Question for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K, I did it every other day. I repeated the last day of the week , on day 4 since I was still in the same week and always needed that little bit of extra help,. (also for me it was also a very slow jog...not a fast run by any means) I am the same age as you and had never been a runner either. I finished it and was able to jog the full 5K on my treadmill. I am now working on gaining some speed and incline . Now that the weather is getting better, I hope to get back out side and do it. I really think it is easier on a treadmill too.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The whole point of c25k is to let your body develop muscles, ligaments, tendons and aerobic capacity at a measured, sustainable pace. In my own case my aerobic system was better developed (from cycling) than my musculature so I could run more than my body was ready for, and I had continual issues, mostly shin splints. I kept doing too much too soon and getting sidelined so it took me months to complete c25k. I was only able to finish when I backed off and followed the program. So I would not add days until you have completed the program and built the capacity to handle more. Instead I would add cross training on other days, cycling, lifting,or whatever you enjoy and value. I love cycling and strength training is important for everyone and will help with other endeavors. Cycling uses the legs but uses different muscles so lets your running muscles rest and recover while still developing aerobic capacity, though you still need full rest days. Rest is essential for muscle growth! Good luck with whatever you do!
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    Options
    The whole point of c25k is to let your body develop muscles, ligaments, tendons and aerobic capacity at a measured, sustainable pace. In my own case my aerobic system was better developed (from cycling) than my musculature so I could run more than my body was ready for, and I had continual issues, mostly shin splints. I kept doing too much too soon and getting sidelined so it took me months to complete c25k. I was only able to finish when I backed off and followed the program. So I would not add days until you have completed the program and built the capacity to handle more. Instead I would add cross training on other days, cycling, lifting,or whatever you enjoy and value. I love cycling and strength training is important for everyone and will help with other endeavors. Good luck with whatever you do!

Absolutely this. I am the same way, sure aerobically I can run 3 miles non stop but my body needs time to catch up to the impact running takes on me. I did too much too soon and paid for it. I had to take weeks off and rest because I was in so much pain.

Take your time, allow your body to adjust, and follow the program; it was designed that way for a reason. ;)
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will follow the plan as it is meant to be. I think I will supplement the non run days with some walking and strength training. Thanks again!
  • CoachGwenna
    Options
    Strength training is an excellent off-day activity but you shouldn't push your legs too much, these are the days they need rest to repair the muscles. It's better to focus on your upper body on those days.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think one more day would be ok. I wouldn't go for 5 every week though. You need the rest. You could do a little weight lifting or strength training in between. It would help you with your running. You could also add another mile or two to your runs.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Stick with the C25K plan as is. You can over do it and get injured and the following weeks will get more challenging. But you can do cross training on the in between days - bike, elliptical, swim, etc. You should also throw in some weight lifting and/or yoga. Mix it up. You should definitely have at least one full rest day each week.