• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    t's between 25-40K a year in NYC.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'M JUST SAYING.

The public school system in SWEDEN is very well made. We get free lunch (good food as well), lots of teachers, more help if you need it, activities after school... all for free. Private schools hardly exist, and the ones that do are way weird.

We also get health and dental care for free. Just putting that out there ;)

Sorry for getting off topic lol
    yeah, you guy's tax structure is FAR different than here. We could get this thread axed quickly by squabling over which is better.

Honestly, there's such a drastic difference, you can't compare... I'm not ignoring her posts, it just doesn't apply at all to my Wisconsin life *LOL* And sadly, I can't move to Sweden! :grumble:

Of course you can, we're not giving birth to enough kids so we need immigrants to fill out jobs lol

Yeah but yeah, we pay 33% of our salary every month in taxes. More if you earn more than a certain amount. The rich people pay like 60% lol
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

you could by a HOUSE in some areas here for that...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    My friends send their children to Jewish Private Schools in Marin and Calabasas(both in California) where they pay :

K-2 $23,800
    Grades 3-5 $24,060
    Grade 6-7 $24,780
    Grade 8 $25,820

... and the ones with older children in high school are paying more.
  • AmandaPandah
    Options

you could by a HOUSE in some areas here for that...

take from the rich! give to the poor!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'M JUST SAYING.

The public school system in SWEDEN is very well made. We get free lunch (good food as well), lots of teachers, more help if you need it, activities after school... all for free. Private schools hardly exist, and the ones that do are way weird.

yeah, you guy's tax structure is FAR different than here. We could get this thread axed quickly by squabling over which is better.

Honestly, there's such a drastic difference, you can't compare... I'm not ignoring her posts, it just doesn't apply at all to my Wisconsin life *LOL* And sadly, I can't move to Sweden! :grumble:

Of course you can, we're not giving birth to enough kids so we need immigrants to fill out jobs lol

Yeah but yeah, we pay 33% of our salary every month in taxes. More if you earn more than a certain amount. The rich people pay like 60% lol

I also pay 30% in taxes :grumble:
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I can now definitively say I will NEVER move to NY or CA! Wow!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My boys go to a Catholic school in smalltown MN - Grade 4 (elementary) and Grade 6 (Middle School)

$5450 per year for both (BUT we get a parishioners break of $1200 per year)

so total if you dont belong to the church is $6650
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Alabama 1st grade $288 a month
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can now definitively say I will NEVER move to NY or CA! Wow!

NO DOUBT thank goodness for the MW for a few things!!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

yeah, but you're rich here...

i don't pay quite that much, but we don't have state income tax here in TX. Our property taxes suck, but our son will be in a nice public school district.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My friends send their kids to a private school in Utah County, UT. It's around $7k a year through sixth grade and then $8k and up through 12th grade.
  • AmandaPandah
    Options
    I'M JUST SAYING.

ha! :laugh:
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't remember what it cost when both of my kids were in a private preschool/kindergarten, but when my daughter was in full day kindergarten it was over $800/month. I had moved her to a preschool that was $500/month, but my ex insisted on putting her back in the expensive school for kindergarten so he paid the whole bill. We're in Utah.
  • odusgolp
    Options

yeah, but you're rich here...

i don't pay quite that much, but we don't have state income tax here in TX. Our property taxes suck, but our son will be in a nice public school district.

You don't have state income tax? dang... I was born in the wrong state *LOL*

There is honestly a couple GREAT public districts west of me. I moved there, but at the end of the day it didn't make sense. Hour commute to work. Meaning $500 in gas/month minimum, two hours lost from my day and my time with my son, AND an hour away from him if there was an emergency... or a fun class party, or violin lessons, or whatever... :bigsmile:

So, moved to my crappy city and went private.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My boys go to a Catholic school in smalltown MN - Grade 4 (elementary) and Grade 6 (Middle School)

$5450 per year for both (BUT we get a parishioners break of $1200 per year)

so total if you dont belong to the church is $6650

That's not too bad for the both of them! Pretty similar to mine.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I only pay $200/month for kindergarten at a tiny Christian school. There are about 50 students and they follow the Abeka program, which is also used for home schooling. Because tuition is low, parents bring in a lot of snacks and supplies and we have to do fund raisers. I'm a crappy fund raiser, so I usually just write another check (yes, I'm THAT parent).

My ex and I split the tuition and the extra $400 that I spend on a babysitter monthly because I have a dumb work schedule. The babysitter brings her home, takes her to activities, etc. She is one cool chick.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We are in SC. My son is in 8th grade, in his 2nd year at a private school. It costs about $13K/year.

Our town has some excellent schools, both public and private. My son actually attended a nationally top-ranked grade school that was only a few blocks from our home. He has Aspgerger Syndrome and had a LOT of hands-on in his school, which helped him make a lot of progress during his years there. However, my husband and I both attended the public middle school in our district and knew it would have been very easy for our son to get "lost" despite IEP, etc. Socially I think it would have been very bad as well.

My mother-in-law approached us during his 6th grade year with the offer to send him to the private school. We are very fortunate to have someone who can afford the tuition who is also very generous in this way. Our son was resistant to the idea for a day or two, but it has been a wonderful experience for him in every way. If there was ever a reason my mother-in-law could no longer provide this for us, we would definitely do whatever we could to keep him at this school through graduation.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Private high schools and elementary/middle schools here range from 10k to 40k. Universities 50k. My parents paid most. I paid the last two years of university myself. Most of the public k-12 schools here are beyond terrible. Even middle income families are somehow paying 15-25k per child to attend private schools. It's beyond ridiculous.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    We sent both our kids to private school all the way through middle school. High school they went public. Tuition for each was about 15k. We're in Virginia.