Side Effects of Yoga

Options
Happy Friday all!

I just started practicing yoga a couple of weeks ago and I'm now totally in love! I have that it compliments my lifting routine which is StrongLifts wonderfully! I have a few different DVD's....some are much slower and relaxing and a couple are more of a workout, which is great for the rotation.

Here is what I would like to know.....what changes have you noticed in your body and/or attitude that could be attributed to yoga? I really didn't have much expectation from it except to help with flexibility, but now my whole view has changed and I could see regular practice as something that could really help get rid of some inches!

Tell me your success stories and what I have to look forward to!

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I found that after two weeks of doing it every night at home that I slept awesome, it helped me with my post partum depression (I just felt happier and more patient), I had more energy and motivation, and I also noticed a bit of a difference in my upper body strength. Also not sure if this was in my head or not or if it was the practice from controlling my breathing or something but that I had a way easier time doing my cardio workouts...
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Oh - goodness - there are so many. I'll offer this one - it seems to be commonly accepted that a strong core is something to do with visible six pack, but Yoga will show you that you can suck your abdomen right up toward the inner side of your spine and really tone the abdominl section and give your organs a real good squeezing out of toxins and replace with oxygenating blood. You feel great afterwards.

Yoga helps to create that sucked in mid section and broad shoulder line and develop a fine muscular physique that is neither skinny or bulky.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @auzzie....yes, I can totally see how it would help with patience and motivation. One thing I was very surprised about was how much I could feel the practice in my arms, shoulders, and upper back especially considering that I lift heavy stuff repeatedly! I think that was one of the biggest eye openers to me!

@C4RL05...I was hoping you would reply as I have seen many posts by you in many different threads all over the forums in regards to yoga. I also didn't anticipate how much my core would get worked and as I sit here now I'm feeling every single muscle in my mid-section as a result of the video I did this morning...which makes me super happy (although I'm wondering if they will be screaming at me tomorrow morning as I'm trying to squat 150lb :laugh: )
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    They'll be screaming alright! but in the long term a sound core will help you in your squats. Welcome to Yoga!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My aunt has been doing yoga for a couple weeks and she absolutely loves it. I will have to get on this bandwagon.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    side effects of yoga include wearing yoga clothes everywhere, and saying "namaste" instead of thank you.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It has really helped with my lower back pain.
    Helps with balance and posture.
    This last week I also did an assisted hand stand :drinker:
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You will notice increased strength and much improvement in balance not to mention the fun of doing a 3 point head stand.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga 3-6 times per week for 2.5 years now and LOVE it...to the point that I am going to start teacher training in September. Mentally, I am happier, less anxious and was able to wean off of anti-depressants! I'll change my profile picture in a second to show you my arms, because I am really happy with them, and they got this way solely from yoga :drinker: I am also a dancer, but it is Irish Dance, and it only focuses on the bottom half of your body (moving your arms is a huge no-no). But, I have to say, I can jump higher than ever...and I am 44, so pretty good!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm new to yoga so I don't have much. What I can say is that it takes my mind off of dailey streses while I'm there. I also fell rested at the end of a session, even the tougher ones. The best part is that it is an activity my wife and I can do together.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    side effects of yoga include wearing yoga clothes everywhere, and saying "namaste" instead of thank you.
    Only if you live in Los Angeles :wink: :laugh:
  • Katia_B
    Options
    I love this thread! I practiced yoga regularly for years several years ago, and I literally just scheduled some classes to return to the mat in the coming weeks.

In the past, the benefits for me have included less stress over the "little" things, thinner calves (my leg muscles are pretty hefty, and my calves get really thick... when I practice yoga the stretching really lengthens my leg muscles), more toned arms, more pronounced collar bone, and (shockingly) reduced cellulite. I attribute the reduced cellulite to the breathing and "activating" the lymphatic fluid.

Keep it up! The overall feeling of wellness is my favorite part :happy:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    This is so wonderful! Thank you for all of the responses!

I have no intention of quitting anytime soon because I have already noticed so many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread :happy:

I also love that I am always motivated to do it! I feel like my combination of lifting and yoga with a sprinkling of light cardio is my perfect mix and that makes me SO happy!!!!

@OmShaktiOm.....your arms are from yoga alone??!!!! That is awesome....you look great :happy:
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Im a very new beginner but I am so in love with it!!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Flexible body even years after you quit. I did Yoga for almost my entire childhood and adolescence. I became less regular about 10 years ago. Its about the same time I started adding weight. But even at my heaviest I could still bend over and touch my toes.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I think I've been able to up my squats. OHP, and bench because of yoga...my core is so much stronger. As you know from my mind-vomits on the SL board, that I love it so much. I feel better after tough lifting sessions, and I think my squats are better because I'm able to get *kitten* to grass.

Also, I "teach" yoga during our Enrichment classes on Wednesday mornings, and I love going into chaturanga during class and holding it...whilst the boys in my class (that didn't want to be in the class in the first place) try it and DIE.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I was doing it. (I only stopped because I couldn't afford it anymore.) I didn't notice much change in the LOOK of my body, but that's not why I was doing it anyway. I did get more flexible and found that yoga was very soothing and stress relieving. The classes also felt like a very quiet, relaxed social bonding time - like we were all interacting in a way, but instead of using words to communicate, it was just a general positive atttitude / friendly atmosphere kind of thing going on. :flowerforyou:
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Could someone recommend some good yoga DVDs?
  • 2012ALM
    2012ALM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Could someone recommend some good yoga DVDs?

I second this question, I have tried a couple of DVDs that I did not care for and would like something for a beginner.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking about doing yoga. I watched a video a while back about a guy that was overweight and was crutch bound and he started out with yoga and lost tons of weight and can now run and looks amazing! I just need to find some good videos for it and start doing it when my son takes his nap during the day.

Woot found the video!! ---> http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448