Itching feeling while jogging

Options
2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I was told by a track runner whose coach told her that it was the increased circulation (blood flow and oxygen) getting to the fat cells that normally aren't used to the activity/stimulation. I don't know if that's true or not. I know that it would only happen when I hadn't been running/active for a long time and when I started back to it, I'd itch all over my body but especially my hips, butt and thighs. Now, it doesn't happen at all.

Probably depends on whether it is coming from "inside" the fat or lean tissue---or on the surface (skin irritation). I get a strange prickly, itchy sensation inside the fat deposits on my thighs, hips and abdomen when I'm working hard in the pool--especially, later in the session (I do pool exercise because I have arthritis). I assume that it is what you have noted, the activation of fat stores for fueling the exercise. I also get very thirsty and when I leave the pool, I'm always surprised by the amount of urine that I dump (and I go to the washroom just before entering the pool--yeah, I know--TMI). A vet once told me that mammals who are using their fat stores for energy in cold weather, have an increased need for water and that they will urinate more than normal. I suspect that this is what is going on here. So this is a good thing.

Many people get skin irritation from sweat and I have heard that Vitamin C cream helps a lot with that--you put it on after you shower. Clothes can cause chafing which can be remedied by getting better clothing. There are clothes designed for minimizing chafing.

I think that is probable vitamin E cream.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me. I had to actually stop jogging on the treadmill to scratch the heck out of my legs. I figured it was because I came in from the cold and was warming up. Good to know I am not some freak of nature.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was told by a track runner whose coach told her that it was the increased circulation (blood flow and oxygen) getting to the fat cells that normally aren't used to the activity/stimulation. I don't know if that's true or not. I know that it would only happen when I hadn't been running/active for a long time and when I started back to it, I'd itch all over my body but especially my hips, butt and thighs. Now, it doesn't happen at all.

Probably depends on whether it is coming from "inside" the fat or lean tissue---or on the surface (skin irritation). I get a strange prickly, itchy sensation inside the fat deposits on my thighs, hips and abdomen when I'm working hard in the pool--especially, later in the session (I do pool exercise because I have arthritis). I assume that it is what you have noted, the activation of fat stores for fueling the exercise. I also get very thirsty and when I leave the pool, I'm always surprised by the amount of urine that I dump (and I go to the washroom just before entering the pool--yeah, I know--TMI). A vet once told me that mammals who are using their fat stores for energy in cold weather, have an increased need for water and that they will urinate more than normal. I suspect that this is what is going on here. So this is a good thing.

Many people get skin irritation from sweat and I have heard that Vitamin C cream helps a lot with that--you put it on after you shower. Clothes can cause chafing which can be remedied by getting better clothing. There are clothes designed for minimizing chafing.

I think that is probable vitamin E cream.

Nope--it's vitamin C cream. I have some in my medicine cabinet--I always have some on hand. I spend a lot of time in chlorinated pools and I used to get an itchy rash (where my skin was most sensitive) until I started applying vitamin C cream after showering off. It is important to really scrub your skin with a washcloth and soap to make sure you get rid of toxic compounds that cling to the sebum deposits on your skin. The vitamin C cream is very nourishing to the skin.
  • abbSuLb
    Options
    the exact same thing happens to me. but do u think what they suggested before by wearing tight shorts that it would help?
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    ohhh i have the same problem, it was really problematic as a kid. i thought it was dry skin or something. its better now but occasionally it comes up. Thanks for the tips!