Do you go to work when you're sick?

Options

Replies

• lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Stay home with pink eye for sure! I would say something to HR.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I don't get paid if I'm not here & I can't afford that loss. So, I called in sick twice in the past 4 years & went home early twice in the same time frame.

First time I called in was because I had coughed my voice into oblivion & since my job revolves around being on the phone, I said "can't do it today"

Second time was because of food poisoning

Went home early in 2009 because my son had just had his tonsils removed the day before & refused to drink anything for his dad. So to avoid an ER visit I left at noon.

And the second time I left early was because, once again, my voice vacated the premises.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I stay at home. I HATE being around sick people at work and wonder why they are being so inconsiderate. Inevitably they make others sick. I have a coworker who comes in with colds. She sniffs and sneezes and then puts paper on my desk. Gross!

Probably because they can't afford to stay home. :)

Isn't it just as inconsiderate to assume they are deliberately trying to inconvenience you?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I stay at home. I HATE being around sick people at work and wonder why they are being so inconsiderate. Inevitably they make others sick. I have a coworker who comes in with colds. She sniffs and sneezes and then puts paper on my desk. Gross!

Probably because they can't afford to stay home. :)

Isn't it just as inconsiderate to assume they are deliberately trying to inconvenience you?

They are not trying to inconvenience me, they are making me sick too.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    As a manager,I would be sending her home and tell she needs a note to return.

If I'm not contagious,I work.

I've worked with chicken pox once I confirmed I was not longer dangerous to others.

In December,I worked with pneumonia.

The only thing I cannot tolerate is working with a migrane.Cannot stare at a computer all day when I have one of those
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'll go with a cold, but when I get strep throat I won't go. It's contagious and also, it just sucks.

But, if I got paid sick days I'd be all "Just stubbed my toe, seeya Monday!"
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    yes. i dont like leaving my clients hanging like that.
  • Iceman420
    Options
    My company doesn't give us sick days, so I usually go to work when I'm sick. I only stay home when I'm too weak to move.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Pink eye - nice - and that she'd call off for sick dogs - apparently issues there!! I would be furious if someone at work didn't call in with something contagious like that.

The weirdest thing I ever called off for was for continuous hives I kept getting from some allergic reaction that kept happening at work ... and I didn't get paid because I couldn't "prove" the allergy was THERE... well I would leave early because my eyes would start swelling shut... finally the boss had the ducts sprayed down and cleaned and NEVER broke out again - but still NEVER paid for days I missed because it only affected me and I couldn't prove it was there... (oh this was for about two months... )
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I got fired from my last job for calling in sick. They were Scientologists though, so it wasn't unexpected that I would eventually be fired for something.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yes.

How sick do I have to be to call in? Unable to get out of bed.
    OR "I cannot face the world today" OR "Wow my throat is so SWOLL!! I'm probably going to get more sick if I sit at my desk all day..."

We only get like 4 sick days a year though. New employees don't get sick days at all! (I've been here for yearrrrsss)
    People are always sock and infecting eachother because we can't miss work. It sucks. I keep a bowl of EmergenC at my desk for myself and others!

With something very contageous like pink eye, I'd think HR would send that person home.
    Perhaps they don't know how bad it is.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you have sick days, you better be using them when you are sick.
    It is just plain rude, to come in and infect people, if you have the option to stay home.

If you don't have sick days...... That is completely understandable... (Or if you have kids like another poster.....)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I got fired from my last job for calling in sick. They were Scientologists though, so it wasn't unexpected that I would eventually be fired for something.

LOL @ Scientology. Sorry about your job tho. That sucks.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options

LOL @ Scientology. Sorry about your job tho. That sucks.
    It's ok! I would never have taken the job if I'd known at the interview. On one hand being fired was a blow to the ego, but on the other, they were Scientologists, you know? Like they have any idea which way is up.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    In my firm, people usually work when they're sick. Sometimes they work from home; others they work in office. When they're in office, they announce it and then everyone (including the sick person) takes care not to interact too much, to use hand sanitizer, utilize intercom and e-mail over face to face discussion, etc.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    When I left school, I joined the British Civil Service, and we were allowed a certain amount of sick days per year and everyone treated them like additional holiday entitlement. I believe this has changed now.

It really has (at least in Scotland). I struggle to use my holiday entitlement so if I'm off sick it's because I'm too ill or too infectious to go to work.

ETA: I've had to be on long-term sick leave before (four months with post-viral fatigue) so I really appreciate having up to 6 months fully paid sick leave and 6 months 50% paid sick leave in any three year period, but I would NEVER abuse that.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Ack! Now my eyes are itchy.

I'd be irritated too. And considering the generous sick leave, there is no reason for her to be there.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I go to work sick.

I'd rather save my sick days for days when it seems like a much better idea to stay home and have a few beers.

My mental health is just as important.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately these days I do go to work sick because I have no leave...used it all for cancer treatments and then maternity...I'm negative on my sick leave balance for the next two years :(. I also have my own office so I don't really spread germs anyway :)
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of illness I have - I come into direct contact with food. If I have allergies/a cold or something minor I'll go in and just be extra vigilant about handwashing, but if I have a stomach virus I typically don't go into work.