Barre workouts

Options
I love barre workouts and have been doing one called Cardio Barre once a week for about 6 months now. I have had really good results (I have lost 3 inches from each thigh so far) and it is challenging but fun. The only problem is I don't know how many calories it burns. Does anyone know? Does anyone else do these workouts? If so, what do you think of them?

Replies

• andreaz81
    andreaz81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i would suggest physique 57 or leah sarrago DVDs, look up on amazon
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    According to both their website and livestrong, 500-600 per hour. I would go with the lower number.
  • fly4acareer
    fly4acareer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    can anyone briefly describe what barre workouts are? I'm up to try something new...never heard of it...guess I could youtube or google it too haha.
  • concordancia
    Options
    can anyone briefly describe what barre workouts are? I'm up to try something new...never heard of it...guess I could youtube or google it too haha.

Ballet inspired movements, mostly at a barre (the railing bailarinas lean on to stretch).
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Barre class is very popular at my gym, I'm glad you found something that you enjoy. I think 500-600 calories is on the high side, I burn about 500 when I take an intense cardio class. I would bet it is closer to 300-400, with 400 being generous. Keep up the great work!
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do Barre 3 and MFP estimates that at 421 calories for 60 minutes for me. It sounds similar - but not sure if yours is more cardio intense?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I take a ballet class every Friday. A combination of barre exercise (ballet techniques), plus floor workout and dance combinations and the database give me 222 calories, for 60 minutes at my body weight (under ballet dancing).

I saw one of the you tube videos for the barre workouts and I think that they are great. I wish I could do something like that at home.
  • concordancia
    Options
    I take a ballet class every Friday. A combination of barre exercise (ballet techniques), plus floor workout and dance combinations and the database give me 222 calories, for 60 minutes at my body weight (under ballet dancing).

I saw one of the you tube videos for the barre workouts and I think that they are great. I wish I could do something like that at home.

A lot of them can be adapted to a counter or the back of a chair.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Yes, you are correct. Maybe my kitchen counter can double for a barre. I shall try!
  • concordancia
    Options

Yes, you are correct. Maybe my kitchen counter can double for a barre. I shall try!

The one I just found had press ups - the chair didn't work so well. I ended up looking up a belly dance lesson; I already worked out today.