it and have it for dinner) and again a side salad. Snacks i bring are usually fruits and veggies sometimes ill bring jello or cottage cheese.
  • jennymendiola
    jennymendiola Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    100cal popcorn
    jif to go with apple
    hummus and carrots
    dried venison sausage
    triscuits and laughing cow cheese
    clementine
    grapes
    atkins shake (cafe caramel is the BEST!)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    stouffer's stuffed green pepper, campbell chunky soups, Lipton diet green tea, and an assortment of fresh fruit are available when I don't bring last night's leftovers for lunch.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh and the crockpot should really be everyone's best friend.
    I will make big batches of soup or chili or chicken and veggies etc. on Sunday and then portion it out into tupperwares.
    then, freeze half of them and the other half are for us to take for lunch once or twice during the following week.
    as a result, our freezer always has a few different varieties of ready-to-go lunches in it from weeks past that can be grabbed when all else fails.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm lucky to work in a building with an onsite cafe that has a reasonably priced salad and soup bar. For days that I don't brown bag it, I typically get a salad and small broth based soup. When I bring my lunch it's usually left overs or a sandwich with a can of progresso soup...snacks are the usual vegetables, fruits, things like that.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    Breakfast - Trader Joes 0% greek yogurt flavored either blueberry or pomegranite (has least fat and carbs of any greek yogurt ive found)

Morning snack - carrots and peanutbutter or cliff bar or granola bar

Lunch - grilled chicken (8-10 oz or so usually), some high fiber frozen green (Broccoli, spinach, or brussel sprouts) hot sauce lots of hot sauce

Afternoon snack - cliff bar or single scoop protein shake (20g) or both depending on how I feel

After workout protien shake (40g protein)

Dinner - Turkey burger or chilli more vegitables

After dinner snack -some fruit maybe with peanut butter if its apples or pears.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    oohhhh bump!
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    I make a smoothie at home and drink it at my desk. or
    I make oatmeal at the office and top it with banana, berries or nuts. or
    I toast a whole wheat English muffin at the office and top it with nut butter and banana.

Lunch:
    Soup, rice crackers, hummus, veggie sticks. or
    Egg salad, tuna salad, or lean deli meat and/or cheddar cheese with Wasa bread. or
    Salad with lean protein like chick peas or navy beans.

Snacks:
    Greek yogurt, apples, oranges, grapes, almonds, dark chocolate (I only bring enough for one little serving so I can't overindulge).

If I do decide to get take out I try to opt for sushi, shredded chicken tacos or tortilla soup from the healthy Mexican place down the road, or a salad from the supermarket.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    At my desk: anything from soups, canned tuna, Dijonnaise, plain oatmeal, little boxes of raisins, croutons, to red potatoes, mac n cheese, salt n pepper, honey, apples and oranges, fizzy water, and sweet potatoes (sometimes)
    In the work fridge: milk, kefir, grape tomatoes, avocados, baby carrots, lettuce, vegan unburgers, hard boiled eggs (sometimes).
    What I bring from home sometimes: dinner leftovers (e.g. meat chili, vegan chili, spaghetti sauce).
    The nearest place for lunch is a 2 mile drive, so it's best to have everything here that I need.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Wholly Guacamole (100 cal packs, that's more than enough!)

WAIT A MINUTE!! I was **JUST** at the store this afternoon, just 1 hour ago, looking at the Wholly Guac and wondering why in heck they don't make little packs of it becuase I couldn't keep a regular pack at work without wasting most of it.

So they do, and I've just not found them? I've never seen them and I'm always near the fresh dip/dressing/salsa guac area of the store because it's where the produce is. I need to have little wholly guacs!