What are everyones feelings on Carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    WIsh I could eat them, but they jack up my blood sugar (whole wheat or white bread, no difference to my meter). Now I limit my carbs to non-starchy veggies. (And aim for 20g net carbs a day). Makes my carb cravings disappear, and my energy level is high.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    they're tasty?

This.

And that they are also brain food.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    WIsh I could eat them, but they jack up my blood sugar (whole wheat or white bread, no difference to my meter). Now I limit my carbs to non-starchy veggies. (And aim for 20g net carbs a day). Makes my carb cravings disappear, and my energy level is high.

This! My macros are set to 20% carbs/50%fat/30%protein. I have eliminated grains completely ( I also have celiac sprue and some food intolerances which make that an easier choice) and limit my fruit to small, infrequent servings of berries, melons and apples. I get my carbs from non-starchy vegetables and nuts/seeds. A1c is now in the normal range, cholesterol is now in the normal range, LDL /HDL ratio is almost in the nromal range, triglycerides are in the normal range. I've lost weight and feel great

the truth is that carbs ARE the devil for anyone with a metabolic disorder. For those individuals, a low-carb diet is NOT a fad, but something that must be adhered to for the rest of their lives.
  • savbentley
    Options
    I :heart: carbs with all my little heart. I eat lots of them, and get them from good sources.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have protein and dietary fat goals. Once I have those met, I eat the other calories in whatever form I want, and that typically happens to be carbs. I love carbs. Carbs are not evil. Carbs do not make you fat or sick or whatever else the carb haters seem to think (unless you have celiac disease or diabetes, which in that case I am not talking about them).

I do, however, try to limit added sugars, HFCS, etc. and try to get my carbs from fruits, veggies, whole grain pastas and rice, etc.

I have noticed that as long as I am in a calorie deficit, it matters not how many carbs I have, I still lose body fat consistently. There's just no need to demonize a single macro and cut it completely out of your diet.

BOOM! Perfectly succinct response! :flowerforyou:
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I feel best with moderate/average consumption (compared to the SAD, I guess). If I don't eat bready, grainy carbs, my gut freaks out. When I tried a very low carb diet, I had brain fog and headaches. I like a little carb snack at night, for sleep. When I eat way too much of the stuff, I feel sluggish & wind up just eating too much food.

So for me a good-feeling day will mean something like one piece of rye bread or the equivalent (1/2 cup cooked rice; pasta I really cannot have less than a cup) for each meal, alongside a protein and a veggie. I don't even think about carb count for veg, and rarely have more than 1 serving of fruit a day, so. I think I'm actually mildly allergic to alcohol, but it doesn't stop me drinking it. Sugar = a couple of spoonfuls in coffee.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    They are delicious. Had 200+grams of them today. Other days i have around 150.I try not to get them from weird, gross crap, but it happens sometimes.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I love (thats a great feeling) carbs and have fruit with either breakfast or morning snack, a big green salad for lunch almost every day and veggies with dinner. I'm trying to steer clear of bread, pasta and rice, but if I have one of those foods a couple of times a week I'm happy with that too. I keep my carbs around 40%, fat 30% and protein 30%.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Side note.
    We have essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, but no essential carbs. Part of the reason I try to keep my carbs to the ones that grow on trees or in nature rather than out of a packet.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on the 'good' ones: Whole grains, potatoes, brown rice, most vegetables, all fruit, legumes, bread, bagels, croissants, pancakes, tortilla chips, waffles, beans, oatmeal, flour, white rice, white bread (mmm, white bread), hummus, pasta, corn, milk, yoghurt, biscuits, ice cream, cake, donuts, muffins, pies, chocolate, popcorn, pretzels, pudding, sherbert, all sugar-laden sauces, sugar, HFCS, jam, nutella, peanut fracking butter, honey, lasagne and pizza.

And avoid the bad: Broccoli.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I don''t care as long as I am under my macro goals for carbohydrates. (I work to keep it under 45 percent of my total calories) I do try to avoid too much sugar, and reserve it for a dessert treat. I don't do sugared sodas, I am sparing with sugar in hot drinks. I also religiously log fruit to keep track of its sugars as well. This has benefits for the teeth as well as the waistline.

MFP macros on sugar are set too low, I ignore those and just pay attention to the general macro goals for carbs.
  • Cslauson86
    Cslauson86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    During the weight loss phase, I try to maintain a 3:1 ratio of protein to carbs. (while watching the calorie count).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE GREAT!
    I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,. 7 days a week, and carbs are the FUEL THAT I NEED!
    IF YOU ARE A CARB PERSON, ADD ME!