Do you think MFP is triggering to people in recovery

Options
2»

Replies

• Dernbach235
    Dernbach235 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have recovered from Bulimia (if you ever really can), I find that I do tend to "obsess" over my logging of meals and exercise. I do get frustrated when I'm over my calorie intake or my weight loss ticker isn't moving as fast as I would like it to. I get tempted to binge and purge. What keeps me from doing this is my desire to remain healthy and to prove to myself that I am stronger than the disease. Keep your head up and be strong, you can overcome and thrive!!
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree with that someone would count calories either way with or without mfp
    I am obsessed with my weigh ins and counts! If it goes in
    My mouth it goes in my mfp diary! I find it a useful tool
    Because it does the math for u!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've just seen your profile page and your goals, both of which worry me. Even your name on here worries me. Please seek help from a professional body x
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the person... I mean I feel like if you have more of the binging tendencies, it helps you keep check and you may be less likely to binge knowing you're gonna have to put it down... but then other people may get obsessed with the calories and burning calories and staying under a certain unhealthy number.
    I was a bit on the fence about starting with MFP because I knew it may easily trigger me but was hoping it may end up helping me instead... and it TOTALLY has been. I'm actually able to lose some weight in a healthy way and not so fast that it's bad for my body... and I'm okay with it. But it's totally the person... I feel like there's two ends up the spectrum- super triggering and potentially being a reason for relapse or actually helpful in the recovery process :)
    You just have to know which one if you and make sure to stay away if you're on the end where it's triggering to you.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I looked at your goals and i completely understand that
    U c yourself different than what other people c u
    But your goal weight is going to shut down your body
    End result may be death or horible body problems!
    Sorry if im being brutally honest but unfortunatly i know what your goin through
    Maybe try getting help! Easy to say hard to do
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    60 pounds is not enough for an adult. I don't fully believe in BMI as the ultimate authority, but that would make yours 11.7, and normal starts at 18.5

I really hope that you just don't understand how little 60 pounds is and you aren't actually striving for that. Please see a doctor if you are
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Get into treatment. This is an unhealthy attitude about your body. Also, perhaps learning about nutrition. A lot of the foods that you are eating in your food journal would trigger over eating/binge eating in me. Read those clean eating books. I too have a tendency to binge eat when I get depressed, one of the things the doctor told me to do was to NOT eat sugar. (I went to a doctor who specializes on food addiction - she is the one who told me to log my food into MFP) She would only give me 25 grams of sugar per day that do not come from fruit, veggies or beans. When things get out of hand I over do it with the sugar grams, because she is right - sugar is the gateway for me to binge. I never had bulimia - just binging. (enough to have me gaining and losing the same 45lbs for years). It is a day by day journey. Another thing she had me do is deep relaxation exercises, deep breathing and attend OA meetings. (I had a hard time with the meetings)
This discussion has been closed.