WEIGHT GAIN AND GUTTED TRIED REALLY HARD TO LOOSE

Options
Hi can someone shed some light on why I have put weight on ?? I am so gutted and disheartened right now. I was eating less than 600 calories a day for at least a week. then was advised it was not enough, so went to 1200, sometimes eating a little less and on one occasion went over by around 49 calories. but only went over the one day,

I bought some scales today, and just weighed myself this afternoon. I have put a stone on, I have checked the scales too by weighing some tins on the kitchen scales and converting the weight on line to see if the scales are wrong. they are weighing a pound heavier, so by taking this into account I have gained weight by a stone. apart from just not eating at all I don't know what to do, I don't really exercise because of health problems my mobility is restricted,

Replies

• Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're in denial about how much you're actually eating. Because what you describe hardly seems possible. Someone is going to ask you to open your food diary and give some stats. It's hard to help you figure this out without more info about you.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you have actually been eating 600-1000 cal like you said in another post, there is no way you should have gained any weight. Especially not a stone! I suspect that you might have no idea what you are actually eating (or have not known your starting weight).

Of all the people who need to go speak to a professional, either doctor or dietician, you need to the most. I don't know your weight or anything about you except that you have posted that you have very limited mobility which, by itself, necessitates a visit to the doctor to set up an appropriate plan for weight loss. Obviously, what you have been doing is unhealthy. From messing with hormones to severe malnutrition, unless under the supervision of a doctor, this is not an appropriate diet at all.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're in denial about how much you're actually eating. Because what you describe hardly seems possible. Someone is going to ask you to open your food diary and give some stats. It's hard to help you figure this out without more info about you.

This. Far too many times we don't eat enough, don't track everything we eat and drink, don't weigh and measure everything, etc.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Your body will take abit of time to get use to the food you will see a gain in the first few weeks but then with the right clean food an exercise (I only walk) you will get there I eat 1200 cals an have a cheat day on the weekend and I'm losing around 1-2lbs a week which makes me happy x
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to weigh again on the scales you originally weighed in on to check because either those or your new ones are way off.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Only eating 600 calories a day? Your body is holding onto everything it can because you are starving yourself. You should really talk to a doctor. I know for this week, I have had 1 day where I ate over 1200 calories because I have been sick in bed all week and don't have the appetite to eat. I am on the road back to eating my 1580 calories a day, but it is going to take a little bit longer because I still am not 100%
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with almost everyone else. You probably do not know how much you really are eating. If you just bought scales, how did you determine your starting weight? Something is clearly not being recorded properly. It is either your starting weight or what you are actually consuming. People do not gain weight while starving themselves. And no one should starve their self in order to lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long since you increased your calories?

Do you weigh and measure your food with a food scale?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi can someone shed some light on why I have put weight on ?? I am so gutted and disheartened right now. I was eating less than 600 calories a day for at least a week. then was advised it was not enough, so went to 1200, sometimes eating a little less and on one occasion went over by around 49 calories. but only went over the one day,

I bought some scales today, and just weighed myself this afternoon. I have put a stone on, I have checked the scales too by weighing some tins on the kitchen scales and converting the weight on line to see if the scales are wrong. they are weighing a pound heavier, so by taking this into account I have gained weight by a stone. apart from just not eating at all I don't know what to do, I don't really exercise because of health problems my mobility is restricted,

SO if you just bought some scales today, then how did you know what you weighed before? If you used different scales, then that could be the problem right there. Scales can vary drastically from one to another. You need to measure your waist, hips, bust, etc and use that to gauge your progress. Now that you have scales, use that number as your starting weight and weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, and always on the same scale.

I am 49 and have a lot of limited mobility myself. I have gotten stronger over the past 6 months, but I am still considered quite sedentary, even with riding my bike 3-4 days a week. This, plus the fact that I have a high BF%, puts my BMR and TDEE at a very low amount. I maintain around 1600-1700 per day gross. I eat around 1200 to be able to lose 1 pound per week. This is just my reality, that I cannot eat as much as people who are younger and more active.
    But I make my calories count, by concentrating on proteins and good healthy fats, while cutting back on my carbs considerably. Since I am not that active, I don't need the extra carbs for energy, but the proteins help me maintain my muscle, and the healthy fats keep my hormones in line and keep me feeling fuller on the lower calorie level.

