To shower or not to shower that is the question...

Options

Replies

• cnewlin86
    Options
    Maybe she got confused...you shouldnt shower for at least 2 hrs after you tan....if you use lotions when tanning

I agree!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I spend about 20 minutes doing cooldown stretching and foam rolling after my workouts. By then, I'm starting to get cold. I drink my pwo shake fast as I can and then hop in the shower. I've never heard anything about not showering after a workout! Not even from my mother, who is in her late 60s and has been going to the gym daily for the past 35 years or so.
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know in my case, I actually do have to wait at least 30 min if my heart rate was up during a workout (which if I'm doing it right it will be) or else I will pass out because my blood pressure spikes. Same as going to a tanning bed, I cannot workout after this as my blood pressure has risen due to the heat.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I never get smelly and I don't shower all that much. Don't tell anybody!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    lol I guess I'm in trouble. I take ridiculously long (15-20 minutes) super-hot showers. Often within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. I just walked 7 miles and am about to go shower. If I don't survive it, it's been nice knowing you all!

:laugh:
  • ancksunamun668
    Options
    This is a new one on me :smile: , reminds me of my old house mate who was convinced that washing your hair in hot water increases the chance of baldness. we used to hear him shrieking in the bathroom (from all that cold water presumably).

LOL thank you for sharing this - I think this was my laugh for the day... :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think it much matters overall but I DO want to add a small anecdote:

About two years ago I started 1/2 marathon training in January (outside) when I was still eating at a significant calorie deficit. I came in and hopped right in a very hot shower. I did end up passing out for about 30 seconds.

Doctor's conclusion was that all the factors combined was not the greatest but not overall very harmful. He suggested I rest for about 10 minutes with a glass of water before my showers and not make them SUPER hot even though that's my preference.

So your MIL is somewhat right- IF you are not eating to maintenence AND you do a super heavy work out IN extreme temps AND combine it with an extreme water temp, then yeah, there can be adverse effects. But the doctor's advice was just to moderate a couple of the factors- there's no need to wait 2 hours to shower. Just be sensible.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    1) If you slap her in the face with a wet fish... SHE NEEDS to take a shower ASAP!

2) What a crock of **** lol... That's like saying you should wait a minimum of 2 hours to brush your teeth after eating chicken curry, so that your breath can smell up the kitchen until your farts start to form -_-
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I never get smelly and I don't shower all that much. Don't tell anybody!

Lmfao whats your secret?
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're female, it is very bad for bacteria reasons to stay in sweaty clothes. I'm a long distance cyclist, and i always change as soon after a ride as possible and use baby wipes to freshen up. I would shower right away, but that isn't possible unless I ride on the trainer at my house.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i think you should take a shower before you leave the gym..

and change clothes too! but, make sure to put your other clothes on in the correct order! it'll raise your blood pressure!
  • MissDeAnn
    MissDeAnn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always shower after a workout and the only thing it does is relax my muscles....
    agreed.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    That must be the reason I can't lose that last 10lbs... Going to have to take 'recovery' time before showering. Lol
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Busy moms who also work part or full time have too many other things to do to just sit at home and smell bad for two hours. There is no way I am running all my errands without having had a shower and no way I have time to wait. After working out, I shower and GO! Nonstop, most days. I have four kids and a part time job.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    that is absurd!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    What the....?! I've never heard that before!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What nonsense. Shower if you're sweaty or smelly, and right away. Period.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "Dear Mom, I love you, but you may be completely batsht insane."
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "Dear Mom, I love you, but you may be completely batsht insane."

Hahahahahah this was my thought the entire time!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So i was talking to my step mother about the gym she just started recently attending, shes been going for about two weeks now, i was asking her various questions about the equipment they have, how busy they are, ect. Amongst these many questions i asked if they had a shower and locker room.

She replied she didnt know and that she tans then heads home and showers, she then said it doesnt matter because you have to wait two hours to shower. I told her i didnt believe that and i continued with i usually shower right away after my workouts, she looked at me like i had just slapped her in the face with a wet fish.

She said i was hurting myself by showering so quickly because it raises your blood pressure, i responded with "Only if its hotter then The fires in hell, i take luke warm showers." She then continued to spout off about how i didnt know what i was doing blah, blah, blah.

So heres the question i have: Is it SAFE to shower after a heavy workout, OR do you need to wait for two or so hours before you wash your sweaty stinky self?

No, you don't need to wait and to be honest, that is a ridiculous notion that it is bad for you to have a shower immediately after working out.

It is completely unhygienic to lounge around for a couple of hours sweaty. To do so creates superb surroundings for germs and bacteria and if you are on a slightly low ebb, you may find you will pick up colds and viruses that you would normally be able to fight off.