Over 100 To Lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! 177 lbs!!! That is totally amazing!!!!! My question to you is .. How did you do it ??? That is remarkable. CONGRATS!!! I find most interest to me is ... what type of food did they find that hindered them the most while trying to lose weight, and what is the biggest change that they have made to become healthier, and happier!! :)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy! Ah yes, the question everyone want the answer to -- How did you do it? In my case, I totally and radically changed my eating habits, overnight, cold turkey, and never looked back. I did this because of a serious medical problem, which shocked me into action. So, I would have to say that step one is to find a MAJOR motivation! Because changing the kind of lifetime habits that lead to being two hundred pounds overweight is no easy thing to do. You have to REALLY want it! You have to want it enough to break free of the lifelong addictions to sugars and fats. I tossed all the sugar and processed food and junk food, and never got any more. I switched to whole, organic foods, heavy on the vegetables. The food that hindered me most in the past was definitely SUGAR! Once the refined sugar was out of my system, I felt a lot better, other things started tasting better, hunger was under control, and cravings were greatly reduced, nearly eliminated!

You also asked what is the biggest change I made. I changed EVERYTHING. My entire diet totally changed. Getting off of sugar was a big one!

Mandy, I see that you have also lost significant weight. Would you mind answering some of these questions, too, to get another person's perspective on it?
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    good thoughts here. I read a lot of posts from others talking about the bmr, whether to eat back calories, and a bunch of other things I don't know anything about. I too just try to do something different, watch portion control, stay between 1200-1500 cal/day and make sure I am getting enough protein and water. Beyond that I feel it's a bunch of mumo-jumbo to get caught up in. And I totally agree with you about the sugar. Once I stopped eating processed foods and refined sugars, my cravings went away. I know this to be factual because on the rare occasion I have indulged, the cravings come back with a vengeance, and I have to work really hard to get back on track, It's so not worth it in the end to indulge!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Most definitely about plateaus....they suck...big time :happy: Also, my best advice to people is always that sure, dieting and exercise and whatever you do to lose weight is great..but if your head is not in the right place, you will not be successful in the long term. We are all overweight for a reason...we have to deal with that reason and come to learn a new and healthier relationship with food. It isnt a diet, its a change in your way of living.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    We are all overweight for a reason...we have to deal with that reason and come to learn a new and healthier relationship with food. It isnt a diet, its a change in your way of living.

I totally agree with this. I think it's a big part of why I've gained weight after all my dieting attempts.

But to be honest, I have absolutely no idea why I let myself reach a bloated 250 pounds. If I knew what was broken, I'd see about getting it fixed. It's not like I had an abusive or neglectful childhood. I wish there was a scan that doctors could do and say, "Aha! You are fat because your parents refused to buy you a monkey for your birthday," or "I see. You have an unhealthy relationship with food because your mom used to give you a chocolate bar when you had to stay home with a fever." Hmmm...come to think of it, maybe that last one actually is the culprit -- too much love from my mother! ;-)