Why do MFP Calorie Calculations Not Add Up?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Because something is free, I can't voice an opinion over how it can (quite easily) be made a bit better? I am either with them or against them, right? ;)

MFP IS a free site. Beggars can't be choosy. I don't expect it to be 100% accurate. Just stay within a range and it all works out anyway. I have tried some of the other weight loss/exercise web sites and MFP is by far the best.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You voiced your opinion and we voiced ours, is that somehow unfair?

The database is huge, and the overwhelming majority of entries are accurate. Some are way off, but a little bit of eyeballing and you'll recognize them right away. They are obviously off by a lot or the macros don't add up. I use mfp exclusively for my food abs exercise logging and have had no issues at all losing the weight I wanted to lose.

Our point to you is that mfp is not perfect, but it's one of the best tools available, it works, and it's free. Take that however you wish.

Edited to add: in the scenario you're complaining about, the cals were correct but the macros were short. In other words, you are at your correct calorie goal to lose weight. No harm was done.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you really want to analyze it then check each of your entries and see which ones don't add up. I know some cereals don't count fiber in their calories but do count it in the carb grams, Fiber One is an example.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fair points.

The database is huge, and the overwhelming majority of entries are accurate. Some are way off, but a little bit of eyeballing and you'll recognize them right away. They are obviously off by a lot or the macros don't add up. I use mfp exclusively for my food abs exercise logging and have had no issues at all losing the weight I wanted to lose.

Our point to you is that mfp is not perfect, but it's one of the best tools available, it works, and it's free. Take that however you wish.

Edited to add: in the scenario you're complaining about, the cals were correct but the macros were short. In other words, you are at your correct calorie goal to lose weight. No harm was done.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I disagree with your statement about the overwhelming majority of entries being accurate. There have been many times I've gone through 9 or 10 entries before I found one that was accurate, and probably a couple dozen times when I didn't find a single entry that was complete and correct. When that's the case, I correct one that's close (if present), or add one that's complete and accurate.

In the numerous instances when I've seen the discrepancies in my friends' food diaries, I have no way of knowing if it's the calories or macros that are correct, or a mix of the two being off. If it's a very significant difference, or seems to suggest a large overstatement of protein intake, I bring it to their attention.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    60percent.jpg