Favorite Meals to Make Ahead and Freeze?

Options
So I'm starting a full-time job on Monday after being spoiled forever working part-time and being able to cook dinner every night. Now that time is going to be an issue, I don't want to sacrifice my family's healthy, homemade meals. What are your favorite meals to cook ahead and stick in the freezer?? Besides hearty soups and chili, which is all I could think of!

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Found this for you, tells you how to freeze to get it to taste right,etc .. http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/806062/makeahead-meals-to-fix-and-freeze
    You can also google or yahoo search recipes. Got a lot of results when I typed in "homemade meals to freeze" like this: http://happymoneysaver.com/making-50-freezer-meals-in-one-day/

1. FREEZE SMART
    Separate appetizers, meatballs, cookies, or candy on a baking sheet, freeze solid, then transfer them to a container. Separate layers with parchment paper
    to prevent them from clumping together.

2. BAG BROTHS AND SAUCES
    Freeze liquids flat in plastic bags, then stand them up sideways for storage. They'll take up less space and thaw faster.

3. COOL FOODS BEFORE FREEZING
    Cooling food first speeds up the freezing process and reduces condensation. The faster food freezes, the fresher it tastes when thawed. Cool initially on the counter then immediately refrigerate to hasten cooling. When completely cool, place in the freezer, properly wrapped.

4. COOK WHEN YOU CAN
    Spend a Sunday afternoon cooking, and freeze enough meals to eat all week. Freeze food in individual or meal-size portions – it will thaw quicker and you can pop out the number of servings you need.

5. PACK FOOD TIGHTLY
    Squeeze excess air out of bags to prevent freezer burn. Fill containers full, leaving a little space at the top to prevent liquids from expanding and sticking to the lid.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Sauce
    Meatloaf (Make them up in foil containers you can throw in the oven-easy clean up too!)
    Enchiliadas (again in foil containers)
    Make a whole turkey on your day off and freeze in meal size portions. Just reheat and add a side dish.

That's all I can think of right now :)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Here's a slightly older thread on the topic that might give you some ideas, too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874801-freezer
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Two words. Crock Pot.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Two words. Crock Pot.

I do love my crock pot! However, I get to work at 7:00 and don't get home until almost 5, and my crock pot doesn't have a timer. So when I have a long work day, I get home and my food is kind of mushy and burnt :sad:

I may invest in a higher-end crock pot in the near future, though. I think it would be worth it!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have made various soups, chili, spaghetti sauce to freeze. I have also made meat loaf, usually double or triple the batch, make one and freeze the others for another time. Many casseroles will freeze well along with things like lasagna or manicotti. I try to take one day and do a lot of cooking to stock up my freezer about once a month or so. You can also put together the ingredients for a meal that goes in the crock pot and freeze that. Then just take the stuff out of the freezer, pop it into your crock pot and you are set for the day. If you make a large piece of meat, a turkey or large roast, you can freeze part of the left overs to use in future meals as well. If you go on the internet you can find many sites that have freeze ahead meals as well.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Get the higher end programable crock pot. I cook dinner pretty much everynight for one month, food saver the left overs, and eat the left overs for lunch/dinner the following month. Add in plenty of veggies and it works out lovely. On the weekends I cook all my breakfast for the week and food saver them in individual servings (either eggs or oatmeal that I cooked in the crock pot). It makes life easy, and I know exactly what I'm eating.
  • MeleriD
    MeleriD Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can buy wall plugs with timers on them. May save you having to buy a new crock pot. Just a though!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I never thought about meat loaf! This may be a dumb question, but, with things like meatloaf/turkey, how do you reheat the frozen portions? Would you microwave them or put them in the oven? Or would either one work fine? I know with soups and sauces I would just put them in a pot and heat them up on the stove.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I never thought about meat loaf! This may be a dumb question, but, with things like meatloaf/turkey, how do you reheat the frozen portions? Would you microwave them or put them in the oven? Or would either one work fine? I know with soups and sauces I would just put them in a pot and heat them up on the stove.

Personally when I do things like meatloaf I don't cook it before I freeze it therefore I have to bake it in the oven on the night we eat it. If you cook it before freezing than you can nuke your dinner portions. Whatever works best for you.
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

"Thanks for all the replies! I never thought about meat loaf! This may be a dumb question, but, with things like meatloaf/turkey, how do you reheat the frozen portions? Would you microwave them or put them in the oven? Or would either one work fine? I know with soups and sauces I would just put them in a pot and heat them up on the stove. "

You're welcome! I do not know about what should be or not be pre-cooked or how... but no such thing as a dumb question :)
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I like doing stir fry to freeze... Also, crock pot meals are the best to come home to! Congrats on your new full time job! :smile:
  • mieko101
    Options
    Japanese Curry is my favorite! It takes a little dedication to make, but it comes in big batches. So I refrigerate enough for at least 2-3 meals and then I freeze the rest <3 If you'd like the recipe I can post it for you; It's amazing.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Japanese Curry is my favorite! It takes a little dedication to make, but it comes in big batches. So I refrigerate enough for at least 2-3 meals and then I freeze the rest <3 If you'd like the recipe I can post it for you; It's amazing.

I'd be interested in seeing your recipe, if you could post it!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour brownies. Coconut ice cream.
    Bananas.
    Chilli meat and potatoes.
    Meat and rice.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I'd be interested in seeing your recipe, if you could post it!

I would definitely be interested in seeing your recipe! I love Asian food, especially curry-based dishes and Japanese cuisine. Thank you!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I like doing stir fry to freeze... Also, crock pot meals are the best to come home to! Congrats on your new full time job! :smile:

Thank you!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Last week i made 20 breakfast wraps and it was probably the best idea of my life.

I took 20 tortillas, 20 eggs (scrambled with milk, and added sauteed peppers), 20 pieces of bacon and a big pile of shredded cheddar cheese... and made a ton of breakfast wraps. Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap and threw them in the fridge.

They heat up in the microwave in 3 minutes, and taste perfectly fresh. It's cut down my morning breakfast time by like 20 minutes... it's great!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Southwest wraps, very simple meal. Burrito size tortillas. Shredded chicken, a cup or two of your favorite salsa (my local produce stand sells some awesome fresh salsa), a can of refried beans, and a little bit of cheese (I use 2% milk cheese from Safeway). You can freeze the filling or the whole meal. Bake in the oven for half an hour at 350.

This site has some good info on freezer cooking. I found the southwest wraps here.
    http://moneysavingmom.com/downloads/freezer-cooking-planners