Dinner with the kids..

Options
When I decided to start this journey I took a long hard look at not only my eating habits, but the eating habits of my family. At the next appt with my kids pediatrician I asked just how overweight my 7 year old daughter was. I was shocked when he said very matter of fact "30 lbs". As a mother I was flabbergasted, as a nurse I was disgusted with myself for allowing my child to become so unhealthy. I immediately called a family meeting and announced there was going to be some changes. I realized the biggest problem was portion control. My oldest is a 13 year old boy and when making their plates I would make them the same portion sizes trying to be fair. It never occurred to me that I could be doing damage. Well, I started working out and using MFP and my daughter started going to a kids gym while I'm next door at the adult gym in addition to eating healthy snacks and much smaller portions..After a few weeks I decided to take the family out to eat as a treat for doing so well. I fix my daughters plate and even gave her a small portion of dessert. After eating my meal I notice that my daughter had only eaten half of her dessert. I guess she realizes that I am smiling at her with a great sense of pride because she smiles at me and says "mom, if that was a test...I passed!" We both laughed and I gave her a high five right there in the restaurant. I guess I am doing something right..I refuse to allow my daughter to struggle with her weight the way I have. Just a mother's perspective..