Hurt Ankle - Should I keep doing the 30 DS?

Options
I hurt my ankle a few days ago - honestly I don't remember doing anything specific that caused it but I've had some pain and swelling for about 4 or 5 days and it was probably while I was doing the 30 Day Shred video. I've been continuing to do the workouts every day (today will be Day 20) and just work through the pain. I really don't want to stop the momentum I have started with the videos but the pain isn't going away and I also don't want to injure the ankle further. ACK! I dont' know if I should skip a day or two and just rest it or if I should just keep pushing through...

Would love to hear your thoughts - especially if there are any personal trainers or fitness gurus reading this that know more about what to do in this situation than I do!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    heal first. No workout is worth damaging yourself.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I say heal first but you know your body better then anyone else.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    heal first. No workout is worth damaging yourself.

Agreed. Taking a day or two isn't going to hurt your progress. Consider adding something with less impact in the meantime.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hurt my ankle working out a couple months ago. It would throb and ache even when weight wasn't put on it. I went to doctor and they put me in a boot, and after like only 3 days it felt completely better. Especially if there's swelling, I'd take a few days rest, then test it out again.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Nah. Take some time off.

I can understand your reluctance. I awoke with a sore knee a couple of days ago from the way my dog was lying on it while I slept. I was on day 22 of the Shred, and hadn't missed a day yet, but I chose to take 2 days off so it would heal.

Good luck!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'd rest it, but I'd also try to modify the 30 day shred enough so I could continue. For instance, instead of jumping jacks, jump rope and butt-kicks, can you just do the punches? Everything else is a lift, an ab workout, or pushups, right? (It's been a while so I apologize if I've forgotten something, but you get my drift). In short, I'd try to rest the injuries...but not necessarily feel like I had to rest my whole body.

Back in 2007, I suffered a complete tear of my Achilles. Obviously, I couldn't run anymore...but I still had ways to exercise and burn calories. :)

Whatever you do, good luck to you! :)
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    NO. If there's one thing I learned, it's not to push your body because it can lead to reoccuring injuries/new ones which can put you out longer than you initially would have been.
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you really think keeping on doing an intense workout is going to help your ankle?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 of PT for an ankle injury and my therapist says taht ankles are among the worst for reinjury if you try to ignore it and "work through the pain." On the other hand, keeping it active is part of the PT-- so keep your flexibility and movement, but avoid impact.
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone - really appreciate your feedback! I like the the idea of continuing but modifying some of the moves... might try that.

I know logically that I should rest the ankle, I guess I've just made it a hard decision because I have been doing so well with these videos. It's taken me a long time to get into a consistent routine that works for my life so interuppting it is really frustrating for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Rest.

I endorse this advice.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm not a persona trainer or fitness guru but I've been doing this a long time and lay off that ankle. You will end up doing more damage and possibly put yourself out of commission for a longer period of time than if you just rest it now!
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to the others that have posted - I think I just needed "permission" to take it easy. I"m stubborn. lol
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd rest it, but I'd also try to modify the 30 day shred enough so I could continue. For instance, instead of jumping jacks, jump rope and butt-kicks, can you just do the punches? Everything else is a lift, an ab workout, or pushups, right? (It's been a while so I apologize if I've forgotten something, but you get my drift). In short, I'd try to rest the injuries...but not necessarily feel like I had to rest my whole body.

Back in 2007, I suffered a complete tear of my Achilles. Obviously, I couldn't run anymore...but I still had ways to exercise and burn calories. :)

Whatever you do, good luck to you! :)

^this. that is what i have been doing.