Friday on the couch

Options
So let's say that throughout a day you drink four cups of water and that you get rid of two cups of water in urine and another two cups through perspiration and respiration. If you have nothing else to drink or eat, does your weight stay the same throughout that day?

So far today I have had about 2/3 cups of water (1/3 pound) as well as a hot chocolate (80 calories) and two clementines (70 calories). Perspiration, respiration and urine aside, that's a weight gain of about half a pound. And yet the gain at this time is close to a pound.

That makes no sense. And if I sleep on it to clear my head, of course the body clears too and erases the weight. That would be the end of my experiment. I woke up one pound below my goal, now I'm barely under. I know. It's a non-issue. A deluxe problem. If only you should so lucky. But if you were, for how long would it last?

If you happened to find $7 on the street, would you deposit it in your piggy bank or rush to the nearest Starbucks to check out that new Costa Rica Finca Palmilera that's so hot these days? A taste having attributes such as "Pineapple. Herbal complexity. Super-clean. Vibrant. Sparklingness. ... Lush, tropical, hints of white, not yellow, peach."

Lucky for me that I don't drink coffee. So maybe I'll stick with my non-exercise minimalist mode experiment for a bit beyond the morning and see where it takes me.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question227.htm

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: home scales are not accurate enough that a half pound difference actually matters :)

Sorry! Look at trends over time - weeks and months - not hours. You can stand on the scale 5 times in 5 minutes and lose or gain a pound or two each time. If out of curiosity I weigh myself a couple times, personally, my scale tends to vary by about a half pound.

Also, your body is burning energy, assuming you're still a live functioning being, so you're (slowly) losing weight all the time. Energy that allows you to do cool things like move and breath and speculate about your weight loss... Got to account for that too.

On a serious note, weighing yourself more than once a day can lead to unhealthy obsessions? Be very wary. Take care :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Best way to see losses is to weigh yourself before and after you go to the bathroom. BOOM, 2 lbs. down.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate & clementines would throw off your glucose levels, which would affect the outcome. Next time, perhaps a cup of tea and some broccoli?
  • TessaMaddox
    TessaMaddox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :huh:

bahahahahahha!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Mystery resolved. It would appear that the pound I was below my regular body weight when waking up was due to the overnight evaporation of the part of my brain mass that deals with the obvious. It would otherwise have been clear to me that this morning's unaccounted half of pound was missing because I hadn't included the cup of water that the envelope of hot chocolate got mixed into, lol.

I guess it is helpful to your brain to get some fresh air. Walked for an hour, spent an hour at a bookstore sipping another cup of tea and reading part of a health book, then walked back. My weight was exactly the same; I guess the walking, along with the perspiration etc, offset the half of pound of water from the tea.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    ummmm. they told me there would be no math here.