50 in three weeks

Options
Hi,
I'm nearly 50 and 189lb. I need to lose 28lb to be ready for the summer. I've joined the gym (3 weeks in)!and am eating quite healthily although I do enjoy a glass or two or red wine most evenings. I have a stressful job!

Anyway...

I train hard - not joking- harder than some of the boys.
I have trained every day this week as off school (half term) cardio and weights each day and lift heavy. 10 - 12 reps max ,3 sets is all I can do... And alternate between legs and upper body each day. The cardioi do is strider or rowing (not on easy setting) cos I have weak ankles and an achilles injury so have to do low impact.
Next week (when back to school) I shall train 4 days at least Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday ....
I know I'm getting older but the weight isn't shifting...
Having said that I am changing shape and getting leaner... Is it working? Should I be doing cardio and weights? I warm up with 20 mins and wind down with 20 mins...then I walk home!
Any tips? Do not tell me to stop having a glass of wine...argh!!!

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of upper/lower splits for people that need to lose weight. That's an advanced technique that is good for adding muscle definition, not as awesome for overall conditioning/strength, body recomp. I'd recommend more of a 3xweek full body workout using the big compound lifts like you'll find in programs such as starting strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and StrongLifts. On non lifting days, HIIT would be great a few days, and some LIGHT cardio on the other days to round out.
  • rldavis120
    rldavis120 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories to support all your activity. If you don't get enough fuel, your body won't change. The older you are, the slower you shed the weight (I know, you don't want to hear that, but that's been my experience). If you are getting leaner, it's working.

You can continue doing the cardio & the weights on the same day or you can focus on cardio one day and weights the next day. Or, are you able to do 30 minutes of walking on your off days. Another option is to do some cardio in between your weight sets, i.e. do a set of chest presses followed by 30 to 60 secs of jumping jacks or jump rope followed by another set of presses (ups your calorie burn).

If you don't want to give up the wine, perhaps you can have limit yourself to one glass or have it every other day.

You can do this!! You just need to figure out what works for you.
  • tigga39
    tigga39 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Yes got that book....tho it's a hard read. Can't get it. I shall pick it up again and try to make sense of it... Thank you :smile:
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Another one to consider is New Rules of Lifting for Life. While it's not specifically for women, it is geared to folks our age and might help if you encounter issues with some of the lifts in NROLW.