Worth losing water weight?

Options
I'm just curious if it's worth losing water weight. I bought this waist trimmer thing at Walmart which was only about $7.00 or so. It makes me sweat a lot around my waist & back! I've never tried the plastic suit thing that some people wear when they walk since I thought it wouldn't be comfortable. :laugh: Anyway, I wondered if it was worth losing water weight. I drink tons of water throughout the day & especially while I'm working out. I've heard it's not good to wear something to lose all the water since you could be dehydrating yourself. Is this true? What are your thoughts on suits & such that help rid of water weight quickly?

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    You're not really losing weight then, are you? Nope. Water doesnt' count....you want to lose fat and keep muscle. You need water to keep you energized, hydrated and functioning normally. All things are affected by dehydration....and by the time you are actually thirsty, you have been dehydrated for a while so it's good to drink even when you are not.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    this is DANGEROUS! you can dehydrate yourself very quickly and as the previous poster says, it won't help you lose fat, it will only make you lose the things you NEED.
    the plastic suits etc. are generally used as a temporary last resort for dancers, models, police/fire or kids trying to reach a goal weight to qualify for their sport or profession.
    a little water weight is normal at times but eventually your body will get used to a normal level and then you won't see much variation from that point.
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Losing water weight is something you can do for a special event or something, but not to be done on a regular basis. Very unhealthy. Out bodies need water. When your body gets less water because you are trying to loose the water weight it starts holding on to the water you do give it so you won't get dehydrated. Lower your sodium consuption as much as you can and drink more water (I know sounds weird, drink more to have less but it does work I swear). Also, for a week before said event, do your cardio workouts buddled up in sweat pants and sweat shirt and get your sweat on. Drinks lots though, especially when working out.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I beleive we all loose water weight, which I beleive is why they state that people who workout should drink more than the recommended 64 oz of water daily, so you dont dehydrate your body, because we sweat alot when we work our and loose alot of water, so we in turn need alot of water to replenish it back.

I used the plastic suits in the past, they make you sweat alot, but the pants part of the suit, tears in no time, waste of money.

Now I work out in layers of clothing to get a better sweat going on....but I drink alot of water.....since week I started drinking more than I usually do, I upted it to 96+ oz of water...I am testing a theory that drinking more water aids in loosing weight....will see how it goes and update you all.
  • earlie
    earlie Posts: 22
    Options
    I've tried the waist trimmer and I didn't really see a difference. I just sweat a lot! I drink lots of water (more than 64oz) during the day because I've been working out a lot and because I been taking my workouts outside because the weather has been so beautiful.

Due to all the training you are currently doing you are going to lose water weight. Just make sure you are getting lots and lots of water to stay hydrated.

I like to layer clothing if I feel I need to sweat more but I also drink water...water and more water
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm losing weight at a great rate, so I'm not going to put myself in danger at all. I was also told by someone else that it's only good for trying to get into maybe a dress for a big event or something. I will continue to drink my tons of water & just stick to what I've been doing. :drinker: It didn't really seem to make sense to try to lose water weight anyway! Thanks!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Good for you greeneyes! Good luck getting into your goal bikini! You can do it!