So give it a week with the new scale, stick to your 1200 and make sure you get at least 60 grams of protein, and add some healthy fats such as nuts, avocados, olives, etc. Then be patient and see what happens. If you continue to gain on the new scale, then go see your doctor to find out what is causing your metabolism to be so low.
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will gladly open my food diary when I can work out how to do it, I have been basically living off oatabix and asda pre packed salad, tea and coffee, and lactose free milk. I did have 5 or 6 oreo bikkies but counted them. I have not eaten anything without counting it, I am under the dietician but not due my appointment until next month, so I thought I would try myself, the diet I tried for the first week was the bariatric post op diet, although not going down that road. I thought it may give me a boost. I am not in denial to what I am eating, at the end of the day I would only be cheating myself. and keeping my calories low if I have gone over say with the milk I would still be coming under the 1200 calories. the scales I got I was aware they may be slightly out, that's why I weighed the tins.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When you eat that few calories, your body does go into starvation mode. Many times what you are experiencing is a harboring of weight by the body. It will choose to hoard everything because of fear. I noticed that you said nothing about any type of exercise in your post. If you were exercising and only giving your body 600 calories, then you were not even giving it enough fuel to maintain its life sustaining duties.

I agree with the other post that you should weigh yourself on the scale you used for your initial weight. It may be that it was off. Scales vary with the slighest variance in floor tilt and covering. You really do need to compare.

Also, be diligent in tracking everything you eat. Sometimes we say, "It was only 4 m&ms," "I only had a spoonful," or "It was only one bite." All of those things add up.

Lastly, (and I promise I will stop) is that your body gets used to what you are doing. If you eliminate carbs, that only works for so long. It goes for what you eat and the exercises you do. Routines and weekly menus are great, because they allow us to do things without thinking. However, soon they cease having an effect. If you always walk one route, walk it backwards, add hills, vary your pace. If you work out at a gym, do your routine in a different order. Keep your body guessing.
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I knew what I weighed because I had had my assessment appointment at the weight management clinic.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Google The South Beach Diet and read up on it. It is a good balanced plan that is good for people who are obese or have blood sugar issues, or have a family history of it. It is also healthy for pretty much anyone. The first 2 weeks you cut out all sugars, fruits, grains and starches, to break the carb habit, but after the first 2 weeks you slowly add back in fruits and whole grains. You can even skip the first 2 weeks, or adjust it to your needs. I left in a serving of fruit when I did it, but have kept out most of the grains and starches.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I knew what I weighed because I had had my assessment appointment at the weight management clinic.

Different scales are going to have dramatically different weights. It sucks but it's true. Add to that water fluctuations and the fact that you just increased your calories and you're not really going to be able to say for sure that you've gained anything.

Just enter today's weight as your starting weight. Keep eating more calories. Have you figured your BMR? Ideally you should be netting your BMR. And try to be patient.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Then you need to weigh again on that scale to see your progress.

The scale at the weight clinic was most likely off, if you checked your new scale at home and it was correct. Change your starting weight to today's weight from your new scale, and start from there. Be patient, you will get it all figured out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    To open your diary go to My Home, Settings, Diary Settings, Public.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Not all scales will weigh you the same. When you want to track your weight only track it based on one scale. Not yours and the doctors.

My mother has two scales, one digital and one dial. I have mine. I can use the three scales, side by side, one right after the other and they will all have different readings.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you are not eating enough your body goes into what is refered to as starvation mode. Then when you increase your calories you gain as your metabolism is lowered. By spreading your food out over the day you will loose the weight. work out what you are going to eat for a day (menu plan) get the food ready portion it out. using scales and measuring cups. Then you should technically loose the weight. As already suggested please consult your doctor or a registered dietician. Not a weight management clinic unless they have licenced medical weight loss people present. This does not include a nurse or a registered nursing assistant. They are not trained in the type of physiology you are describing.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Not all scales will weigh you the same. When you want to track your weight only track it based on one scale. Not yours and the doctors.

My mother has two scales, one digital and one dial. I have mine. I can use the three scales, side by side, one right after the other and they will all have different readings.
    this.
    i have my scale at home that i use weekly to keep an idea of my progress, but the only scale i actually go by is my doctors - and it tends to be about 5 lbs less than my home scale.