Looking for Healthy Eggplant Recipes

Options
Zumaria1
Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
I bought an eggplant and really want to use in a different way than the typical way I make it, Eggplant Parmesan. Once I had a Middle Eastern style, with raisins and onions and peppers, but no idea how it was prepared. Anyone have any great recipes to share???

Replies

• healthngrace4life
    Options
    I watched Rachel Ray make this dish on one of her shows. It looks really good. I think I will try it sometime soon myself.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/quick-fake-out-stuffed-eggplant-recipe/index.html
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cubed and sautéed with sriracha. Or lightly breaded and baked for eggplant parm..
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    One of my friends showed me a recipe that used slices of eggplant to make mini pizzas.
  • kwennerholm
    kwennerholm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to roast it with a little olive oil and salt, and then layer it in a lasagna with roasted zuchinni, mushroom, and spinach for a YUMMY, healthy version of a classic lasagna
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    moussaka with ground turkey! yummm
  • emilyrose6
    emilyrose6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's a bit time-consuming, but sooooooo worth it! It's also vegan-friendly if you don't serve it with yogurt. SUPER spicy, too.

3 medium potatoes, quartered
    3 medium eggplants
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, minced
    2-3 small green chilis
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon ginger
    3 tablespoons coriander
    2 teaspoons masala or curry powder
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 med. tomato, diced
    dash cayenne pepper
    juice of one lemon
    1 tablespoon honey
    cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 400 deg. F
    2. Half eggplants and scoop out centers, leaving approx. 1/3 inch thick shell. Chop centers.
    3. Boil 3 cups water in small saucepan. Cook potatoes 15 minutes. Add chopped eggplant and cover. Cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes and eggplants together with fork until textured but not lumpy.
    4. Sauté onion, garlic, and chilis in vegetable oil.
    5. Add sautéed ingredients to eggplant mixture. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
    5. Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Stuff eggplant shells and place in dish. Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.

Serve with rice or couscous and plain yogurt.
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to dice eggplant into small cubes, sautee with some olive oil and add my favorite tomato sauce to make spaghetti sauce. I like the taste and texture of the eggplant instead of ground beef. You've inspired me to go pick up an eggplant this week.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for Imam Bayildi. It's Turkish and super-yummy. When I make it, I use very less oil and more veggies and since I don't like cinnamon, no cinnamon. It's still fantastic though.

1 medium aubergines (eggplants)
    3/4 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 onion, finely chopped
    1/2 garlic, cloves crushed
    1/4 green pepper (capsicum)
    1/4 red pepper (capsicum)
    1/4 to taste parsley, good handful chopped
    3/4 large tomatoes, blanched, skinned and coarsely chopped
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 to taste black pepper
    1/4 to taste salt
    1/8-1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 lemon, juice of

Directions:

Heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
    Slice each aubergine in half lengthwise.
    Scoop out the flesh from the aubergines and chop.
    Blanch the aubergine shells in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain upside down.
    Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute the onion until soft and golden.
    Add crushed garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
    Add parsley, chopped aubergine, tomatoes, green and red pepper, cinnamon, salt and black pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
    Add lemon juice and sugar to taste.
    Arrange the aubergine boats in a baking dish and fill each one with the filling.
    Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
    Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.

ETA: This recipe is from Food.com
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's a bit time-consuming, but sooooooo worth it! It's also vegan-friendly if you don't serve it with yogurt. SUPER spicy, too.

3 medium eggplants
    1 onion, minced
    2-3 small green chilis
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon ginger
    3 tablespoons coriander
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 med. tomato, diced
    dash cayenne pepper
    juice of one lemon
    1 tablespoon honey
    cooking spray

2. Half eggplants and scoop out centers, leaving approx. 1/3 inch thick shell. Chop centers.
    3. Boil 3 cups water in small saucepan. Cook potatoes 15 minutes. Add chopped eggplant and cover. Cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes and eggplants together with fork until textured but not lumpy.
    5. Add sautéed ingredients to eggplant mixture. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
    5. Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Stuff eggplant shells and place in dish. Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.

This sounds fantastic! Some people following a vegan diet might prefer to use agave or another plant-based sweetener instead of honey. I know not all people who follow a vegan diet have a problem with honey, but some still prefer not to use it. This recipe really sounds like something my hubby would like. Thanks for sharing this!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm i just roast it with a lil olive oil
  • sandeegirl22
    Options
    I'm looking how to share recipes within the community. Can you help me?
  • Zumaria1
    Options

3 medium eggplants
    1 onion, minced
    2-3 small green chilis
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon ginger
    3 tablespoons coriander
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 med. tomato, diced
    dash cayenne pepper
    juice of one lemon
    1 tablespoon honey
    cooking spray

This sounds very good!! I like the fact that I could use as a side dish or by itself.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    This is a recipe for Imam Bayildi. It's Turkish and super-yummy. When I make it, I use very less oil and more veggies and since I don't like cinnamon, no cinnamon. It's still fantastic though.

1 medium aubergines (eggplants)
    3/4 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 onion, finely chopped
    1/2 garlic, cloves crushed
    1/4 green pepper (capsicum)
    1/4 red pepper (capsicum)
    1/4 to taste parsley, good handful chopped
    3/4 large tomatoes, blanched, skinned and coarsely chopped
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 to taste black pepper
    1/4 to taste salt
    1/8-1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 lemon, juice of

Directions:

Heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
    Slice each aubergine in half lengthwise.
    Scoop out the flesh from the aubergines and chop.
    Blanch the aubergine shells in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain upside down.
    Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute the onion until soft and golden.
    Add crushed garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
    Add parsley, chopped aubergine, tomatoes, green and red pepper, cinnamon, salt and black pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
    Add lemon juice and sugar to taste.
    Arrange the aubergine boats in a baking dish and fill each one with the filling.
    Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
    Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.

ETA: This recipe is from Food.com

I like this alot too!!! I like curry and spicy so it would be no problem for me.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    I'm looking how to share recipes within the community. Can you help me?

I think when you create a recipe with a dish you are making, you are given the option of sharing it, you just click to share it, and fill out the info that's required.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    I like to dice eggplant into small cubes, sautee with some olive oil and add my favorite tomato sauce to make spaghetti sauce. I like the taste and texture of the eggplant instead of ground beef. You've inspired me to go pick up an eggplant this week.

Interesting, I never thought of that, but its true, its texture could easily replace meat in that dish.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    moussaka with ground turkey! yummm

YUMMMM!! I love moussaka, and I totally forgot its used in moussaka. I will def try it out.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    Cubed and sautéed with sriracha. Or lightly breaded and baked for eggplant parm..

I also love the flavor of sriracha, usually as a condiment, never thought to use in cooking!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Bump, i would love to use some of these.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    I ended up roasting it sliced in the oven with diced potatoes, and olive oil, garlic powder, and oregano. I am going to put a little balsamic vinaigrette with it too. Thanks to all for the recipes, I will def put some of these to use in the future!!!
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This isn't a recipe, but simply a tip for preparing eggplant to use in recipes.

Slice your eggplant 1/4" to 1/2" thick (depending on how you want to use it), spritz both sides with cooking spray, and "squash" it in your George Foreman Grill or Panini Maker. Browns both sides and pre- cooks it quickly with no added fat or calories. I use a Cuisinart "Griddler" that works great for veggies like eggplant, onion, peppers, zucchini strips, etc etc.

I do this to my eggplant slices before I use them in eggplant lasagna (eggplant instead of pasta noodles), and it comes out great every time.