Gluten-free options

Options
I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease (and my doctor figured out that is why it has proved impossible for me to drop weight). I was going through my pantry, and EVERYTHING has gluten in it. I guess now's the time to become a really good cook. I am pretty new to the whole gluten-free thing (like, less than a week) and don't know where to start. Does anyone have recommendations for gluten-free recipes, or even gluten-free replacements for common foods? While I am dropping weight quickly now since I've started, I'm already getting tired of eating the same food everyday! Thanks! :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's great that you're feeling better!

If you want to keep losing weight, try to limit all the GF replacement products. most of them are higher in calories, sugars (and other added sweeteners), lower in fiber, and lower in protein.

I like corn tortillas.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I have celiac as well. Check out my diary if you'd like some ideas. A lot of the gluten free replacement products have a lot of calories so I've found it easier to just eat meat, veggies, fruit, rice, quinoa, and other "whole" unprocessed foods.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that already. >_< I went to a restaurant that has a special celiac menu yesterday and one of the meals came with a gluten-free bun in place of rolls. I looked up the nutritional information -- 250 calories! For a tiny bun! I didn't even really think of corn tortillas... great suggestion!

I'll do that, Huggen, thanks! I don't know anyone within my circle of friends and family that have celiac disease, so I'm going into this kinda blind.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Be aware that some things that say "gluten free" might not be and be aware of foods that have caramel coloring added because that has gluten in it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed with celiacs via biopsy or a gluten sensitivity? The reason I ask is because from what I understand (my mom was just diagnosed with celiacs after a biopsy) is that people with celiacs are usually underweight prior to diagnosis and ridding their diet of gluten helps them to finally gain weight. My mom has always been underweight and now that she's avoiding gluten is able to absorb the nutrients and has gained a bit of weight.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like to make items that are from cavegirlcuisine.net or yourlighterside.com.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have been GF for over a year for medical reasons as well. I am still learning too but will share what I have learned...

-If you are a pasta person try the corn pasta, its flavor AND texture are almost identical to regular pasta
    -Beware of "hidden" gluten (beware of modified food starch, caramel coloring, and malt flavoring...its in all these)
    -I have yet to find a good GF bread
    -fruits, veggies, and lean protiens are my new best friends...lol
    -brown rice
    -a lot of oatmeal is processed in the same plants as wheat so be careful
    -its easier just to avoid eating out (Hope you like to cook)
    -check out the asian aisle of your supermarket
    -Glutino pretzels are delicious
    -Namaste Pizza Crust is good
    -Betty Crocker GF brownies are good (Not healthy, but tastey!)

Recipe site that I have found that has a few GF dessert recipes that are also healthy is Chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Also my fav. PB Cookie recipe (NOT healthy but super tastey)
    1 Cup PB
    1 Cup sugar
    1 Egg
    Mix into dough, form cookies and bake at 350 for about 9-11 min. depending on your oven

Feel free to add me and take a peek at my diary (open to my friends). I have a pretty boring diet as I also have Erosive Gastritis and some odd food allergies which further limits my food choices but you may get some ideas. Good luck and btw, you will feel SO much better once all the gluten is out of your system!

Edited to add: Herb Ox boullions are GF and MSG free, If you like gravey thicken with arrow root or corn starch (I use corn starch) I have an amazing GF, dairy free cream of mushroom soup recipe also if you would like that (It can also be vegan, your choice)

Most lunch meats contain gluten...the deli at my local grocery store carries the brand Kretschmar which is GF and MSG and nitrate free.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce the gluten in my life for non-medical reasons (and dairy, too, incidently), and I use www.yummly.com!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this site. You can filter recipes based on gluten allergies (as well as a ton of other criteria).
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too... I just have a sensitivity as it will give me mild to bad stomach aches. I typically do GF monday thru friday and may have a little something with Gluten in it over the weekend. I cannot tell you how much better I feel on the whole when Im totally GF.

