Discouraged after someone else's success story...

So I was watching TLC the other night and was watching 600 pound woman. I was watching her transformation from 600 lbs to 125 lbs. I can't imagine how difficult it was for her to do that. It makes my 100 pound loss seem like crumbs.

I know her situation is much different than mine, having to go through gastric bypass and multiple surgeries to remove excess skin...but after 4 years she was able to meet her goal.

I've been doing this for 2 years and have only lost 35 pounds. (Granted I did lose more, but fell off the wagon).

I know a lot of it is just putting the fork down and moving more...but I still feel like I should be doing more...

(I will be getting my Zumba certification in April, so I'm hoping that will help me stay more active)

Maybe I just need someone to tell me to get over it...bummed out still...

Replies

• efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    You slowed down your own progress by falling off the wagon. But at least right now you are 35 pounds closer to the weight you want. You just need to be more consistent. I find consistency to be the most important part of losing weight. Once you have a bad day it is so hard to build up momentum again at least for me. One bad day usually means I am not losing for 2 or 3 days at least. So be more consistent.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    4 years of day after day hard work compressed into an hour tv show with 45 minutes of commercials? It's hard to view that with any sense of reality.

But, I think you may do better considering your own story than worrying about anything shown on tv. You've lost 35 lbs-that's awesome! And you've said it yourself-it takes putting down the fork and moving more. Tv doesn't do such a good job of showing 4 years of that day over day struggle for the 600 pound person.

You will probably be much happier if you focus on your own efforts and your own needs, and don't try to compare yourself to anyone else. After all, your story is yours-and no one else's. and your success is just as exciting and worthy as anyone else's-we just don't get tv deals lol.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    You should never let others' success stories discourage you. Ever. They should only be an inspiration. You are going to be a Zumba coach! Those that you teach may share their stories with you, and you can't let that discourage you either. You should be inspired that the 600 pound woman was able to do everything that she did.

I will say it: You can either give up or get over it, your choice.

I know you can do this, and I don't even know you. Our lives are the summation of our choices. It is important that you BELIEVE that you can reach your goal. You have to change the mind, as well as the body.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    I fell off the wagon in 2011, after at the end of 2010 to lose weight. I didn't get back on the wagon until about two weeks ago. It's a hard struggle and I totally understand that. Obviously you know that you can lose weight because you've done it before. You can't compare your story to the one you saw on TV. It doesn't work the same way for every person. What you can do is go beyond what you've done in the past and be that success story. Don't worry about how long it takes you to do it, just do it. If you put forth 100% of the effort, in time the results will come.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Your 100lb weight loss makes my few pounds look like nothing, i still worked really hard. We all are working hard. There's always someone who lost more, all experiences are still valid
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    You shouldn't be jealous of someone else meeting their goal. If you are not getting the results you want change what you're doing. I was in the same boat and my problem was eating better. If you don't change your diet, you'll never get to the point you want. Let that motivate you to get your butt in gear. YOU CAN DO THIS! You have to not give up, Put some fire your @ss, COMMIT to eating clean and exercise at least 3 days per week. you can find recipes online for healthy food.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member

I know a lot of it is just putting the fork down and moving more...but I still feel like I should be doing more...

I don't understand this. What else should you be doing?

You've lost over 30 pounds so you obviously know how to do this. So make the decision to do it and get it done. Then if you want to "do more", you can be an inspiration to others - and a Zumba coach to help others take the successful journey you've taken.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Comparing ourselves to anything on TV is not helpful. Factual programming, like that show, may be based on facts, but there still needs to be elements involved to make it good TV....and there are careful rules about all of that, but you can't take it for much more than entertainment.

Turn your energy to your own success, to your own goals. Look honestly at your own life and what you want for you. These changes in eating, in exercising and in body shape/size should all be for you, and about you.

We all get discouraged, have less than exemplary days and we all have the choice on what we do next.

There will always be others who are more successful - be it in carreers, in fitness, whatever. There are also those who are less successful. We have no control over that, it is a fact of life, but we can certainly do everything in our power to make choices that make us as successful as we choose to be in every area.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    I appreciate all the support and encouragement. Some days my depression does a number on me and the voices in my head have nothing nice to say at all.

I'm pretty lucky to have the support of MFP and my family.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Some people succeed because they are destined to, but most people succeed because they are determined to ~ Anonymous Quote