Do squats work for ur stomach too?

Options
Not only do my thighs hurt but I can feel tightness in my stomach too.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yes
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, your whole core is involved heavily in compound exercises such as the squat.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    That's good to kno!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup. If you do it right. I find a LOT of exercises hit my core that I wouldn't have thought. It's important to tighten and stabilize your core for every move. Even standing bicep curls hit my core.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    cm-27376-050847eec52c0e.gif
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yup. If you do it right. I find a LOT of exercises hit my core that I wouldn't have thought. It's important to tighten and stabilize your core for every move. Even standing bicep curls hit my core.

Yep, if you're doing it correctly, you're holding your entire core tight and keeping your chest up, you should feel *some* in your stomach muscles. Not as much work as your doing with legs, but some.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes, deadlifts and lunges too!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    cm-27376-050847eec52c0e.gif

SERIOUSLY YES!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Squats are a compound movement which means that by nature they work a large number of the muscles in the body, provided form is correct. The reason being is because the natural function of the ab/core muscles is to stabilize and protect the spine from being overloaded. So when doing any lower body exercise that involves standing while supporting weight, provided you are not letting your back round (which is integral to injury prevention), your core is getting worked heavily--more heavily than it would be by crunches. Because it is what is preventing your spine from giving out while supporting weight.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you want to increase the amount that your core is working, try doing goblet squats. Here's a link with a picture:

http://www.oprah.com/health/Lose-the-Last-10-Pounds-Workout_1/5

When you're holding the weight in front of your body, you want to lean forward, but the purpose of the squat is to remain upright. This intensifies the core work when squatting.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    pretty much any exercise you do will work your abs... as long as you keep them "engaged". That's the whole premis of pilates. Your abs are your core, which means it is the centre of absolutely every movement your body does. Keep them tight all day long and you'll be working them!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Compound movements hit a lot of muscles. Here are some basics that should be in anybody's routine...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551&page=1
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you want to increase the amount that your core is working, try doing goblet squats.

You. Are. Evil.

Actually, I love goblet squats. Nothing like getting a good static arm workout in while you squat. And it will keep you from leaning forward when you squat down (bad form squats when holding the weight *will* make you fall over...). Kettle bells are a little easier to handle for this than a dumbbell, but, if that's all ya got...