Ive been on yummly.com too... good website!
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    Just wanted to put this out there- from what I can find if you are in the US both modified food starch and carmel color are both gluten free. If either is derived from wheat the FDA requires the label to include "wheat" somewhere in it. If someone knows differently I'd love to know. I'm SUPER sensitive and haven't had problems with modified food starch and I don't think I've seen anything with Carmel color yet.
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Healthfulpursuit.com has some great gluten free recipes!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cadori - Celiac through biopsy. My doctor told me that being underweight with celiac is much more common, but some people have the opposite effect because they have a different reaction to gluten (just how some celiacs are more asymptomatic, some have constipation instead of diarrhea, etc). The reason she realized this was because my Vitamin D, B12, and iron were extremely low and she decided to have the test done. I'm not sure of any specifics yet, but her advice has been solid so far.

Thank you everyone so much for the suggestions!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Cadori - Celiac through biopsy. My doctor told me that being underweight with celiac is much more common, but some people have the opposite effect because they have a different reaction to gluten (just how some celiacs are more asymptomatic, some have constipation instead of diarrhea, etc). The reason she realized this was because my Vitamin D, B12, and iron were extremely low and she decided to have the test done. I'm not sure of any specifics yet, but her advice has been solid so far.

Thank you everyone so much for the suggestions!

Oh I'm so glad! It seems that celiac's has become the malady du jour and a lot of Drs are just throwing it out there without the real procedure, you know?

I hope this helps you heal, it's been a lifesaver for my mom. She had anemia, underweight, rhumatoid arthritis, squamous cell carcinoma on the roof of her mouth, rashes on her joints...all things that can be caused by Celiacs, but no one could figure out what was wrong and they kept testing for Lupus. She's been GF for a couple months now and is doing SO much better! She has energy and looks great. My dad's doing it with her for support. I like to find recipes for goodies she can have and my son and I make them and take them over. I've found some great GF baked goods recipes on chocolatecoveredkatie.com without the use of stuff like xanthum gum.
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I have celiac as well. My diary is open, feel free to add me! You'll have to end up making a lot of foods from scratch but I'd recommend always having some sort of snack foods in the house that are safe for you. I remember when I first went gluten free when I got really hungry I would have these little emotional breakdowns and just sort of freak out about not having anything to eat right now. It was silly, but having snacks like gluten free granola bars, nuts, tortilla chips, fruit, veggies, hummus, etc. around is really helpful while you're figuring out meals. Also, gluten free bread you can buy in the store is not very good and if you can, I'd recommend making your own. If you need a recipe, let me know! You can do this!
  • mylifemynow
    mylifemynow Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease (and my doctor figured out that is why it has proved impossible for me to drop weight). I was going through my pantry, and EVERYTHING has gluten in it. I guess now's the time to become a really good cook. I am pretty new to the whole gluten-free thing (like, less than a week) and don't know where to start. Does anyone have recommendations for gluten-free recipes, or even gluten-free replacements for common foods? While I am dropping weight quickly now since I've started, I'm already getting tired of eating the same food everyday! Thanks! :)

Coeliac here - little confused as to why coeliacs was preventing you dropping weight; most people gain weight after diagnosis a la not getting enough nutrients due to gluten-containing products. But that said, I dropped it (too much) too by not making up for the calories (nor/because of not knowing what they are), so I suppose that could be what's working in your favour.

What exactly are you eating now? You could find that - yes, you'll become a good cook very rapidly. Why? Because most store bought gluten-free products taste like crap.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm an undiagnosed celiac - or gluten sensitivity if you want. I had a ton of symptoms, and the GI I saw (a year after my diagnosis) agreed that I probably have it. Like over 90% sure. At any rate...

Stick to whole foods: meats, veggies, fruits, oils. Thats your safest bet right now. Be careful of some meats (particularly poultry), always read the labels because sometimes they are soaked in a broth that isn't safe.

You can add me as a friend too, my dairy is GF and open. I eat plenty, that's for sure! I'm trying to get my macros under control right now though, but my cals are usually good ;).

Couple of tips a lot of people don't mention; you'll need a GF toaster if you do breads, non-stick pans will need to be replaced because the gluten gets stuck in minute scratches on the surface (that you can't see), even if it says GLUTEN FREE in big letters on the package doesn't mean it IS GF - always, always always read labels THREE times!! Read it once at the store, once when you get home, then again when you go to eat it - before you put it in your mouth.

I was another that had trouble losing before going GF. I was never satisfied. I could eat and eat and eat some more, because I wasn't getting my nutrients from my food, my brain kept signaling to eat some more. I wasn't extremely overweight, but it was frustrating.

Good luck! Remember you can add me if you want!