Take out sodium!

Going over my food diary for today and I noticed that I was way over on my sodium. I cut it out pretty consistently because I retained water so bad during my pregnancies. Anyway, my husband brought home Pizza Hut for himself and our kids and I had three (just three!) breadsticks, and that's what did it.. No pizza, no cheese on it or weirdo meat, just breadsticks and it was over 1,200 sodium. What gives? Why are processed foods so laden with salt? Preservative property I guess?

Replies

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Because the "general population" tastebuds have been trained that salt and sugar are "tasty".
  • Yeah it really sucks that all of the food companies caught on to the fact that everyone wants "low fat" so instead they pump their processed foods full of salt to make them taste better. I had pizza the other day and was 1700 over my sodium level, so lucky you only had the breadsticks. Ohh well, as long as it isn't over too often.
  • Lavon_G
    Lavon_G Posts: 26 Member
    I'm also terrible at keeping my sodium intake below the recommended level. I don't drink a lot of water either...suppose I better start if I want to flush some of this sodium out of my system.