Cooking advice

lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
So, I'm a beginner cook. I used to hate cooking, but now I'm starting to enjoy it. I get most of the recipes online, but there's a lot I can't do because of cookware/bakeware that I have yet to get.

Are there any "must have" essentials that I need, or any advice that would come in handy as I'm learning to cook?

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    I use a nonstick electric skillet all the time. It works great for cooking meat, vegetables, eggs, pretty much anything you could cook on the stove. I love that it is nonstick. And it has a lid and different temperature setting so you have a lot of variety in what you can cook.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you're going to be learning to cook real food, good knives are one of the best things to spend money on. Good knives that you can sharpen yourself -- not serrated. Get them, get a sharpener, and never, ever put them in the dishwasher or soak them....

My second most important thing is probably my 10" cast iron pan. People will talk like they're some kind of specialty item, but I cook almost everything in that. Sure, its not nonstick, but that means I can use metal utensils in it. And I'll be adding fat when I cook anyway, as I'm firmly in the camp of fat-isn't-bad.

Those, plus a saucepot for things that need boiling (rice, potatoes, squash, grains, soups) are in use almost every day.

My husband bakes all our bread, so we have two baking sheets he forms round loaves on. Also handy because I try to follow the "no junk food unless we make it at home" rule, so the kids get oatmeal cookies in their lunches as treats.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Thanks !
  • If you're going to be learning to cook real food, good knives are one of the best things to spend money on. Good knives that you can sharpen yourself -- not serrated. Get them, get a sharpener, and never, ever put them in the dishwasher or soak them....

My second most important thing is probably my 10" cast iron pan. People will talk like they're some kind of specialty item, but I cook almost everything in that. Sure, its not nonstick, but that means I can use metal utensils in it. And I'll be adding fat when I cook anyway, as I'm firmly in the camp of fat-isn't-bad.

Those, plus a saucepot for things that need boiling (rice, potatoes, squash, grains, soups) are in use almost every day.

My husband bakes all our bread, so we have two baking sheets he forms round loaves on. Also handy because I try to follow the "no junk food unless we make it at home" rule, so the kids get oatmeal cookies in their lunches as treats.

^This, plus a good quality non-stick skillet for stir fries and sautees, and plan for a dutch oven that can be usex for soups, etc.. Buy one really good chef's knife rather than a set of cheaper ones. Baking sheets are great for roasting vegetables and cooking chicken and such as well as baking.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    I use an electric skillet alot, also a crockpot comes in handy for busy days and I love pyrex glass cookware for baking and I make alot of soups so a big Stock Pot comes in handy, For inexpensive but still pretty good pans you can get ones at Walmart called Wear-Ever that are great they are non stick and have strainers buildt into the lids, Stainless steel bowls are nice for salads and such, is great advice I agree on the knives. Knives can make a huge difference when cooking and I like meat injectors too for cooking turkey or things of that nature.
  • Digital measuring scales are a must have, as are volume measuring spoons. (1tbsp, 1tsp, etc)

A really, really good pan, and a good griddle. An electric whisk and a really good spatula (it's my favourite! haha) are good to have too, but not essential. I've been living without an electric whisk just fine as my old one broke. :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    CROCKPOT!! you can cook so many yummy easy meals in those
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    If you're going to be learning to cook real food, good knives are one of the best things to spend money on. Good knives that you can sharpen yourself -- not serrated. Get them, get a sharpener, and never, ever put them in the dishwasher or soak them....

I was just coming here to say knives and a cast iron skillet. :)

I don't use my cast iron for everything, or even most things, but it is really handy for certain recipes.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    I have 3 small plastic cutting boards and they make prep work very easy. I also have several pans (8 x 8) (9 x 13) because I make fish a lot. I wanted to get a few more, so I checked the local thrift store and got a few (and some nice water bottles) for a very good price. I also bought a few small very sharp knives at an outlet store (the kind that are brightly colored and have a sheath) and they are awesome. I bought an expensive one from Pampered Chef and I like it too. Practice is the only way we all learned so you are on the right path.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    I cook most days. I don't believe in specialty cooking tools (who's got the space for all that stuff?). I can get a lot of it done with some basics.
    1. Good set of heavy knives you can sharpen.
    2. Good HEAVY bottomed, large frying pan. (Light pans warp when high heat is used)
    3 Couple sauce pans of various sizes.

Some things you can cheap out on. I don't spend a lot on baking pans. Some things, quality really matters (good knives are a cook's best friend).