Master Cleanse - hard to start!

Options
I've decided to start with healthier foods. The last 3days, I've recorded my foods and have been keeping up judt fine with healthy whole foods. Not a huge problem since I love fruits and veggies - its the temptations I have to train mysrlf to let go of. Decided to stsrt the master ckeanse/lemonade cleanse. But that is hard!! Today I started out with the drink and salt water flush. By 3PM I hsd to eat some grilled chicken and veggies to survive shoveling 8 inches of snow! Throughout the day I slso had low fat cottage cheese and a fruit smoothie. Im down 2 lbs in 3 days but I can't train myself to drink only lemonade and salt water!! Anyone have experience and advice - are there foods I can eat during the cleansejust to feel the chewing sensation?

Replies

• HungryKoala
    Options
    I know celery is really low cal.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice. Eat less calories s, exercise a little more. Sorry but this master cleanse topic keeps resurfacing over and over on here. http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Cleanses work really well on your wallet.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No need to detox or cleanse. Your body does a great job of that on it's own.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Diets like this are hard to start because your body's smarter than the diet. It wants real food. It NEEDS real food. You can trick your mind all you want into believing that you don't need anything but a glass of pepper water, but your body knows better. And it will fight you on this. Justifiably so.

Your body, your hunger - it's not the enemy. It doesn't deserve the onslaught that these diets bring.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as an effective cleanse or detox diet. If your liver and kidneys are functioning properly you have nothing to worry about.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise. There's no need for unhealthy fads. Here, read this thread by someone who did the master cleanse:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I also get really tired of these "cleansing" threads. It's such a scam.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    no.

^this

Food is not the enemy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why the **** would you want to do that to yourself? It will make you miserable and weak. You will only lose water weight. As soon as you start to eat food, the minimal weight loss will reverse.

Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise. There is no other answer, so please, everyone, stop looking for one.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I completely support the part of your plan that incorporates healthier foods!!

From what I've read about the master cleanse, it's essentially an anorexic/starvation diet. You don't eat protein or most of the other good stuff your body needs. Then I understand you're also supposed to take laxatives. I would say don't do it unless your plan is to develop anorexia - just honest.

You have to strike a good balance between listening to your body when it tells you it needs fuel, but not absent-mindedly eating an entire bag of potato chips. In between those two is success. But the master cleanse . . . that way lies ruin and disaster. Please stay away from it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Master cleanse: hard to start, impossible to justify
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdn7wzBL2d1ri9yduo1_250.gif
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Then don't start it. Your body does not need to "cleanse". That's what you have internal organs for. Stick to your healthy eating and you will see results. Promise!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean; did MC twice, 10 days both times. It WAS hard, no doubt about it, especially the first three days.

I can't recommend it.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I bet it's easy to take a *kitten* though after you're done.

Lol it'd be a masterful *kitten*
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey there... truly, if you eat towards having a calorie deficit and do a bit of exercise you'll be on the right track. Cleanses can have the opposite effect once they end.

Your body can do all the 'cleanse' work itself. If you eat better and allow your body to concentrate of 'cleaning out' existing stuff instead of working hard to break down and deal with food that isn't good for you, the cleanse is unnecessary (and besides, eating better and letting your body take care of it is MUCH easier than suffering through a cleanse).

Take care!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have tried the "Master Cleanse" Bad deal. I started getting massive headaches...and let me tell you, NEVER trust a fart. I'm way better off now than I was trying to do that. I love myself too much not to do that to myself again.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    <crappy spam link deleted>
    I use these Greens and at about 2 weeks I have lost 3 pounds and don't have the cravings like I used to.
    It's an organic, whole food product (so... a natural detox that is gentle, healthy, natural and safe!) and keeps you regular.
    I know, kind of a gross topic but think about how babies eat and then what happens - ya change their diaper!
    To keep healthy, you gotta flush those toxins out and even better, not crave them in the first place.
    I am shocked at how moody I get when I go from eating healthy to even just eating a couple pieces of pizza!
    I did that tonight and BIG MISTAKE. I was a moody *kitten*! YIKES!
    I'll be a little more blunt and direct than now_or_never13 was:

GTFO with your constant spamming of worthless, ineffective diet scams. You've spam-bombed multiple threads with this garbage - go sell your trash to your friends (who won't stay friends when they realize you scammed them) and keep it off the MFP boards.

As for the OP - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses