Can I lose weight just by walking.

Options
Hi I've been ill for like 5 months, getting dizzy and sick when do anything strenuous and start to fill rough. Nearly always get lightheaded most of the day. Been doctors everything is fine just trying to change some tablets I'm on and see if that works.
Anyway can I lose weight just by walking....is it possible. Till I get myself sorted out.
Normally when I try lifestyle changes I hit the gym ,play football and stuff.

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Well definitely take care of that with your doctor, but there's no reason you can't get a decent workout walking! Just walk at a brisk pace and maybe on some hills.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Id imagine yes along with a calorie defecit too. I would think that walking uphill would help with burning calories too. I walk a lot an dI know it does .Its better than sitting on your butt all day.Anything that gets your heart rate excelerated for 30 mins or so I would beleive would be concisidered exercise .Evening cleaning around the house is atleast when I do.
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Talk with a doc first but walking is thought to be one of the best exercises for people to lose and keep it off!

Keep in mind: you burn the same amount of calories walking 2 miles as you do running two miles. Isn't that neat?! Just takes a little longer! Try to engage your abs/ core and pump your arms while you walk for more of a workout too!

Good luck!

Ps. Healthy eating is a must too tho.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    yes I did a 5 k walk and dropped a size. in fact I was the only speed walker the rest ran and I lost more weight than my teammates. the only one who hasn't gained thers back.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lost my weight on caloric deficit and yoga in the morning (nothing fancy, glorified stretching it is at begining) and 30min-1h walks in the evening. I advice against yoga is you are geting dizzy out of blue but walks should be good , they do improve overall fitness, be it a tiny improvement.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You sure can. You can lose weight by diet alone.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating at a calorie deficit and walking around 3-4 miles a day.

But my advice knowing what I know now I would have put in some weights at the start too. I do it now but it would have made my appearance better if I had toned at the same time.

So, if you can do a little with the weights add those in at the start
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 90 pounds using walking only for exercise. I was so out of shape, that was all I could do, but with time I got in better shape and started tougher workouts. So to answer your question, you can definitely lose weight with walking as your only exercise!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes, exactly. Walking is just icing on the cake.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    yes..i used to do it every day..i walked 2 miles a day because it was all i had to do..i had no equipment at home, and i could not afford the gym..i think i lost 1 to 1.5 pounds a week, but i was bigger, so losses were easier..good luck
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES, walking was all I did the first 2 months, I only added in some workouts to built some muscle. You can do it!!
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah , I play a lot of golf so my main exercise is the walking involved and keeping my calories under control has allowed me to lose steadily these past few weeks.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can lose weight without doing any exercise at all, although exercise helps build your calorie deficit and benefits your health.

I'm more concerned about the lightheadedness doing stuff that you used to do. Hope you can get that worked out with the doctor. Curious what calorie deficit you are running right now?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight so far with just eating well and walking.
    So, yeah. You can.
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    Kind of. You'll probably find that most of your weight loss will be due to reducing your calorie intake, not exercise (in my case, and I exercised a lot, it was 2/3 diet, 1/3 exercise). But, yes, you can do a ton just walking -- especially if you're more overweight. When I was over 300#, I could burn a LOT of calories just by walking for 60-90 minutes at a moderate (3.4) mph pace on a treadmill.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just walk long distances if you aren't able to walk at a fast pace.
  • Canbfit4life
    Options
    Yes! you can any movement is better than nothing I recommend walking anytime if youre having health issues that arent resolved:smile::smile:
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow people
    That was a fast response. Yeah I'm going to try walking briskly with the dog(even tho he is little and slows me down by sniffing every blade of grass lol) starting again next week. I take him out walks anyway, I just need to stop eating crap soon.
  • lisahaug9
    Options
    Yes you can! Before I had my kids I lost 30 pounds from walking 4-5 miles a day (and watching my calories). Now that I am focusing on myself again this is my plan of attack again.

Good luck!
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options

Exactly! ;-)