Acne- What foods to cut

Options
What foods should you cut out of your diet to get rid of acne/clear it up

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    According to this article from NPR, which just came out a couple of days ago, maybe try cutting out some empty carbs and see how your skin reacts?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/19/172429086/diet-and-acne-for-a-clearer-complexion-cut-the-empty-carbs
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    drink TONS of water
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    have you seen a dermatologist?
    There's different kinds of acne, and depending on what type, it may or may not respond to dietary changes.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Go see a good esthetician (I am one...). There isn't really anything to cut out, unless you have an allergy and sometimes that comes out as acne. Dairy is sometimes linked.

But I always tell my clients, the healthier you are on the inside, the healthier you will look on the outside. Eat right, exercise, drink alot of water and get rest. (and get a good skin care system).

Good luck!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Look up the nutritionist named Chris Kresser--he has at least one great article and a podcast episode about treating acne naturally. He strongly believes acne to be a manifestation of troubles with the gut, so treats it that way, and apparently with great success.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    my teenager daughter has acne problems and suggested her to stop dairy products for couple months... after roughly one month she told me she has seen some improvements...
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Some studies indicate that dairy could be related to acne, but it's not really conclusive. I'd take a look at as many factors as possible, such as family history, skin care routine, stress, etc. before jumping to cutting out foods.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There's different kinds of acne, and depending on what type, it may or may not respond to dietary changes.

I agree! I tried everything to clear up my acne- topical medications, different types of face washes, oral medications, dietary changes....the works! And it was soooo frustrating! But then my dermo decided to see how birth control worked and it was MAGIC! There are SOOO many different types of acne and so many causes. You really need to examine what things seem to trigger it or when it's happening. And professional help is definitely recommended. Also, they've kind of proven more or less that diet doesn't really have a lot of impact on acne. The medical community goes back and forth with it, but in general it's not thought to be a cause of acne.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    for me and my best friend, when we switched to organic dairy and cut down on dairy in general, our skin got a LOT better. i suspect it was the added hormones to regular dairy (antibiotics, growth hormone, etc)

i used to have 3-4 cystic acne spots along my chin, pretty much any time of the month. when i switched to organic, i no longer get cystic acne, just small ones which go away in a day or two.

i cannot tell you how much easier my life has been since i don't have to do the "cover up this zit, take advil to reduce swelling, don't touch face, try not to let it affect self-confidence" dance. i wear less makeup, am happier!

i was so happy to go back to my doctor to show her no, i didn't need pills, i needed a diet overhaul. i hate taking pills to fix a problem when you don't even know what the problem is. less crap in my body, thanks!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Look up the nutritionist named Chris Kresser--he has at least one great article and a podcast episode about treating acne naturally. He strongly believes acne to be a manifestation of troubles with the gut, so treats it that way, and apparently with great success.

this, this and more this.
  • ModoVincere
    Options

I agree! I tried everything to clear up my acne- topical medications, different types of face washes, oral medications, dietary changes....the works! And it was soooo frustrating! But then my dermo decided to see how birth control worked and it was MAGIC! There are SOOO many different types of acne and so many causes. You really need to examine what things seem to trigger it or when it's happening. And professional help is definitely recommended. Also, they've kind of proven more or less that diet doesn't really have a lot of impact on acne. The medical community goes back and forth with it, but in general it's not thought to be a cause of acne.

correct....my daughter is just finishing up a 6 month treatment of accutane. It's the only thing that has worked.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

correct....my daughter is just finishing up a 6 month treatment of accutane. It's the only thing that has worked.

cept that stuff is crazy dangerous
  • ModoVincere
    Options

yes, it is. That's why there's doctors involved.
    blood tests, pregnancy tests, online certifications, etc.
  • teambaker
    teambaker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cut dairy and drink a lot of water. Just remember to add a lot of vegetables containing calcium. Also see a dermatologist, you might just need a different type of cleanser.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    [correct....my daughter is just finishing up a 6 month treatment of accutane. It's the only thing that has worked.

yes, it is. That's why there's doctors involved.
    blood tests, pregnancy tests, online certifications, etc.

Seriously. I was about to start accutane before my dermo decided to wait and see if birth control helped. There were so many forms I had to fill out and the testing involved! Plus all of the whole depression and suicide stuff. I'm glad it's worked out for your daughter. It sucks when the extreme is the only way of fixing the problem. Bad acne is definitely one of the most frustrating and self-esteem ruining issues to have. I used to spend HOURS every day looking up information online trying to figure out what was going on.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This. I've had varying causes of acne (and, at one point, a skin reaction that appeared to be acne and wasn't). Turned out all to be hormonal; going on BC has done wonders for me. I also suggest, topically, to try LOW % Benzoyl Peroxide instead of the high stuff; "more" does not necessarily mean better for acne, due to the overdrying quality. Find a 4% or lower, wash, moisturize--boom, should hopefully help, too.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I went to the dermatologist yesterday for the same reason (I'm 40 with acne like it was in high school :noway: !). I had changed my eating habits and the whole nine and nothing was working. So, I broke down and went to the Dr's and ending up getting a prescription. So yeah, you may want to check it out with a Dr., it could be something totally unrelated.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There is no one size fits all for acne, so you may trying cutting out various foods, and maybe something will work, maybe it won't. I've had horrible acne since I hit puberty (two rounds of accutane, which got it down from severe to moderate, tried a few different kinds of oral contraception, every over the counter and perscription lotion and potion, dietary changes, etc). Mostly mine is stress induced. The only things I've found that help are being super diligent about skin care and Perfect Skin by Genuine Health. The supplement doesn't work for everyone, but it's a magic in a bottle for me. It's mostly fish oil, with a few other things in it.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was told diet has nothing to do with getting acne.