LOW CARB VS LOW FAT CONFUSION

Options
Ok I need some opinions! Here's the problem:

Mom lost 20lbs (from 200lbs) following a low FAT diet and limiting her calories. Male riend lost 20lbs (from 220) on a low CARB diet. Both in a 2 month period. Both watched their calories, mom much much more than my male friend. I have been watching calories but not macronutrients with no results after a month and a half (i've posted previously about it). SO my question is....

which diet works, low FAT or low CARB, and why??

(note: i understand that lifestyle changes, and not diet, are what we should aim for. however, with a wedding and hawaii honeymoon at the end of this april, i feel a temporary diet is necessary from now until then).

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Low fat makes no difference... it would be because low fat products have less calories than regular fat products. Fat is required in your diet. You need fat.

Low carb leads to more water loss.

Ultimately, fat loss is achieved by eating less calories than you use. If you have been watching calories without results check your sodium. Sodium will increase water weight. Any changes in workouts will increase water weight. ALso, with counting calories a lot of people either don't measure properly or forget to add things.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    They both lost by calorie restriction
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Low fat is unhealthy and will *kitten* up your hormones. Low carb is an acceptable way to create a calorie deficit. Going low carb isn't necessary as long as you achieve a calorie deficit and taken enough fats and protein.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.

It really doesn't have to be low fat or low carb. As long as you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a well balanced diet. In my case, that means fewer grains than most Americans, but not particularly low carb.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This.

As long as it results in a caloric deficit, any macro range will cause weight loss. What it comes down to is that some people are more comfortable with low-carb, low-fat or whatever - so it creates better dietary adherence.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The one that you can stick to for life is the one that works.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat, if you are after weight loss, cutting the carbs is the way to go.. (does not mean eat a pound of bacon with nitrates)
  • tennisfan77
    tennisfan77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the answer is how your body works. Due to a high blood lipid problem, I have to eat both low carb and low fat. Low fat means to restrict saturated fats, not all fats. How many servings of carbs to eat each day depends on your activity level, age, health history, and activity level. When setting up my new eating habits for health I sought the advice of a dietician. Since I am middle age, and not very active I was restricted to 4 servings of carbs a day and 10 grams of saturated fat. With eating that way and exercise I lost over 30 pounds, and got my blood lipid levels back into the healthy range.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This.

As long as it results in a caloric deficit, any macro range will cause weight loss. What it comes down to is that some people are more comfortable with low-carb, low-fat or whatever - so it creates better dietary adherence.

Yep...with the caveat that low fat is not a good idea as it can negatively impact hormonal balance and are necessary for healthy body functions.
  • Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat both work in different ways, but as long as you are following a deficit properly, then you will lose weight. In the end it is in/out, the type of food you bring in affects where you lose it from (Not meaning where on body, but what tissues, and only in dramatic cases). If you're on a low carb, you absolutely need to increase water intake, because the initial and most dramatic loss will be water weight.

Figure out which one works best for you, and if you're able, find a nutritionist who is familiar with both methods (and others!) to get a professional opinion based on your body type.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    This.

Yep...with the caveat that low fat is not a good idea as it can negatively impact hormonal balance and are necessary for healthy body functions.
    Yep.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This.

What Evgeni, AnvilHead and Sara said.^
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb, high fat, paleo diet. I definitely pay attention to my calories in addition to my macros. Eating this way works best for me as I've resolved several health and hormonal issues, and I just find it very agreeable and sustainable.

Sustainability is important to consider--eat in a way you'll want to continue eating after you've lost the weight. Make this a lifestyle change instead of a temporary diet.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Low fat is unhealthy and will *kitten* up your hormones. Low carb is an acceptable way to create a calorie deficit. Going low carb isn't necessary as long as you achieve a calorie deficit and taken enough fats and protein.

I eat tons of fat everyday. It's just a matter of the correct fat and what source it's coming from. Not all fat is created equal.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That's a great response!
    Low fat makes no difference... it would be because low fat products have less calories than regular fat products. Fat is required in your diet. You need fat.

Low carb leads to more water loss.

Ultimately, fat loss is achieved by eating less calories than you use. If you have been watching calories without results check your sodium. Sodium will increase water weight. Any changes in workouts will increase water weight. ALso, with counting calories a lot of people either don't measure properly or forget to add things.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The reason any diet that works actually works is because it has the user eating in a calorie deficit. You don't need low car or low fat or low anything. Just eat in a manner that makes sense to you. That is all.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    The reason any diet that works actually works is because it has the user eating in a calorie deficit...
    Here's a great read which discusses it in detail:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html

[ETA:] Note the articles in the "related links" section on the right side of the page. Lyle has a lot of good articles about diet/dieting, among other things.