Bananas and their bad rap.

Options

Replies

• MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Awe come on! I was just taking a bite of one as i glanced over and saw this. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:
  • 1puffyheart
    Options
    I fail to understand why anyone would enter their info incorrectly and expect this site to help them in the long run. I am not sedentary nor do I expect to lose 2 pounds a week (I wish!!) but thanks for your info, I didn't know I was assigned the lowest number allowed per day. Maybe my age and height were factored in, IDK, I seem to exist on that amount and am not starving by any means. :P
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. They've never hindered my weight loss, I don't believe. That was the chocolate and chips and stuff that I have occasionally. Seriously, I've never heard someone say, "I'm so fat - all of those bananas that I ate really made me pack on the weight."
  • winny59
    Options
    I love my bananas, eat one most days. As another poster mentioned, it's not bananas that are keeping the weight on me!
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They can pry my bananas out of my cold, dead hands.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I will still be clutching them tightly even then. lol

That could get kinda gooey, couldn't it. ;)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love bananas..........but yes they have a bad name, due to the sugar contents in them

Isn't it like 13grams for one? So two, or three would be like 39 grams of sugar, that's without anything else you eat
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Because of that stupid advertisement about "5 foods never to eat"
    Yes, this is just stupid. Bananas get a bad rap by the people afraid of carbs but they are awesome!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana a day.
    In still befuddled by a comment I read on here once that you might as well eat a Snickers bar as a banana because of the carbs. Please.

Actually, that is more of a comment about the Snickers than the banana. Of all the candy bars, Snickers is actually not terrible in terms of its glycemic index because of the volume of peanuts in it. A banana, if a little under-ripe, is the same. Ripe bananas are a bit better, though. (I checked this info on livestrong.com)

The comment about Snickers I read was specifically about how bananas are a bad choice. It befuddled me because while bananas are high in carbs & natural sugar, they have fiber & various vitamins while being a low fat choice.
    While a Snickers bar might be a good GI choice compared to other candy bars, it seems silly to compare Snickers to fruit--Added sugar vs. natural sugar & the fat content alone.
  • madebywoo
    Options
    Don't forget Bananas are great for your mental health, they contain the amino acids tryptophan which help your body to produce Serotine and vitamin B6 which helps to regulate your mood.

They also contain Dopamine which also regulates moods and the ability to concentrate, and emotional ability.

Might be handy when trying to diet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I fail to understand why anyone would enter their info incorrectly and expect this site to help them in the long run. I am not sedentary nor do I expect to lose 2 pounds a week (I wish!!) but thanks for your info, I didn't know I was assigned the lowest number allowed per day. Maybe my age and height were factored in, IDK, I seem to exist on that amount and am not starving by any means. :P

I think it's because they really think they might be sedentary and of course they want to lose as quickly as possible :)

I thought I was sedentary when I joined because I'm a chronically ill housewife. Turns out I'm lightly active. I don't think it's a matter of entering it incorrectly on purpose, they just don't know better at first.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I had no idea they had a bad rap. Go figure, I had one with my oatmeal this morning.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Love them as well and eat them quite a few times through the week;)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I had no idea they had a bad rap. Go figure, I had one with my oatmeal this morning.

That actually solves part of the problem. Unlike apples and berries, bananas have very little fiber, so your body doesn't have much work to do to get the sugar into your blood stream (hence the high glycemic index). For anyone with insulin issues, and even for a lot of normal people, that can lead to hunger as the body reacts to the sugar.

The simple solution is to pair the banana with other foods. I have found that they go marvelously with pistachios - lots of extra calories, but my body is happier in the long run!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    +1 langsyne
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    *gasp* I eat bananas all the time. I don't like a lot of carbs (noodles,bread, ect) so they make up for the carbs I'm not eating due to that.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    almost positive bananas are the best fruit you can eat for anyone who does any form of exercise.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bananas, especially when eaten in the morning (banana shake, etc.) trigger sugar cravings/binges the rest of the day for me. So it's not the bananas themselves but what they do to me that's a problem. Most fructose does this to me.
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a banana every morning before I work out to give me energy. Like most other fruit bananas has antioxidants.

Here is an interesting article concerning how the nutritional value of a banana will change as is goes from being green to over ripe. Essentially the calories remain the same, but through the thermic effect our bodies will process a ripe banana as having 10 extra calories than an unripe one:

http://www.weightlossladder.com/calories-in-a-banana-ripe-vs-unripe-901/
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Grapes are the other thing I regurarly see on the ban list (even more sugar and calories than bananas) but I love them. Little cup of grapes with almonds or nuts is just so great to eat. I occasionally even add cheese, makes a perfect dinner.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Kirk Cameron's view on bananas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4
    (p.s. video link is only for people with a sense of humor about evolution/ID)